Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

great thread. Thanks for the pics and sharing with us.
77 911tt EFI wide body red/ Slightly modified SOLD
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
912 Geek

Garage
Phew! Damn time machine here!

Yes, that's me and my '65 (three-dial) 912 in the first photo. Still have the car, in better shape than ever. Unfortunately, Norm Martin passed away just two weeks ago in Arizona.

The red/orange 911E is probably me or Anne at Aspen, still with 14" wheels, which would make it Richard's car today. The green-with-yellow-stripe-and-hood-lights Targa is Bob Ruder, who had an Eagle County Sheriff's Posse license plate frame; he called the car "Frog". The maroon 911 with the yellow sticker in the rear window is probably Grady Clay, owner of Rennenhaus at the time; a very fast car and driver; I think he still owns it. The guy in the shades and blue shirt with camera in front of the camper (at La Junta for Aspen Mountain Region's charter presentation--why Chuck Stoddard was there) is Marty Gorce, who had earlier founded the International Porsche Speedster Society (bet you never heard of that); he still lives here in Boulder and has a 356 Cab.

The guy in the red-striped shirt with the orange "RSR" (built from a street Carrera, I recall) is Hal Shaw, from Vail, who was just one of the local autocross/drivers school guys until he bought a new 934 and went on to become a successful Trans-Am racer. The lady at the front of the car may be his sister, Sally Veitch, who owned the red 906 that Hal vintage-raced; the 906 is now in David Jenkins' collection in Colorado.

The guy standing left of the cars in the driveway is Chuck Cooper, who moved to California in about 1973. The folks on the right are Heddi and Jerry Arnold.

The "airport" race course is, of course, La Junta.

Yes, that's Norm's Elva-Porsche. He took it to Aspen, but the brakes went wonky. In a fit of stupidity, he asked me to help him fix them. I found that the master cylinder seals were shot. He promised that if I could fix it, I could drive it, so I tried pretty hard, but the MC was some kind of odd British part, and no seals were available in Aspen, so the car stayed safe. I think Norm had bought it from a guy in California who didn't drive it much, which is probably why the seals wore when he started using it. Today the car, rebodied, is in the Collier collection.

Yes, I do have hundreds of similar shots (Anne and I edited the region newsletter, so I shot a lot of stuff, mainly black and white), and yes, someday I'll scan and post them...

Last edited by fbarrett; 12-29-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbarrett View Post
Phew! Damn time machine here!

Yes, that's me and my '65 (three-dial) 912 in the first photo. Still have the car, in better shape than ever. Unfortunately, Norm Martin passed away just two weeks ago in Arizona.

The red/orange 911E is probably me or Anne at Aspen, still with 14" wheels, which would make it Richard's car today. The green-with-yellow-stripe-and-hood-lights Targa is Bob Ruder, who had an Eagle County Sheriff's Posse license plate frame; he called the car "Frog". The maroon 911 with the yellow sticker in the rear window is probably Grady Clay, owner of Rennenhaus at the time; a very fast car and driver; I think he still owns it. The guy in the shades and blue shirt with camera in front of the camper (at La Junta for Aspen Mountain Region's charter presentation--why Chuck Stoddard was there) is Marty Gorce, who had earlier founded the International Porsche Speedster Society (bet you never heard of that); he still lives here in Boulder and has a 356 Cab.

The guy in the red-striped shirt with the orange "RSR" (built from a street Carrera, I recall) is Hal Shaw, from Vail, who was just one of the local autocross/drivers school guys until he bought a new 934 and went on to become a successful Trans-Am racer. The lady at the front of the car may be his sister, Sally Veitch, who owned the red 906 that Hal vintage-raced; the 906 is now in David Jenkins' collection in Colorado.

The guy standing left of the cars in the driveway is Chuck Cooper, who moved to California in about 1973. The folks on the right are Heddi and Jerry Arnold.

The "airport" race course is, of course, La Junta.

Yes, that's Norm's Elva-Porsche. He took it to Aspen, but the brakes went wonky. In a fit of stupidity, he asked me to help him fix them. I found that the master cylinder seals were shot. He promised that if I could fix it, I could drive it, so I tried pretty hard, but the MC was some kind of odd British part, and no seals were available in Aspen, so the car stayed safe. I think Norm had bought it from a guy in California who didn't drive it much, which is probably why the seals wore when he started using it. Today the car, rebodied, is in the Collier collection.

Yes, I do have hundreds of similar shots (Anne and I edited the region newsletter, so I shot a lot of stuff, mainly black and white), and yes, someday I'll scan and post them...
Thanks Frank. It's nice to have the background on these slides.

Fred Veitch also had a Eagle County Sheriff's Posse license plate frame on his '75 930 that I now own. I'm still hoping that someday you can locate that cover photo for RMR's newsletter of Fred with the car parked in front of a Household Finance office on Broadway in Denver, next door to Grady Clay's shop. I'm trying to figure out when the shark fins were added to my '75 930 as they were not on the car when it was delivered from the factory.

Rich
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Hereís a few more that were on the same 35mm slide-film roll but were taken in Seattle, Washington during the 1975 Porsche Parade. It looks like the Porsche 904ís have California license plates.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane930 View Post
Thanks Frank. It's nice to have the background on these slides.

Fred Veitch also had a Eagle County Sheriff's Posse license plate frame on his '75 930 that I now own. I'm still hoping that someday you can locate that cover photo for RMR's newsletter of Fred with the car parked in front of a Household Finance office on Broadway in Denver, next door to Grady Clay's shop. I'm trying to figure out when the shark fins were added to my '75 930 as they were not on the car when it was delivered from the factory.

Rich
Rich
Is that the 930 with "Heidi" plates? I have some photos of it.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by group911@aol.co View Post
Rich
Is that the 930 with "Heidi" plates? I have some photos of it.
Very cool photos, thanks for posting. Looks like a í76 Turbo Carrera so itís not my í75 that just has a Turbo badge (vs. Turbo Carrera) on the rear deck. Hereís a few vintage photos when Fred still had the car with RSR wheels (1975 Porsche Parade, Riverside, Pueblo and two from 1976 Panos) and a few photos of the car now.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

That Elva - a four cam with a flat fan???

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daepp View Post
That Elva - a four cam with a flat fan???
Yesssir, and if memory serves me right (yeah sure) a 1,8L.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Love this thread!

Hi Pat! Hope all is well

Ferg aka: Mike Ferguson
1975 Carrera Coupe #391
1980 924 11k orig miles
1974 914 2.0 LE Creamsicle
1979 Dodge Lil Red Express
2015 Wrangler Unlimited, and a bunch of bicycles.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Porsche #223 was Grady Clay’s 911 2.0 at the 1975 Seattle Porsche Parade. He finished 4th at the Autocross at the Seattle International Raceway behind an 3.0 RSR and two 911S’s. The 20th Porsche Parade program has a close-up photo of the Eagle County Sheriff’s Posse license plate topper on my ’75 Turbo.

Last edited by rlane930; 04-01-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
912 Geek

Garage
Wow. The blue RSR with the "Aspen '78" sticker on the bumper was then Bob Ibbotson's, bought for (I recall) $7,500 from its original owner Richard Reventlow (Lance's brother), who lived in Aspen and drove it on the street with the Nevada tag "RSR" (which I later found and bought at a swap meet). That's me in the curly hair and red shirt cleaning the engine of Fred's Turbo, probably at the Seattle Parade; looks like I'm pulling a dead fish out of the fan shroud. The red 906 was Fred & Sally Veitch's, now in the collection of David Jenkins in Colorado; it was often driven by Sally's brother, Hal Shaw, who went from a local autocrosser to become a 1976 Trans-Am competitor in his 934. Thems was the Old Daze!

Last edited by fbarrett; 04-01-2014 at 08:26 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
gearhead

Nice bump. I love to see our local history pop up with new and interesting photos and commentary.

How is Grady? Haven't seen him post in a while.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Hi Frank !

Thanks for posting the info !!! I swear, I wish Dad would have followed his sister to CO !!! I can only imagine the trouble I could have gotten myself into growing up playing around in your garage, w/ your gang !!!

I had the E out day before yesterday... The tach's still taking a nap but she's running like a demon possessed !

Leaving tomorrow to take the track car up to Mid-Ohio for the weekend. Supposed to be a bit rainy Fri (Instructors & advanced students) and pretty nice on Sat & Sun !!

You should surprise me and show up !! I'll let you take the car out !!!

(This photo was taken a few weeks ago at Roebling Road. AWOLPHOTO was a good outfit that had some neat options they could w/ photos of your car... Banners, 3-D foam board cut-outs, posters...)

Last edited by rexav8r; 04-02-2014 at 03:26 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Yes - I have also been trying to find out how Grady is?

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

A few additional Kodachrome 35mm slide scans taken in Colorado in 1975.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

After a long search, I finally found an Alpine Porsche Audi license plate frame. I found it at an antique store for $1.00. An Alpine Porsche Audi plate frame was on my ’75 930 Turbo when it was first licensed in Colorado in June 1975 and was also on the car at the 1975 Porsche Parade in Seattle.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

The 1966 11th Porsche Parade was sponsored by the Rocky Mountain Region and was held at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, Colorado. At that time in Colorado, you could buy your new Porsche at Vern Hagestad Volkswagen Porsche on West Colfax in Denver, Phil Winslow Volkswagen on Circle Drive in Colorado Springs, or Jesse Boyce Motors in Grand Junction, Colorado.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
912 Geek

Garage
The Turbo with license plate "HEIDI" belonged to Dr. Ebe Liddle from Colorado Springs; today his son Dave is a Porsche mechanic.

Frank
Old 08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: