Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine Dies

1974 911 ...as luck would have it, took the car to the local mechanic and the car performed flawlessly. They did not find any problems with the ignition or fuel system or Carbs. However, just tonight, drove the car 5 miles to a local car show. Turned the car off, 20 minutes later, decided to return home and the car wouldn't start...turned over but would not fire (called tow truck). The car sat for an additional 30 minutes and then started (canceled tow truck dispatch). Occasionally driving down the highway and the car dies...minutes later it fires back up. Don't think it is fuel related, but could it be the Permatune EI? Needs some help/advice folks.

Old 09-16-2005, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check you fuel pump relay, also check the red wire that runs to the fuel pump fuse. mine came loose yesterday at an intersection. once the wire was reattached... off we went no problems.today a dead battery from cranking and cranking to get it started.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
17 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Beautiful car! Get rid of the PermaDoom and get a Bosch CDI to replace it. 2 PermaTunes died on me and now I have a Bosch unit and a spare. I bet your PermaTune CDI is bad., test it and see, there are bench testing instructions on the permatune website.
www.ford.com
Old 09-17-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 86 911
Azasadny is right about the Permatune. Here is the link to the bench-testing instructions: http://www.permatune.com/T-ignition-Porsche-911SC.html
I have 3 Permatune units; 1 in my car now which I just bought from PartsHeaven, one back-up and one faulty box which I will take apart one day. Bench tested the new (well, somewhat used) unit, and it is pefect, so I just installed it today. I had the EXACT same problem you had, and when I switched out Permatunes, problem solved. I guess some of the units are heat sensitive. Good luck!
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe (wife's)
Old 09-17-2005, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all who replied, my local Porsche mechanic made a similar recommendation about getting a Bosch CD unit...any recommendations on a vendor?
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Engine Dies

Quote:
Originally posted by marvmattporsche
Don't think it is fuel related,
Something similar happened to me yesterday. I at first thought it was because the plastic bag came off the distributor when washing the engine, but it had started right up at the car wash.

Stalled out twice, third time it would not restart for long. Engine would turn over and start but then would cut out after a second.

I took the fuse panel cover off the fueses in the front trunk - and the red plastic cap on the fuel pump relay came off as I open it. I looked at the contacts and there was a burr on it. I took a tool off on my key chain and scraped it off as best I could. realigned the contacts, put back in, and it started right up.

No problems what so ever today.

I think it's a $35 part, many people travel with a spare.
George, Architect
Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not normally a big fan of black cars but yours looks fantastic. Can you share a bit of the story as to the updates. Looks like a lot of tasteful work has been done. Especially interested in the front rubber chin spoiled that seems to share some genes with it's turbo counterpart.
'73 911T Coupe (current)
'88 930S M505 (current)
Old 09-26-2005, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I bought the car as is 2 years ago from a guy in San Diego...(Uncle Sam activated me and sent me to Camp Pendleton for the Iraqi War and I decided to buy my dream car during my tenure in sunny California) the picture was taken the day before I had the car shipped back to the east coast. I was interested in a late 80s model, but when I saw this one...I just had to have it.

I believe I am the 4th owner and the 2nd owner had all the work done...the paint job is actually about 16 years old. The motor is a 2.7 with weber carbs and has about 30k on the rebuild. I have done nothing to car except have a local reputable Porsche Mechanic go through the car, and just recently, a leak down test. Have spent about 5k or so in things like tires, brakes, generator/alternator, turbo tie rods, tune-up, cv joints, and the list goes on. Tried to replace the oil sending unit myself and ran into about a thousand dollar repair bill. I truly love the car (I always loved the early 911s since I was a boy)which is a hangar queen, but I am thinking very seriously about selling it and buying something a little newer (1997 or 1998 993).

If I can get this ignition situation take care of and have the front windshield resealed (getting water around the front door jams when I wash the car) I just may lean towards keeping it.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I had the same problem and my fix was to replace the ignition wire on the cd box. It used to cut in and out for some reason when the car got really hot it used to cut out. I just ran a new wire from the ignition.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

carbs should have MSD imo.

above is a prejudicial rant.

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: