Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
Quote:
Originally posted by TRE Cup
check out www.rmpracing.com some old riverside entrants could not bear to see it disappear.
if you are serious about helping build a new track- this is it!
I didn't realize this was still going on..Ron Cortez talked to me about getting involved in this somewhere between 1999 and 2001...they had a copy of the plans for Riverside and a site in Manteca..I guess they are really trying to make it happen..good for them. I hope it works.
There was also a plan for a course on Indian land in Palm Springs..I actually ahve all the paperwork on that deal and copies of the plans..it would have been awesome , though I do think that project has been abandoned.
Another track was VacaValley.. alot of people do not realize there was a 1 1/4 mile banked oval in Vacaville...the track is still there though it is deteriorated...the team was trying to buy it and then restore the track and put in an infield section. UnfortunatelyI think the 12 million dollars the old man who owned it wanted for the land combined with oposition from local government squashed this deal .
Old 10-24-2005, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

The EIR report has been filed and approved. There are some more hurdles with local groups, then on to the next step. I heard this weekend that there is a new track in Temecula coming too- anyone know about this?
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 10-25-2005, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got till it's gone..."

Those were the good ol' days for sure. RIR was great for us "outsiders" because we could always saunter right into the hot pits during races there. One year, my friend saved Paolo Barilla from getting a pit infraction by pulling a hose out of the way before Paolo ran over it. Minutes later, we saw the body work of the Group 44 Jaguar flying through the air. Doc Bundy in the Vette, Lynn St. James in the Ford, and the Jag all got together big at the beginning of the esses. I think the Ford burnt to the ground. I swear the flames were about 3 stories high!

Dang I miss RIR!

Mike
Old 10-25-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Michael Delaney wanna-be

All this talk of Riverside brings tears to my eyes
I went to many of the Time 6 hour enduros. What a sight to see all those 935s screaming down that 1.1 mile straight!! My friends and I would wander over to the braking point going into Turn 6 just to watch all the flames coming out of the 935s. The M6s and RX7s were a treat too.

I'm really hoping that the new Riverside Motorsports Park can really build itself into a world-class race venue. We need to get the word out to the masses that there are a few racing series where the drivers know how to turn to the right!!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Info on the Lake Elsinore/Temecula track that Dave mentioned:

http://www.alberhill.com/

Just a dream right now though...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Michael Delaney wanna-be

I just tried emailing the Riverside Motorsports people and the email bounced back. I hope they're still on track (pun intended).
C.R.A.P. Gruppe Member #7
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
Michael Delaney wanna-be

Ok....I just got off the phone with them. Their server is in Florida which is probably under 3 feet of water. I also suggested that they put up some webcams around the facility so people can monitor the construction of the track.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

ok- yeah i saw that same temecula idea many years ago. Formula one race track etc etc- i spoke with the principal guy at the time and he had little knowledge on racing
1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by VZ935
That actually looks like Fitzpatrick and Hobbs at the 4/25/82 Riverside race.34th overall...That car in the picture is the Lowenbrau sponsored Kremmer K4 chassis # K4/01
Very Sharp Eye VZ. That is a K4 as opposed to a "Moby Dick". I am not sure if that is the same car as the one I saw Fitzpatrick in at Mid-Ohio in 1982 but if it is not, it is one of very few K4s that were ever seen in this country.

Don
Old 10-25-2005, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Great thread ... thanks for the pictures and information on a piece of automotive racing history.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

I found an old gear chart with Riverside layout and gear changes
on the reverse. The gears are AINSW and indicates 8200 RPM in
5th at the kink going into the Carousel.
IMAGE: RiversideGears01.jpg

IMAGE: RiversideGears02.jpg

Just fun trivia.

Best,
Grady
Old 10-27-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Grady , very cool..here is my car at Riverside in 1981..car is just finishing restoration...Dick Elverude is currently rebuilding the motor

Old 10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Here's another of the Cooke Woods car

Old 10-27-2005, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Just received this info this morning...Pls read as this is a request for help that we can all participate in.

An Open Letter To The Friends of Riverside Motorsports Park
$180 Million in Business Revenue to Merced County
1,200 Jobs and 75-100 New Business Openings
Increased Tourism / International Media Coverage
Structured Recreation Programs for Young Adults
Year-round Recreation & Wholesome Family Entertainment
Support for Castle Airport’s Redevelopment & UC Merced
This list of benefits is what Riverside Motorsports Park wants to bring to Merced County and the Central Valley. All of that… plus, and lots of world-class motorsports competition, including NASCAR, Champ Car, NHRA, World of Outlaws, MotoGP, Indy Racing League, AMA Superbike, American LeMans Series, International Karting, USAC Silver Crown Series, Grand-Am, CORR off-road racing and more.

For more than 5 years, Riverside Motorsports Park’s management team has been completing the design, engineering and the required Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to bring a world-class, multi-use motorsports facility toin the center of California. As we have progressed, we have received the support of over 50 sanctioning bodiesworld-class organizations that have committed to hold events at Riverside Motorsports Park.

You’re receiving this letter because, at some time, you added your name to our mailing list to stay up-to-date on the project’s progress.. However, if the Riverside Motorsports Park project is new to you, I’d invite you to visit our Web site (www.RMPracing.com). The website Web site outlines most of the project’s developments and progress, and also gives an overview of the eight (8) race tracks that will be included in one centrally located facility.

So where is the project now, what is the current status of the project?
The engineering and architectural designs for the facility are complete, and the leading contractors of the construction team have been secured. The most recent news is that on 7 July, 2005, after 2-1/2 years and over $1.5 million invested, the 3,200 page administrative draft of the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) was delivered to the Merced County Planning Department. Just last week, the County released the document for the required 45-day Public Review period.

The EIR is available to anyone wishing a copy from the Merced County Planning Department.

What this means and why we need your help…
California law requires that the public be informed about and allowed to comment on any EIR prior to hearings leading to project approval. In our case, there are two voting bodies that will approve the project: (1) The Merced County Planning Commission and (2) the Merced County Board of Supervisors.

In addition to comments generated from State and local agencies, the 45-day review period is used by the Merced County Planning Commission and Merced County Board of Supervisors as a key indicator of public opinion. Typically, the side that receives the larger number of letters and e-mails – in opposition to or in support of the project – also receives significant political weight in the approval process. Public opinion counts!

It’s not difficult to understand that Riverside Motorsports Park has encountered some opposition to its project. There are those who are against motorsports, motorcycles and car clubs, in general. There are those who oppose any kind of change, growth or development. And, there are those who prefer that the low-grade ag-land we have purchased adjacent to Castle Airport and the Atwater Federal Penitentiary remain as ag-land. (NOTE - There is no Prime Farmland on the Riverside Motorsports Park site. 84% of the land maintains a grade-3, “Unique” farmland classification with a Storie Index of 25 points out of a possible 100, one class higher than grazing land.)

It also is clear that the opposition will call-to-bear every sympathetic organization it can enlist to write letters opposing Riverside Motorsports Park.

What we need…
Well, quite simply… we need to have more letters in favor of the project sent to the Merced County Planning Commission and the Merced County Board of Supervisors than those in opposition.

We’re hoping that we can count on you to send in a supportive letter or e-mail to the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, and also ask your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors to do the same.

How to help… it’s a 2-step process:
1) Write a letter to each of the 2 Merced County officials, clearly stating your support for Riverside Motorsports Park:

Merced County Board of Supervisors

Mr. Jerry O’Banion, Chairman
Merced County Board of Supervisors
2222 M Street – Third Floor
Merced, CA 95340

email: dist5@co. merced.ca.us

Fax: (209) 726-7977

And…

Merced County Planning Commission

Mr. Steve Sloan, Chairman
Merced County Planning Commission
2222 M Street – Second Floor
Merced, CA 95340

email: klewallen@co. merced.ca.us

Fax: (209) 726-1710

2) Pass the word along… tell your friends and those you know who would support Riverside Motorsports Park.

If you have any questions, or if our staff can be of any assistance, please contact our offices at 209.383.7671, or e-mail us at info@RMPracing.com. Thanks for your help and assistance in making Riverside Motorsports Park a reality!

Meanwhile, I’ll see you at the races…
-----------------------------------------------

Last edited by VZ935; 11-09-2005 at 09:29 AM..
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Michael Delaney wanna-be

Hopefully the new track is going to amazing. Everyone....spread the word! Email the Merced County Board of Supervisors so we can make this track a reality.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Just came across this thread and thought a revival might be nice. Here's a few RIR pics from my collection:

GTO winning 934 entering turn 8, 1983 Times GP (Baker/Mullen/Nierop)

Same car in 1984, rebuilt to 935 specs (Baker/Newsum), heading for turn 6 :

Cooke/Grohs Lola T600 Chevy referenced earlier as "result of too much boost". Finished P4, '83 Times GP. Shot is on back straight, North of bridge:

Turn 7 action, '83 Times GP. Busby/Grable 924 Carrera, Andretti/Foyt/Andretti/Henn GTP Turbo, Baker/Mullen/Nierop 934 GTO:

-Ted
Old 05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

More from Times GP of Endurance at RIR:

Turn 8, Boy Hayje/Roberto Moreno BMW 320i Turbo, 3rd place GTU '83 Times GP:

Turn 5, Zakspeed Mustang GTP Turbo (Ludwig/Rahal) followed by race winning Holbert/Bell 962, '84 Times GP:

Turn 8, March 85G Buick GTP (John Paul Jr./Bill Adam), DNF '85 Times GP:

Entering turn 8, March 83G Porsche GTP (Ven der Merwe/Martin), P6 overall, '84 Times GP:

-Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Fitzpatrick Moby Dick 935 (Bell/Stommelen), '83 Times GP. RIP Rolf.

Nardi/Nardi P6 GTU '84 Times GP.

Back straight on pace lap, '83 Times GP.

A fine day at RIR. Times GP '85.

Exiting 7B, PLN, Trans Am Race.

-Ted
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Tedman

Great photo's... come post some of your 935 stuff in the " ultimate 935 thread "

More 935 favorite photos
Old 05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedman View Post
GTO winning 934 entering turn 8, 1983 Times GP (Baker/Mullen/Nierop)

Same car in 1984, rebuilt to 935 specs (Baker/Newsum), heading for turn 6 :

-Ted
Last year Jerry Woods was doing some work on one of my 935's and 962's and we discussed this car . Jerry keeps very good records of all the races he crewed on and he has estimated this car has roughly 80,000 race miles on it
Old 05-30-2008, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: