Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Elu
It is using 40 hz as a break point now. I also have the stereo sending only 40 to 64 hz signals to the low end. So this sub is working at that level. Not bad for what it is. No it won't go lower, but in a car you don't need it.

www.myspace.com/elu

Elu - the sensual nature of humanity
Available on Eroica Records

The new album is now available.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Well I'm sold. Looks like a perfect NEAT solution
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 09-01-2005, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I put a 10" enclosed Kenwood bandpass woofer in the luggage boot up against the firewall. No mods to anything at all, fit perfectly with just velcro to keep it put and my amp is there as well. It sounds awesome and has great kick. It doesn't matter where the woofer is in your car, the bass will transmit everywhere so why not put it in the least disruptive location possible....the front boot.

'85 Carrera Cab
'01 Durango 5.9 R/T
'00 Taurus SE- SO's canoe
'97 KTM 250EXC
FOND MEMORIES:
'68 Pont Ventura Conv 389w/trips
'99 BMW 323is
'71 TR-6 very first car
'73 TR-6 restored it-Concours winner
'67 Lincoln Conti-suicide doors
'70 Challenger-340-6pack slap stk
'69 Dart GTS 440-4bl-4spd
'73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I shoehorned the Kenwood self powered Sub (or non-sub, depending on your camp) in my smugglers box with no physical alterations to either. It was an incredibly snug fit (had to go in upside down) sounds great, totally stealthy, and no extra amp required.

Hey Randy, how does Bose accomplish their bass sound since there are no large boxes for the wavelengths?
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Pics guys! I want pics
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

no large boxes

there is a hidden, folded "large" box -- also some pyscho-acousitc tricks from Dr. Amar.

compare it with the folded Klipsch horns...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

one more tidbit -- you _could_ go w/no box at all & just use gigantic panels to get low base. I shoulda thought of that before since I am a Magneplanar owner. They would fit in a van, not a car.

Well I think I will go watch my birthplace being destroyed on the TV now...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 09-01-2005, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
This is what I did and it kicks like a MoFo!

'85 Carrera Cab
'01 Durango 5.9 R/T
'00 Taurus SE- SO's canoe
'97 KTM 250EXC
FOND MEMORIES:
'68 Pont Ventura Conv 389w/trips
'99 BMW 323is
'71 TR-6 very first car
'73 TR-6 restored it-Concours winner
'67 Lincoln Conti-suicide doors
'70 Challenger-340-6pack slap stk
'69 Dart GTS 440-4bl-4spd
'73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Gordon

Do you have the Kenwood model number for that subwoofer? Looks like a pretty good solution.

Cheers

Anil
Old 09-02-2005, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Gordon, what type of mid range & tweeter speakers do you have and how does it sound with the top down?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Heres the under seat picks as well as a couple of interiors.

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-02-2005, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

This is the unit under the seat with the controller.

Speakers in the doors

Speakers in the rear quarters

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-02-2005, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elu
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by WydRyd

i put 2 of these in a bmw Z3 a few weeks ago, although they lacked the low end they were pretty punchy if not pushed too hard
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I don't see how they lack any low end....not to be offensive as my unit picks up all the low end. Check you stereo settings and make sure the cross over points on you stereo are programmed correctly. It also makes a difference on how you've hooked the unit up.

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

just an fyi I believe that the factory moved the seat rails up and then back down again during the early carrera 3.2 years. I could be wrong but if it is a tight fit be sure to measure carefully.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Elu
I don't see how they lack any low end....not to be offensive as my unit picks up all the low end. Check you stereo settings and make sure the cross over points on you stereo are programmed correctly. It also makes a difference on how you've hooked the unit up.
let me re-phrase, they lack any worthwhile low end (sub 50hz) while the car was moving (road noise).
but realize i'm used to much bigger stuff, so i'm a little biased
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bell
let me re-phrase, they lack any worthwhile low end (sub 50hz) while the car was moving (road noise).
but realize i'm used to much bigger stuff, so i'm a little biased
I only wish there were an audio option for this sort of stuff...Dogh! My feeling on this is that the low end is perfectly substantial. Again, I have to fall back on the fact that I am a Sound Engineer and Producer and know what it's supposed to sound like.

I'm not saying that you don't know sound, I'm just saying that you may not have unlocked the potential in the unit. It operates at 50 Hz easy...In fact it operates between 35hz and 150 hz. And I am positive that my car has more interior road than yours. No offence meant. Again, you should go back to your car stereo settings and adjust the cross over point.

I can't make everyone see it because so many people are bias about sound. Most people do not understand sound and insist that huge subwoofers deliver. They don't. The sound that you get from them is false, augmented by the crossover and their large size and power. Low end is meant to be fealt rather than heard therefore, Again, This Kenwood unit delivers.

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-04-2005, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to axvel
Elu, where did you get that center console? can you post some more pics of it? Also how do you use your handbrake? Maybe you can point into direction on where to find one? Thanks...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by axvel
Elu, where did you get that center console? can you post some more pics of it? Also how do you use your handbrake? Maybe you can point into direction on where to find one? Thanks...
I second that question!
SCWDP member #0034
'67 912 Restoration/Mod - SOLD
'80 911SC Targa -
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
elu......no offense taken, but i have been installing audio for 12+ years, built lots of competition stuff etc.....
also the Z3 wasn't mine it belonged to a customer.

when it comes to low frequencies in a vehicle the interior space of the car (passenger cabin) has as much to do with bass as the box/sub itself.......but you know that
obviosly a soft top car will not be as "dramatic" as a coupe/sedan where you can somewhat control the reproduced sound. more or less the car acts like a big bandpass box that you sit inside.
any subwoofer system can only produce music accuratly so loud before it clips, not matter where you set the crossover......it boils down to how efficiant the enclosure is with the power that is feeding it.
bigger isn't always better.....but just like muscle cars there isn't a substitute for cubic inches when it comes to actual volume
Old 09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: