Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to prototypical75
Changed gear oil today

Hi everyone,
I changed my gear oil for the first time today and I want to make sure the amount of metal shavings on the drain plug is normal. No larger pieces of metal in the drain pan at all. I've had the car(86 Carrera w/915) for about 2.5 years and I'm not sure when it was changed last. Replaced with Swepco and it sure feels smooth; a noticable improvement. Look normal?

Also, while I was down there I noticed both my left CV boots are torn. Should I repack and replace the boots asap or start looking for new joints or axles? How easily are the joints damaged? Not sure how long they've been torn, maybe 10-15k miles. Are remanufactured axles available? I see our host has new ones.

Edit: Ok, I found some great info on CV joints and boots after searching, now my new question is how do I tell if the joint is too worn and in need of replacement? Any pics of worn examples?

Thanks guys,
Zach

Last edited by prototypical75; 08-19-2005 at 07:36 PM..
Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi Zach,

Yes, the "fuzz" you have on the mag drain plug is completely normal. There are boot kits if your CVs aren't making any noises. No noise is a happy CV. I've never done one, but am sure someone here'll chime in.

Edward
Old 08-19-2005, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Edward - what "noise" would that be? What's it sound like?
Old 08-19-2005, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would suggest you get new boot kits for both sides, driver and passenger. Total four boots. After cleaning, a good inspection will tell you if replacement is in order. Typical wear is one side of the bearing ball track. If you see wear ONLY on the pressure side, I would reinstall the right axle onto the left side and vice-versa. This places the driven load onto the opposite side of the bearing track.
I would further advise you to get new socket head bolts for the CV's. Need six times four=twenty four bolts. Torque to spec and recheck after 50-100 miles.
This isn't a bad project, Waynes book covers this. I recommend it.
Once you've done it relax and go on to other things.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Another one in the Swepco camp. I really need to get hold of that stuff but canīt seem to find it here.

In what way did YOU find it improving the gear change feeling ?

Cheers,

Carrera '85
Old 08-20-2005, 02:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to prototypical75
Ed and Doug- Thanks for the advice. Looks like I've got another fun project. Hopefully my wrench will let me use his impact gun to get that big nut off.

Markus- I guess the best way I can describe it is that the resistance is lessened during gear changes. Not as much notchiness.

Thanks again everyone,
Zach
Old 08-20-2005, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: