Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

looking for ideas for my garage

Going to convert my office into a third car garage. I'll end up with two single car garage doors seen from the front of the house. The door on the right will be a tandem garage, sort of like a backwards L if viewed from the top. Anyway, just wondering what you all have in your garages (tool benches, lifts, compressor set-ups, central vacuum, sound system, satellite TV, etc). Mind showing me pix?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Good thread because I'm looking at having a triple-car "L shaped" garage built in the new year
Protomotive MAP ECU, Twin Plugged Heads, GT2-EVO CAMs, 3.3L fully finned P&C's, ARP fasteners, C2T head gaskets, Titanium Retainers, Turbo spec valves, springs & guides, 964 splash valves, GT35R BB turbo, GSF Stainless Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, Full bay Intercooler, TiAL 46mm w/gate, TiAL 50mm BOV, Apexi AVC-R EBC, SPEC Stage3+ Clutch kit, Crane CDI Ignition
Old 09-29-2005, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Do a search on this forum for "2x4basics.com". You'll see my thread on my recent bench project. Great product that looks better than all wood bench.

EDIT: Here's the link:

Garage Makeover-Great Product Alert!

Last edited by efhughes3; 09-29-2005 at 05:58 PM..
Old 09-29-2005, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Nice garage Ed. Thanks for the link. I'd show a pic of my garage now but it's just too embarrasing.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
for sure you need to put up a framed and matted photo of me working in my one car garage.

you already know what i would do. air compressor cubby hole sound proofed and plumbed to the garage. central vac, with a port you can sweep too. slope the garage to a drain, so you can mop the sealed and painted concrete, modular shelving, and nice parking space outside for the SNAP ON van.....
Old 09-30-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
dont tell the wife either. next thing you know her sewing stuff is out there and you are working in the driveway again. your driveway, if i recall is like 2 to1 slope too. i was winded walking up it that day we met there for that berryessa run.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Here's mine. I stained the floor black with an acid, had the cabinets built, installed seating booth and stereo system, and wet bar area that covers washer and dryer. Great place to hang out.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Here's a similar thread that Thom started a while ago. Some good ideas...

This is what I did:

"Below is what I have in my garage and in my basement.

On the left is a Duro 50' retractable air hose reel. I love this thing! Cost about $350 but Harbor Freight and Northern tool now have a much less expensive version. Not sure of their quality though. Attached to the reel is a HF guaged air inflator with quick disconnect for use with any of the air tools.

In the center is a Delco reel I bought a t a flee market for $8. I then purchased the dual flouorescent work light at Costco for $12. About 1/2 hour to join the two and I have a 50' work light. (for the cost I bought 4 of these lights!)

On the far right I bought the 30' retractable power cord at Costco for aprox $12. I haven't seen them there recently though.

All these accessories can be wall mounted as well. However the spring on the Duro reel is massive. I had to reinforce the joist it's mounted to.

(I think I need a bulb in my garage door opener.)"

Last edited by RickM; 09-30-2005 at 10:06 AM..
Old 09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by GFORCED
Here's mine. I stained the floor black with an acid, had the cabinets built, installed seating booth and stereo system, and wet bar area that covers washer and dryer. Great place to hang out.

Dude's got a bar in his garage!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i could rent my house living space out if i had that in my garage. looks like he found a booth from the "happy days" set and installed it.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Chris - Nice work on the garage... you've been busy lately. Can you shoot me a number for whomever did your cabinets?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

you need a lift.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by motion
Chris - Nice work on the garage... you've been busy lately. Can you shoot me a number for whomever did your cabinets?
Thanks Richard, The guy that did the work I would not recommend. It took 5 months and countless phone calls.

Actually the job is still not finished (although paid for) as I wanted shelves along side the booth.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Estimate how many power outlets you'll need and double it. Wire the place for speakers, phone jacks and high speed internet. Spend alot of time on lighting. I've seen lots of beautiful garages with poorly thought out lighting. Once your car is parked in the middle of it your lighting requirements will change. Especially if you plan to work underneath it.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

A definite must is a Stainless Steel door with Marantec silent belt-drive opener.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The single handiest thing in my garage is a 3/4 bathroom. Get one, or at least a 1/2 bath.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have a 3 car tandum, just like you are discussing. I can take some pictures of the workbench tonight if you would like. It is two shelves, and runs in front of the single car, wraps around the corner, and runs the entire length of the 3rd stall. I way over engineered it as it is built with 4x4 posts, 2x4's and some pretty thick plywood.

As it can get cold here I have a seperate heater and thermostat that controls the temp in the garage, and the garage door and all of the walls are insulated. I have 14 foot ceilings, so a lift is somewhere down the line.

I also have enough room to park the Mustang, the motorcyle (now motorcycles), my wifes Volvo and before I sold it the 911, and now the WRX in it during the winter months so I don't have to scrape the windows.

Now that my 15 x 30 foot deck is done, hopefully I will have some time to spend in the garage finishing up some projects.

Bill
Old 09-30-2005, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Do a search for "Ultimate Garage" thread. There will be more garages than you ever wanted to see!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
ooooooo radiant floor heating! that way when you are laying on the ground looking at your rusty heater flapper boxes you can go, "aaaaaahhhh"

gforced's garage is soooo excellent. but it looks more like a car storage room than a car working space. couldnt imagine doing any grinding in there. and you certianly cannot throw a wrench against the wall in frustration/stress relief. BUT I LOVE IT!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by vash
gforced's garage is soooo excellent. but it looks more like a car storage room than a car working space. couldnt imagine doing any grinding in there. and you certianly cannot throw a wrench against the wall in frustration/stress relief. BUT I LOVE IT!
Vash, I know nothing about cars!! Both are under warranty and I like to drink beer with friends and look at them.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: