Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by KobaltBlau
Yep. at least some of the carreras have a pad wear sensor, but it doesn't affect pad compatibility (except of course you can't use the wear sensor on SC pads). The wear sensor is useless for those of us who check there brakes once in a while.
Thanks.

Yes, I track my car quite a bit so checking them is not an issue. I have some very nice but very expensive PF-97s that I love on my SC Calipers right now and I am switching to the larger Carrera set up as part of a brake cooling upgrade and dont want to have to drop more money ontop of the Carrera setup unless I have to.

Sorry to drag this off-topic for a momment, I just knew the knowledge was here.

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Old 10-11-2005, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Quote:
Originally posted by hmd
Brad,

I have boxster calipers front and rears on Carrera rotors, with a twin MC and a balance bar.

No matter how front bias I set the bar there is still a possibility of locking up the rears. I don't think using the boxters calipers all round is a good idea, it is too rear bias. You would be better off using the rear carrera setup.

IMO using Boxster front calipers is a step up BUT not very cost effective you may as well go with something bigger like 993 calipers for not much more money.
Thanks for the information. There seems to be quite a few qualified shops who offer the Boxter upgrade. So, either it's a vanity thing, or there are real reasons and value behind it. I know I could do a search, but is there that much difference between the Carrera rears and the Boxster rears? The last thing I want are the backs locking up braking deep I wonder if the lockup wouold happen with a stock MC and a proportioning valve?

cheers
-B
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 10-11-2005, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Brad,

It is generally accepted that the Boxster setup is more bling than function. As Bill V has stated many times, you really need larger rotors and cooling to deal with the heat. Using the same size rotor with a bigger caliper does nothing at the track. For the street it is fine though.

1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-12-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: