Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Elu
Thumbs up Installed a Subwoofer under the seat!

So in ongoing postings that I have made regarding some of the upgrades to my car here is my latest venture. Where to install that subwoofer? I read all of the postings here and did a bunch or research online and many people suggested putting a 10" sub in the smugglers box, in the back seat area, a bazooka tube in the front and the list goes on and on....

I don't know how many of you think like I do, but I don't want to mess with modifications to my car just to accommodate some bottom end....so I purchased a Kenwood KSC-SW1 KSCSW1 Powered Enclosed Subwoofer and installed it under the driver's seat! and BAM! excellent sound. I already had a 150 Watt amp under the passenger seat with (4) 150 Watt speakers in the doors and back interior quarter panels but really had no bottom end. So when I purchased the Kenwood, it came with all the cables in an easy to do kit which required no modifications to my interior and or components.

For those of you who are thinking about the thump thump thump irritation driving down the street in the "Hondas" and such...it's not that way. It does give plenty of punch but it's not annoying to your fellow drivers. With a little tweaking of my EQ settings it gives just the right amount of punch to accentuate the low tones. You can definately feel it if you want to, or you can tone it down just a little. The wife may like it under her seat...who knows?

As far as the modifications I had to make....None really. I had to pull out the seats, run some wiring under the carpet over the hump and screw the unit to the undercarriage. I cut the rear carpet just a little to allow for the installation. I wouldn't suggest just sitting the unit under the seat because it will migrate and with the carpet underneath the unit...it didn't quite clear the seat when I was seated in the car...and no I don't have a big ars...

www.myspace.com/elu

Elu - the sensual nature of humanity
Available on Eroica Records

The new album is now available.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Wow, didn't think there was room enough under the sear.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Post some pics.

I just had a custom box made that fit perfectly on the floor behind the driver's seat.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Elu, thanks for the post! Great recommendation there! I'll look into it myself.

I have little kids, so I can't put a bulging subby box behind my seats and steal their leg room

This Kenwood box looks like it'll do the trick nicely
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 08-31-2005, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Elu,
Like the others I would love to see the install pics and of the box...I will be doing 4 components ( front doors and quarter panels) but was wondering were I would put the bass in the car

Looking for a 996 Silver Cab 2002-2004
Old 08-31-2005, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Virginia Rocks!

Please post some photo. I just dropped in an amp and some over active tweeters - now my 6" door speakrs can't keep up.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Everyone chant:
"this post is worthless without some pictures"
Old 08-31-2005, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes please, post some pics of the install if you have 'em.

When my budget permits, I want to get a set of Focal 165K2 separates, Audison SRX4 AMP and some sort of subby. The Kenwood looks damn good!

Description: Kenwood's KSC-SW1 subwoofer may be just what you need if you're looking for more bass, but don't have space for a conventional sub box or powered sub. This compact sub features an amplifier that pushes 75 watts RMS to a 6-1/2" woofer, with a 6-1/2" passive radiator built in for good measure. It's all housed in a rugged, low-profile enclosure that will fit just about anywhere. The passive radiator technology is one of the keys to the surprisingly big sound of the KSC-SW1. Air pressure from the powered woofer moves the unpowered 6-1/2" radiator, augmenting the bass response.
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You can achieve the same, if not better bass results from 6.5's in the doors if you enclose them. And you wont have two 6.5's vibrating the crap out of your DME.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Is that what you've done Brandon?

Pics?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I've done door enclosures in other cars, not in my p-car though. I'm not really concerned with the radio in the porsche, the car makes it's own music

If one were so inclined the passenger side kick panel make a good spot for a custom 6.5" or 8" enclosure. I've also seen custom center consoles that utilize the forward compartment space to mount up to a 10" sub that fires sideways.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Remember, these things do not alter physical laws -- you still need a big box to get long wavelengths, aka low frequencies, aka a real sub-woofer (& that's true whether it is an acoustic suspension design or a Thiel-Small alignemnt {has a big hole in it, called a port}). These will help with the "upper" lows but won't provide what a real sub-woofer will.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 08-31-2005, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I tried a sub under the passenger seat once. Two problems; the person sitting in the seat found it annoying, the enclosure was small as Randy points out.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WydRyd
[B]Yes please, post some pics of the install if you have 'em.

When my budget permits, I want to get a set of Focal 165K2 separates, Audison SRX4 AMP and some sort of subby. The Kenwood looks damn good!

OK...Pictures. I will get some tonight and post them. They are really uneventful because it just sits under there...bolted to the floor. However, I can take a shot showing how it sits in proximity to the seat and such for you hard liners.

"Chuck" The vibration under the seat is not noticeable to the person in the seat unless you really push up the bass...and then it messes with the overall sound quality. Everything in moderation is the key. You get the thump and drone of the low tones but it is not annoying.

"Randy" I can't explain it...but it really works. It is similar to an upper end computer sound speaker set. I use one on my TV as and it shakes the room. This sub system is not cheesy or small in sound, it's HUGE! I kid you not! I think that I have a little clout on the issue as I am a recording artist and producer and know alot about sound, maybe not the mechanics of the systems as they are put together but I do know what sounds good. I listen to alot of Dance oriented music with club beats and sub-tones and it doesn't distort. I also listen to alot of low end chill out music and stuff like Enigma, Delerium, B-Tribe, Conjure One, Sting...and it all sounds big and boomy. If I turn it up too loud it's unbearable cuz it's so loud.

So seriously if you guys are thinking about this seriously...just do it, it works. And again, it will not be as loud as a bazooka tube or (2) 10" subs at 250 watts each...but in a small P-car...who needs that? The Kenwood is plenty of big bass sound for the small space.

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I understand what you are saying...

But that isn't really "sub" - the best description I can give is to listen to orchestral music with true, low frequencies -- around 20- 30 Hz.

Not to say that the item above and other similar things will not make your listening more enjoyable and/or make the sound more accurate.

FWIW, folks who want lower frequencies can search up posts by bell on using the smuggler's box for a sub - that would be my next choice after this -- more trouble to do tho.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
There is also a Clarion product that also fits under the seat. It is almost the same size as this kenwood. Asfar as sound quality I have no clue witch is better.

http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/speakers/SRV303_.html
02 TT 225QT coupe (sold), 03 Audi A4 Avant (wife)GONE...
Old 09-01-2005, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I must admit I'm surprised it doesn vibrate anyone sitting above it, or rattle against the metal floor. Otherwise I'd have tried this solution.

Then again under the seats is prime real estate and all ready occupied by XM radio box, DME and Andial Fuel Enrichment system.
Mods include: Kokeln IC, GHL Headers, Hooligan muffler, Modified K27 7200, BL WUR, LC-1 & XD-16, Bilstein Sports (4), TRG sway bars, Oversize torsion bars, Strut brace
Old 09-01-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

With all due respect to the comments I have heard many times about needing a big enclosure in order to make low bass frequencies, I know that to be bunk. Thirty years ago they were making home stereo speakers less than two inches thick. I used to play bass, and some of the Ampeg systems used 4" speakers. Lots of them, but only 4" in diameter. Yes, a bass speaker can be made that fits under our seats, and it's about time somebody did it. And finally, what about a system that bolts to the car. This way, the car becomes part of the speaker and now you have the very big box so many folks insist you need.

I mounted a 10" speaker in a home-made triangular enclosure barely large enough for the speaker, and it fits right behind my seat. But again, there is no reason a unit cannot be made that's the size of a 2" loose leaf binder that fits under a seat.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Ok..so it's not technically a sub. Air pressure from the powered woofer moves the unpowered 6-1/2" radiator, augmenting the bass response. In essense a sealed enclosure producing sub sonic vibration.

I've read about 100 reviews on the Clarion and the Kenwood and from what I hear, the Kenwood out performs the Clarion in frequency response. That was said by many who tried both. The important part is that it fits under the seat and it bolts to the floor!!!

Anyway...I will see about some pictures.

www.myspace.com/elu

Old 09-01-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

It's not bunk. Run the model equations and/or measure output vs. frequency. You are probably reacting to high amplitude "thump" in the higher bass registers -- I would bet around 100 Hz.

But most people think a high amplitude "semi-low" freq. is good bass response -- it isn't. Or at least it isn't accurate - what one thinks is good is subjective.

IF you like the higher amplitude in the mid to high bass registers, that is fine. If you need more lower down, then see my comment above. If you want a real high fidelity music system, down to 20 Hz, it costs a few ten thousand dollar bills and that's in your home. It's probably not possible in the car.

Old 09-01-2005, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: