Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Send a message via AIM to GotaT Send a message via Yahoo to GotaT
steering vibration

I have a 71 911t and have an Awful steering wheel vibration when going about 55 mph. I just got new tires put on it and had it balanced. I can feel some slack in the steering wheel at a stand still when moving it left to right.. .. ... Oh , the vibration at 55 is a left right vibration in the steering wheel.. the car still tracks straight !...
Any Ideas!!! ?????

Im pretty sure ball joints are good

Old 10-08-2005, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Alignment ?
Correct tire pressure ?
Brake pads / disks ?

I am a novice - but thought I give it a try anyway..

Carrera '85
Old 10-08-2005, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

I had a mild vibration after new tires and front wheel bearings. One of my front wheel bearings wasn't tightened properly and had some play in it. Adjusted it properly and the vibration went away. I check this out first since it is an easy thing to check and fix, if required.
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 10-08-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
You might want to check the tie rods and bearings, in addiation to what Marcus said. Does the 71 have "Steering Wheel Bearing Qwik-Fix Sleeve" problems like mine did? If so that may help if you can move the wheel up and down/left and right with out turning the wheel.
Any good advice from the suspension pros and this one?
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 10-08-2005, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

hey greg, my 71 does not have the quick fix steering wheel. however mine does show some minor play in it.. but i dont think that would cause the problem I'm seeing.. The steering wheel moves left and right about an inch to inch and a half. and i can see the front fenders bobbing up and down. : (
Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

oh .. i have New front pads and rotors.. Rears are used
Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Check for bent rims. Happened to me.
1993 Ford Super Duty Racecar Hauler
Old 10-10-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to NoLift911
Did you have this problem before the new tires?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

yes, i had the prob before the new tires.. and I had also had the old tires rebalanced.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I too had a nasty vibration at 55 mph recently after leaving the auto-x track. Everything seemed in order when I stopped to look, but when I dug deeper, it was obvious. One of my 911S calipers (aluminum) had seized mildly onto the disc and was dragging... rebuilt the calipers and all was well..
'94 Toyota 4Runner 5 spd
'00 BMW 323i sedan
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Hmmmm... Even though i just put new rotors and pads.. that may be the prob...
Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Jack up the front and give the ol' wheel a spin... mine was dragging enough that it would only go one or 2 revolutions, and seemed to hit a "high" spot on the rotor. I actually thought i had warped rotors due to the "high" spot, but once i rebuilt the calipers, there was no dragging and the shimmy that was present (under braking as well ) went away. Actually, now that I think of it, it was suggested that I sand my rotors and pads a bit too, in order to get rid of deposits (or glazing?) that may produce a grabbing effect and make the rotors feel out of round. I did this as well, so it couldn't hurt to give that a try....
Brian
'94 Toyota 4Runner 5 spd
'00 BMW 323i sedan
Old 10-12-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

whats the procedure to rebuilding" the calipers? I have New crossdrilled rotors and new pads already. .. I also do know that if I spin the wheels they seem to have some restriction.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
durn for'ner

I experienced the same symptoms after installing new pads. Jacking up the car there also was a bit of resistance when spinning the wheels.

My brother smacked me on the head and made me remove the new pads again - and instilled a small quantity of oil under the caliper piston rubber seals during a maneuver where I pressed the pistons back in the caliper and the pushed them out again with the brake pedal a few times.

After that the wheels spun uninhibited and the driving symptoms where gone.

Just a hunch...

Carrera '85
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

if it was a siezed caliper the car would noticably pull in that direction and would not track straight as you say. that being said, rebuilding the calipers is pretty straight forward and wouldn't hurt to do anyway. if you have wayne's 101 projects book or a bently manuel you should be covered for the process.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the posts!.. im going to try to check those brakes this wknd.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

good luck, gotaT-
I used wayne's 101 projects to do the job and it worked perfectly... had to bleed the brakes a few time using the 2 person method, but I'm very happy.

'94 Toyota 4Runner 5 spd
'00 BMW 323i sedan
Old 10-13-2005, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: