Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

are you sure you have enough space though?

taht looks great - what did you use on the floor?

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Designer King

Souk,
Just a suggestion: you may want to go wider than 7 and 8 ft for your garage doors. I am grateful every time I use it that mine is 9 ft., especially @ night or in snowy/icy conditions, or when driving a car other than the 911. (Maybe this is not a problem for your location.)
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone

Last edited by Paulporsche; 10-05-2005 at 03:59 PM..
Old 10-05-2005, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

No fair...you guy's are Pro's......
Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Recreational User

I'd love carpet and a bar but I seem to fill the space with more cars before I can add them!

Old 10-05-2005, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulporsche
Souk,
Just a suggestion: you may want to go wider than 7 and 8 ft for your garage doors. I am grateful every time I use it that mine is 9 ft., especially @ night or in snowy/icy conditions, or when driving a car other than the 911. (Maybe this is not a problem for your location.)
Paul,

Thanks for pointing that out. I mistakenly transposed the dimensions. The front overhead is 9'Wx8'H, and the rear OH door is 8'Wx7'H.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Registered

Reply to Jgordon (is this Jeff?)

It's actually our new shop in Mooresville NC, and we have more room than we know what to do with. Of course the floors are poly, and were done by some company, I'll try to get their name and post it. Had a buddy who did his garage and I believe it was only like $600.
“People who never make mistakes must get tired of doing nothing”
Bill : The origin of the orgy of Porsche
Old 10-05-2005, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Anyone know anything about installing industrial tracks in a residence for the garage doors? The kind that hug the ceiling? I'm about to start my garage project and absolutely cannot stand all the hardware all over the ceiling for the support for the tracks. There must be a cleaner solution out there.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
richard, maybe not what you are looking for, but WAYNE DALTON has a bada$$ garage door opener that doesnt hang up in the middle of the garage. the tiny motor stays above the door opening. door opens fast and QUIET. maybe too quiet, i like the reassuring rumble of the door opening. you would at least avoid the mechanics. cant help you with the door tracks.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
damn, just rolled back to read the other post. some nice garages, and HOMES here. DAMN. i have got to sell, and move somewhere cheaper.....!!!!!

SOUK, that is gonna be sweet. really sweet.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Dude...for 1/4 the cash of a Cali home, you can buy a 1/2 acre lot and a 2500 sf home. Move out there bro...but then you'd have to put up with folks telling you you live in IOWA! A little closer to downtown Chicago the price climbs exponentially.

I broke ground today on the garage! Had to spend a good part of the day and lots of calories chopping down a tree to get it out of the way (damn lumber jack work is for lumber jacks! Then dudes are not to be messed with I tell ya. After a 4" diamer trunk on a tree I have new respect for them dudes.) I hope to have it done in a month!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally posted by DarrylD
I'd love carpet and a bar but I seem to fill the space with more cars before I can add them!

That makes about 4 of us Pelicans that have a flattie in the garage along with some P-cars. I can't think of the other 2 right now.

Is that the trailer over there under the poster?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally posted by Souk
It's a concession to Villiage ordinance that limits garage space to 3 cars on subdivision lots. The 12" of concrete should prevent me or anyone else from chipping away the floor to park a car there. Lots of silliness to get to this point.
Lay the base slab, form the raised section, but put down a layer of that felt stuff first; then it's easy to pop out the raised section later!
Various VWs
Old 10-17-2005, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Too big to fail

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by motion
Anyone know anything about installing industrial tracks in a residence for the garage doors? The kind that hug the ceiling?
That's sorta what I did. I wanted another 6" of height, and I could have got it if I was willing to wait for then to d*ck around some more.

More pix @ http://www.rennlight.com/shop/

Various VWs
Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Recent improvements: This summer I put down pavers around one side of the garage, and last weekend I built an outside workbench. I got some free industrial storage racks, in fact they're the exact same brand that Home Depot uses, and I'm pouring small piers for them to sit on behind the shop. When I'll have almost 70 linear of 36" deep shelving that's strong enough to store engines on. As a bonus, I got a smaller rack with 24 linear feet of 30" of the same type of shelving. Oh, and on top of that, I have one spare riser; I can pick up another riser and rails for ~$150 which would give me another 30-something linear feet, or a lot more if I can find 12' rails.

Once the shelving is done, I'm going to build cover over the outdoor workbench area. I need a place to do messy work (ie fiberglass molds) that's somewhat protected from the elements.

Various VWs

Last edited by widebody911; 10-17-2005 at 09:02 PM..
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Recreational User

Hey Milt!

That's proof I didn't completely outgrow my G.I. Joe phase...

How about a 1943 Ford built Willys-designed WWII army jeep with a matching 1943 American Bantam Car Company built ¼-ton amphibious trailer (it floats) to accent a Porsche collection?

I call it "the geezer magnet" because it always attracts 80-y-o men and their war stories when I park it someplace.

Last edited by DarrylD; 10-17-2005 at 09:58 PM..
Old 10-17-2005, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally posted by widebody911
Lay the base slab, form the raised section, but put down a layer of that felt stuff first; then it's easy to pop out the raised section later!
Thom, the Village will inspect before and after the concrete is placed. And the concrete guys are not going to make two trips with the truck () The inspector will be wary of any attempts to turn it into a 2 car. I went back and forth with them for weeks to get them to allow a building with such a large foot print.

Honestly, I don't want it to be a 2-car. I need shop space to work on "stuff." When I finally get fed up with the neighbors I'll probably move out to a small farm and build a pole barn big enough for 10 cars!

As for doors (Richard), I'll probably install the roll up doors that "coil" into a roll above the door. No tracks. If that doesn't fly, I'll angle the tracks up to follow the ceiling (like Cary did in his Montana garage).

Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: