Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No news on 911 rust; bought a new daily driver.

For those who checked out my '72 911T threads about rust from a few weeks ago, I have no additional news regarding the car itself. I do, however, have some info on a night class for welding at the local community college for this winter, and another line on an enclosed space for the car. For now I have the car covered in inclement weather.

In the mean time, I bought a new driver:

It's a 1972 2002, with an unusual VIN that the Mobile Tradition guys say makes it a South American car. It was a knock-down car, built up by the importer most likely in Uraguay. I think it looks mean in flat black but it has been shot and blocked out since this pic was taken, so I will be touching up the body a bit and having a local fellow look at shooting it. DAS has the car right now - it dropped in Bristol PA Monday afternoon and arrived Thursday evening in Jonesboro GA. I'm going after it tomorrow morning. I think it looks like a big Hot Wheels car! It will replace my 1965 Plymouth Valiant. A really cool distraction from the 911 until I can get into the welding class!

You guys have convinced me I can learn to weld and save my 911 before it is too late. Thanks a million!

-Andrew

Old 10-07-2005, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

You'll like the 2002...not as fast as a 911 but tons of character and great fun to bomb around in. The limits are low so you can push it on the street without attracting too much attention.

I sold mine a few months ago, it was about as rusted as your 911-fixable but a little too much work for me.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
02s are great cars, I've had about 5. Really just a blast to push in the twisties, great feel.
'72 T gone
Old 10-07-2005, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used User

Heh he, should have left it the flat black. There aren't too many of us around with the "Scruffy" look.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

02s are awesome!
Now go get some flares and paint it orange !

Old 10-08-2005, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Love the 2002...my Dad had promised that we would restore one together as a father and son project...but sadly never happened....love them to death...especially the Tii Turbo, which I was fortunate to drive recently.

Yasin
Old 10-08-2005, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

To enter the 02 world in Norway is equal to enter an adventure in rust....
I also had 5 of them - both in touring body and the more common sedan - tii's with orig tinted windows and s/r
They are fetching fairly good prices over here now. I've always wanted the 1600-2 full convertible - saw a couple in San Diego two years ago, and of course not for sale...
X 78 911 Speedster - silver/black
-and prev. 20 other porsches
Old 10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

oooh....2002 turbo...never got a chance to drive one, but I did get a ride.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies guys! I have the car now. I drove it around 120 miles today, from the drop terminal to my friend's family's house and then home, from south of Atlanta to Athens GA. The seller was absolutely straight with me on this car. It is exactly as described and thus better than expected. The interior in particular, is more than I hoped for. It's rough around the edges inside and out but that was expected. The car was Verona red prior to being primed, so it will be either Verona or Inka orange. No flares though

-Andrew
Old 10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nobody

Garage
so what's the "good" year to own?
Old 10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by bob tilton
so what's the "good" year to own?
Depends on which one. For Tii, I think the 72 is the way to go (pictured foreground)). They had tighter bumpers and just seemed a little quicker. However, they had funky seatbelts. Turbos were only available in 74/75 (I think)-pretty much the same year to year. The earlier cars had shorter bumpers and no lower protective molding. The 74-76 (76 pictured backround) cars had the big, ugly-ass bumpers, but when modified (read as-backdated), look great.

As far as speed goes, I do "drives" with a 2002 group in NW Arkansas. I'm doing my best to stay with some of the faster 02s in my 911.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

'72 and '73 tii's are the most desirable models imported to the US. There were '74 tii's as well, they had the larger "impact bumpers" (sound familiar?) and square taillights. The later body style has it's fans while some like the earlier look of the round tailights and small bumpers.

I think '75's had some weird emissions stuff that was sorted by '76. For '77 the car was replaced with the 320i. Each version has it's fans but it's nothing like the cost and performance difference between a '73S and a '74S...the various year 2002's are much more similar.

The best one to buy is one that hasn't rusted and someone else has spent a bunch of money on! LSD, 5 speed, recaros, suspension mods and a built engine with sidedrafts make for a super fun car but they sell for less than they cost to build.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Todsimpson

The best one to buy is one that hasn't rusted and someone else has spent a bunch of money on! LSD, 5 speed, recaros, suspension mods and a built engine with sidedrafts make for a super fun car but they sell for less than they cost to build.
You've just exactly desribed the tan car above, except the side drafts (Tii puts out comparable hp). I dumped a ton of cash into it. When I sold it, I got about what I paid for it-before the mods.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like the early cars, '69 & '70 ('67 and '68 I think had 6 volt) but up to 73 is better then 74-76 cars. I've had a '70 1600 (soon to be for sale), '72, '74 tii, '75 and a never running '70 and as much as I like the tii the early cars just felt better. If I was to get another it would be a 70 but I'm getting out of the 02 scene for now and hanging out w/ you guys.
'72 T gone
Old 10-08-2005, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Unless you plan on building a Duesenberg or something along the lines of a 300SL Gullwing Benz....it can be said that most cars are sold for less than they cost to build.

Yasin
Old 10-08-2005, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
We Were Always Free

Had a used '71 my senior year in high school...man does this thread bring back some very pleasant memories.
Tough little car. Thanks to all.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 10-08-2005, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'll snap a photo of the car tomorrow, now that I have it, and post it here.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Okay, here are some pics of the '02 as it now looks, and as it sits atop my driveway.

and an ATS wheel, with cheap crappy balance weight and oversprayed tire:

Hi-beam stalk shorted out this morning so I had to remove it. No headlights 'till I find a replacement, and I refuse to buy new.

-Andrew
Old 10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Looks like a cat fight is about to break out over who gets to hang out on the 02.
'72 T gone
Old 10-10-2005, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Cats like BMWs. It is the highest perch they can find to survey the area and most dogs can't jump that high.

As for the 2002 Turbo. A friend of mine had one for a short time. Dog slow til the turbo spooled up and then bam!. That car pulled away form my 73S on the highway. It was scary.

Have fun with new 02.

Don

Old 10-11-2005, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: