Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Hey Frank,

I have been over there quite a bit, also Monticello , I get over to Tal town several times a year as my HQ is located there , I end up going to training out at Pat Thomas quite a bit as well, it is in Havanna...

Not much going on over this way, I live just over the GA line off
I-95 North of Jacksonville.

There are some activities around the greater Atlanta area, there is a swap meet at Brumos Porsche in Jax in Oct.

Todd

Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Frank,
I've had most of my '76 2.7 apart over the last 7 or 8 years, but I haven't messed with my gas tank.
I've heard about this from other racers as well as on this BBS.
I'm not refering to the screen inside the tank although without looking at it you still need to keep it in mind.
The gas cap thing is simple enough to test.
Perhaps someone with experience with gas tank venting could chime in with some details. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

You are getting lots of good advice on here, I'd bet on the feul filter being clogged.or perhaps sludge at the pickup but one wierd one to keep in mind is a failing feul pump. Many have said they either work or fail but I have had one on my 78 simply get weak. Once the car was warm it would not keep presures up (remember in a CIS car these pressures are high!) and as we monitored the presures it fell to just below acceptable limits when it got warm. New feul pump and it has run great for 3 years!
Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

Old farmer tale I learned long ago...9 times out of 10, it is a fuel delivery problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I'm definitely getting great advice - thanks again eveyone.

Okay, here's the latest. Yesterday afternoon I left work, headed to my friend's house and replaced the fuel filter. Also played with the fuel pump relay again, this time it failed for good. It must have been working only intermittently to begin with. Luckily my friend had made a jumper for me and knew the correct pins to jump, so I was able to keep the fuel pump working as long as the key was turned on.

So, the car cranked, but sputtered and gave me some smoke, which is abnormal for my car. I took it down the road and back and realized that although it was still sputtering, now it started losing power at 3200 rpm instead of 2000 rpm. So somehow doing all this gained about 1000 rpm, but didn't solve the problem. Anyway, I was able to drive it the 40 miles or so to get it home. It is now in the garage, but still needs attention. I know I have to get a replacement relay, but the pump sounds like it's working. I guess it could just be weak....or maybe the problem lies somewhere else. For what it's worth, I have a new set of plugs, which I'll install this afternoon or tomorrow. I would really like to think that the problem is not my pump, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to shell out the $200 for a new one, like it or not.

I've heard that there's a way to blow air back through the fuel line to unclog the screen at the bottom of the tank. Has anyone done this and if so, what did it accomplish? As always, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Frank
Old 09-22-2005, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I woulsd still recommend you hook gauges up to check fuel pressure. I have never tried to clean the intake screen with air pressure but it is not too hard to pull the tank and check it. Try searching on fuel tank screen on the forum here. I know there have been some extensive threads.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Today or tomorrow my friend is bringing up the gauges to do the pressure test. However, something else has been brought to my attention: the warmup regulator. I hope that I'm not looking at having to replace this part, as it runs over $450. That makes the $200 pump seem like a deal.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I have fallen into this trap a few times on different(non-P)cars. Start swapping parts and never really figure out which one it really was, but it gets fixed at a higher cost due to my impatience.
Mine was giving me fits a month ago, but it had sat for 5 years with a blown up airbox from the PO. I tested the pump, and it was indeed weak, which I believe leaned out the mix and caused the airboxes deadly explosive backfire.(only a theory)
Since I was was replacing the pump, I did a fuel filter and accumulator, and cleaned the WUR. It runs fine now, but I could not tell you if the accumulator was bad since I didn't test pressures till I got everything changed. 5 years of old fuel sitting couldn't have done anything any good, so I felt safe swapping parts I didn't know the actual condition of.
I've now got the pressure guages and a CO meter in my arsenal of tools...hey, they may SAVE me money someday.

Keep us updated..please. Brian
Old 09-24-2005, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cool "Missing" SC....

Frank,

I live just up the road in Moultrie. I drive an '80SC that I have owned for about 5 years and do all my own work. Give me a buzz if you still need some help.

Fred Cook
Old 09-24-2005, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

Im not a wrench but checking on a problem earlier with a car that had tensioner failure, it had some of the same symptoms. Loss of power, backfired, seemed out of timing, ect. Again, Im not a mechanic but might want to check for tensioner failure, eh? Just a thought. . . Mark
Old 09-24-2005, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

I have a 79 which sometimes runs rough.
Problem: The injectors stick causing car to run rough.
Solution: Take a long rod or screw driver. Tap each one lightly.
Car runs fine.

Problem: Car runs like $hit.
Solution: take out air cleaner, turn ignition on, reach up into air box and feel a flapper like plate, hold it for 3 or 4 seconds.
Start car, expect a backfire.
Car runs fine.

These might not be solutions for this particular problem but may help someone else.
1970 911T Coupe, 1979 911SC Targa Euro, 1971 Honda CT70 HK Trail 70 (the ultimate in two wheeled transportation)
Old 09-25-2005, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Okay guys, here's what's happened. Yesterday, I replaced all of the plugs with new Bosch Platinums. And since then, problem solved! Yeah, I didn't beli eve it either. I've taken it out for a couple of 20 minute trips and so far, it sounds great, has no power loss up thru 5500 (that's as far as i took it) and is running like an absolute top! I took it out to the airport to meet up with my friend and he was surprised to hear that the plug replacement had made such a difference. For what its worth, 5 of the old plugs looked decent, with normal deposits, but one looked to have a small crack on the post.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that I'm out of the woods yet. It may start knocking next time I take it out, but for now, it seems like the problem is cured. Man I love driving this car!

Thanks again for the feedback folks! This is a great board!

Frank

PS - Fred, I'd like to meet you some time, so let me know if you get a free saturday and would like to grab lunch - I'd be happy to drive up to the BBQ Pit!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Know this from the last time we were in a "gas crunch". I would definitely change the fuel filter. When the stations run low on gas and don't change their filters we would sell tons of fuel filters. So just a suggestion, but the insufficient spark theory also sounds right.
“People who never make mistakes must get tired of doing nothing”
Bill : The origin of the orgy of Porsche
Old 09-25-2005, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Thanks Duke. I have now replaced the plugs and fuel filter, so if I have any more problems, I suspect (hope) it will be related to the pump.

By the way, I did notice something while replacing my plugs. The ignition wires look pretty bad. The boots that keep trash from getting down in the plug reservoir are completely shot. In fact, they are gone on two of the wires. So, I'm thinking I may go ahead and replace them as well. I'm wondering, are Magnecors the way to go? does anyone have any other suggestions? thanks again folks!

frank
Old 09-26-2005, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

magnecores are definitely the way to go
Old 09-26-2005, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I use Clewetts. No problems, and they are considerably less expensive.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cool 911 Plug wires.....

Frank,

I am using the Magnacor wires on my '80 SC. So far they have performed extremely well. They are not cheap, but I think this is a case of "you get what you pay for"! You can tell if the old wires are cross firing or arcing to ground by looking in the engine compartment at night, preferably in a dark area. Any arcing will show up as mini lightning bolts that are blue-white in color.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Below the Rim

Garage
If the wires themselves are OK (no arcing in the dark), our host sells the boots to seal the plugs at a very reasonable price. My boots were so bad I had to scrape off the old rubber. It's just a maintenance thing but fun to do.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Cool PM....

Frank,

You have a PM.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: