Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1982 SC won't start

Just came back from a DE @ Pocono-car ran flawless-shut car down to make room in garage and now the car won't start.

Charging system checked out as I had the battery replaced less than a month ago so that's good;fuel pump is running; no noise whatsoever from the starter.

What's up here? Starter solenoid?

What is really frustrating is that I just did a major service about 2 months and am starting to look at some later model c2 and 95 993 coupes and selling the SC.

Suggestions please.....

Old 10-09-2005, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

did you try to hit the starter with the hammer to see if it jammed?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

wait an hour or so and I bet it will start up like nothing happened.

Heat soaked starter.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

No luck Paul. I think my starter is shot-shouldn't it be making a clicking noise at least???

Any relays or fuses I should be checking??

PS-I forget to mention my dashboard blower motor went bye-bye on saturday.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check to make sure the solenoid wire from the ignition switch is on nice and tight and that you're getting juice to it from the ignition switch when cranking,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
French member

Garage
I would unscrew the battery posts, clean them with a wire brush, ans rescrew. Sometimes, a ohmic drop there will prevent the starter from kicking in. Hapened to me...

Aurel
Hear my rebuilt motor! Dyno
Old 10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Happened to me when once in my 78, I pop started it and it has been fine since.. figured the starter was locked up somehow.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

If the starter were bad, wouldn't it be making a clicking noise?

There is no noise from the starter whatsoever.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Check the 14-pin connector on the driver's side of the engine compartment. Perhaps it is loose.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Mine made NO noise at all, just heard the fuel pump going. All connections were good, assume it was a stuck solonoid or something. Can you roll the car and start it where it is?
Old 10-10-2005, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I would repeate Jim's advice. Check the 14-pin connector at the fuse panel in the engine compartment on the drivers' side. The fat yellow wire that goes through that connector is your starter circuit. I once had this same problem and it turned out to be a dirty pin. Clean the heck out of that pin.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

"Clean the heck out of that pin." Pins are silver plated so only use a no. 2 pencil eraser to clean. Pin fit can be tightened by spreading them at the crossed slits using a razor balde.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Gary-I rolled the car and it started-that is how I got it into the garage-and after I shut it off it wouldn't start again.

Jim and Superman-I will check that out after work; I did a DE and the car was out in the rain all weekend; however it ran flawlessly right til it died in the driveway.

Thanks boys!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vesnyder Send a message via Yahoo to vesnyder
Had a similar situation. It was after a long run in the dead of Summer. Waited a while and it started no problem! It did not make any noise - just nothing. Not that uncommon, from what I've gathered.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by m325ix
did you try to hit the starter with the hammer to see if it jammed?
I tapped the solenoid with a hammer and it started right up!

Should I replace the solenoid now or is it an isolated incident?

Thank you all....
Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If it doesn't happen twice, it didn't ever really happen.

1980 911SC Targa - Sold
1972 914 - Sold
Old 10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: