Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
drag racing the short bus

Thanks for setting up a great Mulholland run, Jack. That offshoot to Decker was new, right? At least I don't remember it. Talk about a tire smoker...

Old 09-18-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Yep, I could smell Todds' tires in front of me a couple times. Decker was great.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 09-18-2005, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobboloo
Yep, I could smell Todds' tires in front of me a couple times. Decker was great.
Probably from when we hit that bridge at speed. The Hoosiers up front stick out a bit and rub when I hit the big dips (even with the fenders rolled). Decker was when I was finally able to open up a gap on you...your car is too quick with all the recent work . But I ended up making my navigator hurl as we got close to PCH, so I guess I was working it a bit hard. Good thing we had a bag in the car from the breakfast cookie

And yes, he was fine and ate a ton of pancakes at breakfast. Kids...
Old 09-18-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My car has injuries, though:

1) No brake lights.

2) The hood won't close.

Don't blame Bush. Blame Decker Canyon.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Oh, I also have to revalve my Bilstein Sport Shocks. Need more rebound...
Old 09-18-2005, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Thumbs up

What a great run.

I've got to thank everyone who came out, including a lot of familiar faces from previous Mulholland runs, plus the early-rising SOCG guys (and Lili), and also all the new guys I met today who came out for their first drive with us.

And of course Wayne, who made it all possible with this BBS, and also came out for the drive.

Long distance award must go to Tristan (das908kind), who was in for the weekend from Vancouver.

But there were a lot of cars there -- 30? 40? -- from all over Southern California. Lots of great machines and no ego-related mishaps. In fact, I'm pretty sure there were no bad incidents (tickets, bent metal, off-road excursions or flattened bicyclists) at all, which is awesome.

David, if your trunk won't close now, my theory is this: the unibody was slightly twisted before, and driving the second-gear spaghetti twists of Decker has straightened everything out.

I didn't take any pictures, so I hope to see a few hundred posted here.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to slodave
Thanks for the fun. Not used to driving like that in those tight turns. Made for some nice adrenaline rushes or heart skipping a beat.

Dave
One of the new guys.

'84 Targa - Arena Red - AX #104
'07 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Yes, I'm that guy...
'01 Toyota Corolla - Urban Camouflage - SOLD
Old 09-18-2005, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Quote:
Decker was when I was finally able to open up a gap on you...your car is too quick with all the recent work
Yep, I doubt if you noticed but you put a gap on me every time we took a sharp left. I had real bad fender rubbing on sharp lefts. I gotta pull that fender out or get smaller tires. The suspension is awesome though and can do way more than I am capable of.

Your car corners amazingly flat considering that you've got stock T-bars. Are your sway bars stock?

P.S. I gotta get a new gas cap. I discovered that mine's not very good at keeping the gas in the tank on the tight twisties.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____

Last edited by Bobboloo; 09-18-2005 at 01:56 PM..
Old 09-18-2005, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

That was my first run with all of you LA county guys and I must say, well worth getting up early for. It was nice to finally meet Wayne (our host), Jack, Tyson and the rest of you. There were some really nice cars out there.

The roads were simply amazing, especially the last 10 miles or so. Wow! Those turns were tight! I spent most of my time in second gear chasing the rabbit in front of me through tight turn after tight turn. He was maintaining quite a pace, which was good, so I was working hard trying to stay with him. We had a guy in a Boxster leading us, I think he was probably 5th in the line, that was making it all look so easy. No drama at all. Well balanced car, the Boxster.

Here are a few pics I took:

Wayne's car in the foreground. Jack's next to his.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by 450knotOffice
We had a guy in a Boxster leading us, I think he was probably 5th in the line, that was making it all look so easy. No drama at all. Well balanced car, the Boxster.
A Boxster? Those are chick cars!

(I was the one driving the Boxster.)

Fun run. Nice folks...
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 09-18-2005, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
In the shop at Pelican

the one time they run Decker and I get a flat tire 2 miles from my house..
Old 09-18-2005, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by techweenie
A Boxster? Those are chick cars!

(I was the one driving the Boxster.)

You forgot to add you were driving the panties off that chick car. Good to see those Boxsters are up to the abuse.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

breathe, pause, think.

Thanks Jack, for organizing the cool way to spend a Sunday morning...Great bunch of folks out here in Southern California!

My wife took these pics...I was too busy flappin' my gums and heating up the tires!

Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

more pics....

Old 09-18-2005, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
breathe, pause, think.

and a few more...

Old 09-18-2005, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Porsches??? There were Porsches there?
99 996 Tip Cpe 'Dietrich'
www.thehowardagency.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOY2x-Uh6cU
Old 09-18-2005, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Spirited Touring

99 996 Tip Cpe 'Dietrich'
www.thehowardagency.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOY2x-Uh6cU
Old 09-18-2005, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

If anyone wants a video reminder of Decker (and have a fast internet connection), this clip was taken a while ago, but captures some of the fun.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage

Old 09-18-2005, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very cool video Jack. It's on my hard drive now.

Great route you picked today! That was the most fun I've ever had in the Porsche...and that say volumes.

BTW, did you guys see the skid marks that went straight off the road and into the canyon? Somebody had a REALLY bad day.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: