Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
you see Arthur...

knock from front

Noticed yesterday a knock coming from the front right. After furhter inspection it appears to be coming from the top shock mount. I just had the alignment done and everything is tight and shocks are fine. Can I just snug up the top nut to remove the small amount of play? Secondly how do I adjust said nut? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-10-2005, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

bump
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-10-2005, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

how big is the nut you are talking about?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-10-2005, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

its the 19mm nut on the top of the strut.
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-11-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
GFCC

Jason, Yes you can just snug up the top nut, as it does nothing to alignment. An impact wrench is the way to do it, that way you can get the proper torque on the nut. Other wise the shock will just turn as you are trying to tighten the nut.

1976 911 Coupe w/ Euro 3.0 - Sold
1987 Carrera Coupe - Sold
1999 Carrera Cabriolet - Current
Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

If the top stut nut is tight, my guess is that the large nut (#4) that secures the cartridge in the strut housing has backed off and the cartridge is banging around.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

you see Arthur...

Kurt V

if the large nut #4 is banging around, can I snug that up?
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-11-2005, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonlee
Kurt V
if the large nut #4 is banging around, can I snug that up?
It can be done on the car, but is a bit of a pain. You need to jack the side of the car up so the wheel is off the ground (make sure you use a jack stand) push up the dust cover on the strut (#5) and using either large channel locks, if you can get access, or a drift and hammer, tighten the nut up.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

#4 is the cap nut on the strut tube - the Bilstein inserts come with a wrench for it - it is a flat piece of steel with a 1/2 sq. cutout for a torque wrench, etc. be sure to do the math since you are adding to the moment arm for the torque wrench

I don't think the top strut nut (19 mm; aka # 11) would be the problem unless it was really loose & prob. not even then

you are probably in for that bit of a pain...

Are your strut inserts getting old? If so this is the time to get them renewed by Bilstein USA or replaced (by you). YOu will be doing about 48% of the work to replace/refurbish -- half since it's one side not the other and the other 2% for shipping or purchasing...

Old 10-11-2005, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

randywebb
I think my struts are in good condition. If I replace the strut insert is that #7? Will I have to pull the strut out completely? Is it possible that it may be the upper thrust bearing? That said, I didn't notice any knock today.
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-11-2005, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

yes #7. IF they are really in good shape then all you'd get might be a "tune-up" but if they have slowly deteriorated over time so slowly that you did not notice anything...

You can be careful w/ the brake lines and just hang the strut top w/wire - no need to remove (BTW - how are your ball joints?). There are threads on how to do this if you search. Got a Bentley manual?

Why not post the # miles on your shocks for perusal by the bbs experts?
Also, how do you intend ot use the car? Bilstein can tune the inserts for you if that's what you have - and it is one of the few baragains in Pooscheydom.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

I will have to double check what kind of shape they are in. Ball joints are all good. Got the manual, and the Bilsteins. I will probably pull it apart this weekend and see whats up. Thanks for all the input.
00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Could also be a wheel bearing......

Cheers
997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
you see Arthur...

Thanks catca,
I thought about that, but I just rebuilt the hubs, and when investigting the upper thrust bearing, I did feel some play on the top strut mount when I pushed up and down on the fender. So at this point I am betting on the strut, or thrust bearing. Thanks.

00 ML 55 AMG
Santa Cruz Bullit
Old 10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: