Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   steering vibration (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/245023-steering-vibration.html)

GotaT 10-08-2005 11:03 AM

steering vibration

I have a 71 911t and have an Awful steering wheel vibration when going about 55 mph. I just got new tires put on it and had it balanced. I can feel some slack in the steering wheel at a stand still when moving it left to right.. .. ... Oh , the vibration at 55 is a left right vibration in the steering wheel.. the car still tracks straight !...
Any Ideas!!! ?????

Im pretty sure ball joints are good

livi 10-08-2005 11:10 AM

Alignment ?
Correct tire pressure ?
Brake pads / disks ?

I am a novice - but thought I give it a try anyway.. ;)

al lkosmal 10-08-2005 11:17 AM

I had a mild vibration after new tires and front wheel bearings. One of my front wheel bearings wasn't tightened properly and had some play in it. Adjusted it properly and the vibration went away. I check this out first since it is an easy thing to check and fix, if required.

ghnat 10-08-2005 11:18 AM

You might want to check the tie rods and bearings, in addiation to what Marcus said. Does the 71 have "Steering Wheel Bearing Qwik-Fix Sleeve" problems like mine did? If so that may help if you can move the wheel up and down/left and right with out turning the wheel.
Any good advice from the suspension pros and this one?

GotaT 10-10-2005 08:19 AM

hey greg, my 71 does not have the quick fix steering wheel. however mine does show some minor play in it.. but i dont think that would cause the problem I'm seeing.. The steering wheel moves left and right about an inch to inch and a half. and i can see the front fenders bobbing up and down. : (

GotaT 10-10-2005 08:25 AM

oh .. i have New front pads and rotors.. Rears are used

avendlerdp 10-10-2005 08:29 AM

Check for bent rims. Happened to me.

NoLift911 10-10-2005 08:54 AM

Did you have this problem before the new tires?

GotaT 10-11-2005 05:24 AM

yes, i had the prob before the new tires.. and I had also had the old tires rebalanced.

b. hilliard 10-11-2005 08:51 AM

I too had a nasty vibration at 55 mph recently after leaving the auto-x track. Everything seemed in order when I stopped to look, but when I dug deeper, it was obvious. One of my 911S calipers (aluminum) had seized mildly onto the disc and was dragging... rebuilt the calipers and all was well..

GotaT 10-12-2005 07:27 AM

Hmmmm... Even though i just put new rotors and pads.. that may be the prob...

b. hilliard 10-12-2005 08:20 AM

Jack up the front and give the ol' wheel a spin... mine was dragging enough that it would only go one or 2 revolutions, and seemed to hit a "high" spot on the rotor. I actually thought i had warped rotors due to the "high" spot, but once i rebuilt the calipers, there was no dragging and the shimmy that was present (under braking as well ) went away. Actually, now that I think of it, it was suggested that I sand my rotors and pads a bit too, in order to get rid of deposits (or glazing?) that may produce a grabbing effect and make the rotors feel out of round. I did this as well, so it couldn't hurt to give that a try....
Brian

GotaT 10-12-2005 11:23 AM

whats the procedure to rebuilding" the calipers? I have New crossdrilled rotors and new pads already. .. I also do know that if I spin the wheels they seem to have some restriction.

livi 10-12-2005 11:41 AM

I experienced the same symptoms after installing new pads. Jacking up the car there also was a bit of resistance when spinning the wheels.

My brother smacked me on the head and made me remove the new pads again - and instilled a small quantity of oil under the caliper piston rubber seals during a maneuver where I pressed the pistons back in the caliper and the pushed them out again with the brake pedal a few times.

After that the wheels spun uninhibited and the driving symptoms where gone.

Just a hunch...

felix_browne 10-12-2005 01:24 PM

if it was a siezed caliper the car would noticably pull in that direction and would not track straight as you say. that being said, rebuilding the calipers is pretty straight forward and wouldn't hurt to do anyway. if you have wayne's 101 projects book or a bently manuel you should be covered for the process.

GotaT 10-13-2005 06:01 AM

Thanks for the posts!.. im going to try to check those brakes this wknd.

b. hilliard 10-13-2005 08:07 AM

good luck, gotaT-
I used wayne's 101 projects to do the job and it worked perfectly... had to bleed the brakes a few time using the 2 person method, but I'm very happy.