Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Winter suspension projects

Experts please advise and steer me in the right directon. Wife hates riding in the 911 so I might as well make it as uncomfortable as possible . I do aprox three events a year now. Car is not a daily driver. Research has led me to the following set up. Please chime in with advice.

SRP 23mm sway bar

22mm front and 30mm rear T-bars

Bilstien sports all around

New ball joints

Turbo tie rods

Currently have a Brey Krause strut brace

GruppeB #2119

Volvo V70SE-Wife mobile
Nissan Frontier-Home Depot mobile

Last edited by 4to8m8; 10-09-2005 at 09:47 AM..
Old 10-09-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Time zone bump
GruppeB #2119

Volvo V70SE-Wife mobile
Old 10-09-2005, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Have you considered having SRP to revalve your shocks instead of getting the Sports Bilsteins?

You should also consider mono-balls and other busings if they have not been replaced.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Looks good. When you go to put in the T bars you can examine the bushings. Chances are they probably need replacing.

I went with Elephant front and Wevo SPS for the rear and am very pleased. Not only is the suspension more precise but it also improved ride quality. The ride is less jittery. My guess is because of less stiction.

Sport Bilsteins should match fairly close to those T bars but you can check with Bilstein on that.

Once you get it together you'll know or not if you need a bigger rear sway. This can be your last step since switching sways doesn't affect alignment.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 10-09-2005, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Do my sway bar and t-bar sizes look okay for DE application?
GruppeB #2119

Volvo V70SE-Wife mobile
Old 10-09-2005, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I love my setup and would also advise that you replace the bushings while doing this project. Also, consider swapping out your springplates for the AJ-USA style adjustible ones. It truly makes adjusting the final ride height sooooo much easier. Definatly worth the added $300.

See my setup in my signature below.
1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-09-2005, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Warren Hall Student

Garage
Quote:
Do my sway bar and t-bar sizes look okay for DE application?
I'd say the setup your going with is more than adequate.

I feel that my setup which is maybe a notch down from yours and is plenty for me at least at this point in my learning curve. pun intended

Since your car is a little heavier than mine they might even be pretty close in feel actually.

Noel, I see ours cars are setup pretty close. 22/28 T bars, 22/21 sways etc. I don't know about you but I love the setup. I feel it's a great compromise for a street/track car.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 10-11-2005, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bobby,

I agree. I find that my shock valving settings really make for a ride that is not very harsh. It is firm, but not harsh. In fact, the stock Bilsteins that came with the car produced a much harsher ride over bumps.
1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have 21 / 30 TBs with Tarrett adjustable sway bars. The sizing has to do with the weight of your car, too.

I think custom valving is a great idea for oversized TBs. Matching the valving to the bar size is critical. If you already have Bilsteins, you can send them out to be re-valved for $65ea. which is cheaper than new ones. One of the tuners would have it done for you OR the rep at Bilstein probably has some decent settings too. Talk to an expert, you'll be glad you did.

I would strongly recommend changing all of the bushings, maybe raising the spindles on the struts (lower ride hieght and CG). Cost of complete alignment, corner balance and bumpsteer (if you lower significantly) is not cheap. The results will be incredible, however! I'd hate to not change some bushings, pay $500+ for alignment, corner balance only to change out the bushings later and have to pay all over again. Had I done mine again, I would have used WEVO springplates, rather than the stock adjustables + Elephant Racing springplate bushings. They are nice, but the WEVO is REALLY nice and would save labor on the corner balance and alignment.

Doug
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

You may want to find someone who has done all of the cahnges and go for a ride, if you can. It will be very insightful, especially, if you go with someone to the DE events or track events that you will attend. Copy someone else's setup that you like.

I would suggest you look into monoballs at the strut towers (Tarrett and Elephant sell the same ones which increase camber - they are called offset camber plates. Finally, if you are changing the ball joints, you may want to look into Elephant Racing offset (again more camber). Lots of choices, but if you nail it you will be incredibly happy.

Doug

Doug
Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I have 21's and 29's on a street Targa and am quite happy. Just using the stock late Carrera sways.

Do the bushings, for sure, it makes little sense to do everything else and not do them on a car that's now more than 20 yrs old.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
i have 22's w/ brand new sports in the front and i feel the ride is fine. not fun on potholes, but what setup is. also, i believe my car may be lighter than yours so you may even be ok w/ 23's.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanx for all the info/advice gents. This thread will help me place my parts order.

Does anyone know what the stock t-bar sizes are for my 84 Carrera?
GruppeB #2119

Volvo V70SE-Wife mobile
Old 10-11-2005, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Stock 19mm/24mm

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 10-11-2005, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Hey Rev,

I too have a '84 and I'm thinking about suspension as a winter project. Let us know what you decide.

Jeff

......and a minivan for the crew
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: