Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question What would you do? (1st time that I ever got to drive my 1st 911...)

Today was supposed to be a good day? I was picking up my car that I have been working on since last November. I brought it to my mechanic in May to do a few things and fine tune and it turned into a ‘while we are there’ event…which I am good with as it has been allot of fun....expensive - but fun.

My expectation was that the car would be running well and I will basically just pay the man and drive off. The car is a 70’ so I have come accustomed to there always being something. Aside from there being absolutely no gas in the car there were several problems related to the gas lines & tank that we supposedly addressed and I was off.

Not more than 2 miles away, the car starts losing power and I realize that the problem has not been solved. I turn the car around at the next exit and we are on our way back to my mechanics. About a mile away my trunk lid pops open and smashes my windshield. I am on a highway and I manage to get the car over to the side of the road without further incedent. Other than my hood and windshield being written off, the cowling around the windshield is a complete mess.

My mechanic had secured my trunk lid with a bungee cord as he wanted my body guy to do the adjustment on the latch as he ‘is the master’. I figured he knew what he was talking about and that the bungee would hold. I am not sure what made it break but I figure it was cut by my fiberglass bumper.

Here is my question. Is this just tough luck or should I ask my mechanic to assist in compensating me for this damage?

At this point I am at a loss and still digesting this turn of events.

Thanks for listening and any feedback is appreciated. Here is a couple of pictures of my car pre-damage. (Not a great shots but the best I have at the moment)

Old 10-08-2005, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sorry for your difficulty. Did your mechanic give you the go-ahead to drive at high speeds with this half-assed method of securing the trunk lid?It seems to me that he bears at least some of the responsibilty for this mess and should work with you to correct it, he should have "the master" do the repairs at little or no cost to you.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Ouch, that sounds like a painful first drive. I would hope he does the stand up thing and helps in getting it repaired but I don't think he's responsible to do so.

BTW, your car looks great, I hope you getting up and going soon.

Please keep us posted.
'72 T gone
Old 10-08-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Boomvang: Yes he did give me the go ahead to drive on the highway.

Thank you all for your feedback. Please keep it coming. I am still not sure how I am going to handle this situation...

_________
Brent
70' 911
Old 10-08-2005, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Let the insurance take care of this, that is why we pay those outrageous premiums.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

The guy should have NEVER secured the hood with a bungee cord for Christ sakes! The failure should be totally his responsibility. Have them FIX it and keep an eye on the quality of the work in progress.
I can't believe that.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If he doesn't take responsibility and your insurance company doesn't lean on him then you need to see a lawyer or head straight to small claims court.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Tell him your story - Listen to his reponse, if it's not what you like to hear - SMALL CLAIMS

He's not the only mechanic on the block.

(Oh wait, your in Canada, different rules apply maybe)
A jewel in the rough
2000 Grand Cherokee
Family Wagon with Jewels on board
Old 10-09-2005, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Insurance job. But HIS insurance claim. It is ludicrous to tie down a front hood with cord and a stretchy one at that.

Porsche designed our hoods to have a latch AND a safety release to prevent just this fromr occuring. I can't believe he told you it would be safe?

Simon
Old 10-09-2005, 02:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Give the shop owner written estimates of the cost to repair the damage because of his negligence. He'll file the claim with his insurance company (assuming he has adequate insurance). If no recourse, sue him.

1987 3.2 Carmine Red Carrera
1995 Midnight Blue 993 C4
1957 Silver Speedster Outlaw (replica)
Old 10-09-2005, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Location: the bluest city in the bluest county in the bluest state by the bluest ocean...did I mention the blue skies???
after this is delt with ....NEVER darken his door again !!!
a Buick mechanic would probably do better....
1990 Chevy 4x4 2500 pickup (with 255K & still rockin')
Old 10-09-2005, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments.

His intent was for me to just get the car home and then to my body guy to secure the lid. In retrospect, this was obviously not a suitable solution.

One challenge I have is that this guy is a well respected Porsche mechanic and in Ottawa, Canada there are very few choices for mechanics who do good work on early 911's. In fact, before embarking on this project, I did my homework and all roads pointed to this guy as the mechanic of choice.

I am not making excuses for the guy, this is just some of the perameters I have to consider when deciding on recourse.

_________
Brent
70' 911
Old 10-09-2005, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I'm with Bill

As a wrench I am embarased By the fact he let you take the car. I refuse to let a customer (either from the shop I work at or the shop at my house) take a car from my care with something dangerous going on. Your hood fits that bill. I can't refuse you access to your car but I can make you sign a waiver of responsibility. If you wern't asked to do such, the bill to repair is his.
good luck and good looking car
Old 10-09-2005, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your car...that is appaling and really inexcuseable.

My take....the mechanic is on the hook for at minimum your deductable....at minimum!

This is like him rotating the tires and forgetting to tighten the lug nuts and the wheel comes off.....see where I am going?

Even though Ottawa is a good 6hour haul from TO, TO has some great Porsche mechanics and even though this may not be feasible...it might be worth looking into...what about Montreal?

I do not put up with incompetance and yes mistakes happen...so 'fess-up to it...never feel victimized and if the tables were turned and you were a mechanic and you tied down the hood of a customer's car with a bungie chord, wouldn't you feel guilty and also do you think your customer would shrug it off?

Yasin
Old 10-09-2005, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

If that hood had caused you to lose control and hit another car injuring the occupants do you think that the mechanic would be free of liability?

He needs to take care of it. He is very fortunate that there wasnt someone injured
RGruppe#252
Old 10-09-2005, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
If he doesn't want to take care of the damages out of his pocket, you should file a claim with your insurance company.

make sure they know the damage was the result of the mechanic's work.

Let your insurance go after him and save yourself the hassle.

2003 996tt
1997 911 Coupe Artic Silver (sold)
1988 Black 911 Coupe (gone but not forgetten)
Old 10-09-2005, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Once again - thank you to all for your input...It is helping ease the pain.

An insurance claim is not an option as this will just cost me huge dollars in premiums in the future...I would rather just bite the bullet now if that is the case.

At this point, I think I am going to talk to him and see where he is at. If he completely admonishes himself of the issue then I will take him to small claims court.

_________
Brent
70' 911
Old 10-09-2005, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Update:

I spoke with the mechanic today and although we have not ironed out all of the details as of yet, it looks as though he is going to make good on the situation. We trailored the car to the body shop and work begins tomorrow morning.

Here are a couple of pictures of the damage...Thanks to all for your input.

_______
Brent
70' 911
Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

OUCH! - If he is reputable he will take care of the damage.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Used User

Quote:
Originally posted by plymouthcolt
If he doesn't want to take care of the damages out of his pocket, you should file a claim with your insurance company.

make sure they know the damage was the result of the mechanic's work.

Let your insurance go after him and save yourself the hassle.
Pipe dream. Insurance companies might send a letter from thier legal dept to the shop owner's ins legal people. If it isn't cut and dry, it will probably die right there and you will be stuck with the premiums, as you so wisely stated.

I believe you are on the right path, work it out. And, Dave (Cornpanzer) is spot on. Does this dickwad need any reminding of that fact?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: