Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1976 911S price?

Hello,
I've always wanted a Porsche 911 but am ignorant as to what to look for when buying a used one;

I'm looking at a 1976 911S and would appreciate any feedback on if the asking price is reasonable.
The owner is asking $8750.

Here's the details:
1976 911S
104,000 miles
No rust, no dents
Engine rebuilt 20K miles ago, with upgraded studs, tensioners and pop-off valve -- to address the weaknesses of the 2.7.
Everything else original
New tires (1K miles)
According to the owner nothing is needed and everything works.

Is that a reasonable price if the car is in as good a condition as advertised? Any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2005, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Get a pre purchase inspection better known as a PPI the price sounds about right for these cars id have a look at the trans and seee how she shifts but again have someon that knows these cars have a look, things can get pricey Good luck
97 GT Ragtop
74/76 Jeep cj's
Old 10-03-2005, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Welcome to the board.

Is there any documentation for the rebuild? Like who did it what was done ect? Also I would reccomend getting a Pre Purchase Inspection by a reputable Porsche shop. Where is the car being sold? Someone here will probably be able to get you lined up with a good shop to look it over. 8750 is a decent price for a mid year, but i did see a 76 with a 3.0L upgrade just go for 9K. So you have another reference point. Watch closely for rust. Porsche started galvanizing cars in the middle of 1976 and rust is a major pain in the butt so look at the suspension pickup points closely. Check the rocker panels real closely, particularly around the hole where you put the jack into the car. Good LUCK
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal911SC
1. Is there really no rust? Has there ever been (i.e. is there bondod/painted over rust?

2. Are the miles accurate? (Does it have service records that can help document the miles?)

3. Is there documentation for the rebuild?

4. If you have to smog it in your area, does it have all the smog stuff on it and will it pass smog?

5. Everything else is original? It has the original paint?

I think for a really nice, original paint, properly rebuilt, upgraded and documented engine from a good, reputable engine builder, '76 the price is reasonable. That's quite a few "ifs," though.
I agree 100%. Per one of the other posts, I'd like to know where the car is and if you can forward any photos.

Is it a Targa or a coupe? Color? Wheels?

Don
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'll find a shop and do a PPI first, if I get to that point.
Here's some pics. How's she look?

Last edited by US911; 10-03-2005 at 11:47 AM..
Old 10-03-2005, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

One more:
Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like a nice one, I love that color. Those seats look very 1970s, are they original??
Old 10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
Heck, I'm real tempted to buy it... but I don't have the financial ability right now, and of course, I don't know where it is!

I'd probably see about getting a PPI. If it checks out, and, as above, the documentation backs up the condition, I'd definitely buy that car.

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 10-03-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This would be a 3rd car for us, just a fun weekend car to satisfy my mid-life crisis. Sounds like the consensus is if the PPI comes out that it's in as good condition as it appears to be it is a fair deal?

The engine was rebuilt 20K miles ago, how many more miles could I reasonably expect, on average, before any more major work would need to be done?

Here's a side pic I forgot to post earlier:
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal911SC
Before buying, you should educate yourself on the differences between the 74-77 models (called "mid years"), the 78-83 models ("SC"), and the 84-89 models ("Carrera").

There are some significant difference, esp. between the "mid years" and the SC's.
Good advice. The more you know, the better. Even after all the bashing and 'don't do its!' with the mid-years, I still bought one.

Decide which you era you like and buy the best you can afford.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Before buying, you should educate yourself on the differences between the 74-77 models (called "mid years"), the 78-83 models ("SC"), and the 84-89 models ("Carrera").
I've done some research on the various models and have read about the "mid years" cars. Found some great info here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/technical_specs/911_guthrie_faq.htm

As it's just a fun, weekend, tinker car, I was hoping to keep my purchase under $10K.

As this is a mid-year car but looks to have had the problems with the 2.7 engine addressed in the rebuild and has no apparent rusting, it seems like this car might fit the bill for me.

Any other feedback is always appreciated.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
uh, I think your ok with that one, that seems pretty cheap.
77 2.7 911s chocolate w/ducktail (Mr Hankey) (sold)
77 930 black (sold)
Old 10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The engine was rebuilt 20K miles ago, how many more miles could I reasonably expect, on average, before any more major work would need to be done

Well that all depends on prior usage quality of the rebuild,or a dozen other things Heck i could see you applying 100.000 miles on it with no probs maybe more.or you could run around the block and capoooyie. All in all again get a thourough PPI and welcome to the club.
97 GT Ragtop
74/76 Jeep cj's
Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Andersen

Well that all depends on prior usage quality of the rebuild,or a dozen other things Heck i could see you applying 100.000 miles on it with no probs maybe more.or you could run around the block and capoooyie. All in all again get a thourough PPI and welcome to the club.
I agree.

That looks like a heck of a nice car for the $$$.

Good Luck with the PPI. You still haven't said where you are located. The guys here will help you find a good shop for the PPI.

Don

Don
Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Depends on if the rebuild was a good rebuild and if the thermal reactors fell off in the process.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

In my opinion narrow bodies are classics and getting rare. With a quality rebuild the 2.7 is a good engine.

If the PPI looks good then the price is fair.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 10-03-2005, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

if looks are anything and the info posted is right 10000 is a good price.I do not see how you could get hurt,besides lighter is better!( I might be a little one sided and jaded here.................)

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I love my 76 S. It was/is a good "first" Porsche to have. All the updates have been done on the engine, after a top end rebuild 6000 miles ago, and I have no complaints. Now I'm ready to move up to the SC or Carrera line.
MID9 #4

if i cant play with it ,,i dont want to own it
Old 10-03-2005, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Hi and welcome. That looks like very nice car. I went through the same process in the spring when I bought my '77. Mine had had a complete top and bottom engine rebuild around 35,000 miles ago, plus all the upgrades, as well as losing the thermal reactors, air pump, and a/c. Otherwise its pretty much stock.

I didn't have a PPI but we know the seller -- and it came with all the receipts back to the 1st owner. Does the current owner have the car's history (receipts etc for work done)? That will be a major asset with an older car.

I've covered just under 10,000 km (say 6,000 miles) since April -- and there've been NO regrets. If it checks out OK, go for it!

YMMV,

Last edited by Rod.911S; 10-03-2005 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
That looks like a sweet little car, great color and condition. The originality/correctness of everything pictured is a very positive sign of intelligent prior ownership, not always easy to find.

I agree w/ the previous comments about getting a PPI from a shop that knows these cars and drives a lot of them. That separates the wheat from the chafe in a hurry.

Longevity has a lot to do with proper maintenence and keeping these cars running cool, plenty of info on both on this forum. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-04-2005, 01:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: