Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
looking for advice on upgrades/ modifications for an 87 911 coupe

I bought the car a couple of months ago. 152k miles, engine overhauled at 100k by a Porsche dealership. Everything works except the seat heater. I am not Mario Andretti, Colin McRae, or Speed Racer. I drive the car with respect as I am not used to it yet. I plan to join PCA and get some time with an instructor down the line.
I am just looking for advice from people who have been there on what is worth doing to the car to improve its overall driveability and durability. I am going to do the turbo tie rods soon.

Just looking for general recommendations or advice for things to consider putting on the wish list as funds become available.
Thanks for any input and hope the pictures worked (first time trying).

04 Pilot "The Pilot"
Old 10-11-2005, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Given the beautiful white (?) interior, the first thing I'd do is have the wheels polished and painted by Al Reed. I think adding some "bling" to the exterior will compliment the interior nicely. While you're at it, have Al polish and clear powdercoat the fan and shroud.

Be careful when it comes to mods and improvements. It's a slippery slope once you get started.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
MBruns for President

Garage
Well at least they will see you coming! - My advice - Steve Wong chip from 911chips.com a euro premuffler and a sport muffler to start out. then get a couple of track days...

My engine used to look like that...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't do anything, wait 12 months, don't spend a dime. With all the money you saved at that point you can get the 3.4 or 5 upgrade. Or scrap/sell and realize you need the 3.6.
nice color
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal911SC
... I'd guess what it could probably benefit most from is a suspension freshening - shocks, bushings, etc. and four wheel alignment/corner balance. At 150K, your bushings are probably not in great shape, and if the shocks are original, same.
I changed shocks and bushings this summer on my 87' with 66K on the clock. It was money well spent. If you hear rattles, squeaks and knocks when going over bumps, it's probably time.

Nice looking car. Is the brown dash trim original? I don't think I have ever seen it with a linen interior.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by fuelie600
I changed shocks and bushings this summer on my 87' with 66K on the clock. It was money well spent. If you hear rattles, squeaks and knocks when going over bumps, it's probably time.

Nice looking car. Is the brown dash trim original? I don't think I have ever seen it with a linen interior.
IMHO this is the best advice you have been given so far. Make damn sure your car's suspension and brakes are in top condition before you ever worry about more power. New bushings all around. Check the torsion bars for wear. New shocks. Bilsteins seem to be the favorite. Replace all the rubber brake lines. Flush the brake fluid. New pads. I know none of these items are sexy, but you will notice the improvement in handling.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Toxic

Garage
1st

First thing I would do is check the fuel lines in the engine bay going to the fuel rails. They are known for leaking/failing and causing FIRE.

A new line is +$500 from mother. A hydraulic line shop can do it for a lot less.
The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollar$.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Nice car, nice combination. I like the yellow and brown, and the brown and white.

I agree with these guys, get to know it before you spend money. The needed outlays will make themselves known. If you start dumping cash into the unneeded repairs, you'll kick yourself when the necessary ones pop up.

It really reminds me of a banana. Which might make a good license plate.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

I would concur with the suspension revamp. New bushings (check the polybronze solution from elephant raching) and new shocks. Torsion bars should be ok...
Brakes also should be ok.. check pads and lines.
Wait on anything else. Do some track time (through PCA, carguys, turnonemotorsports). VIR is close to you, CMP is a little further out.
Carguys have an event planned for the 5th of December at VIR... I'd check it out.
After 3-4 track days you'll know what you need to do to your car.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-12-2005, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Very nice color !

Newbie myself. Started out with brake pads, fresh shocks and tires. Tremendous improvement in ride quality.

Will also be doing the turbo tie rods this weekend.

Welcome and congrats to a great looking car.

Carrera '85
Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Cool

Nice car. In addition to the suspension I would also suggest changing the trans fluid and keep up on the oil changes and filters. I too have an 87, new Bilstein shocks made a big difference. I also added the Steve Wong chip and new SS exhaust and pre-muffler (these chip & exhaust were done 2 yr after I bought car). I believe we have passed in the Jordan Lake area several times. I have a grey cab.
Enjoy, weather is getting nice to go driving.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
IMHO this is the best advice you have been given so far. Make damn sure your car's suspension and brakes are in top condition before you ever worry about more power. New bushings all around. Check the torsion bars for wear. New shocks. Bilsteins seem to be the favorite. Replace all the rubber brake lines. Flush the brake fluid. New pads. I know none of these items are sexy, but you will notice the improvement in handling.
Here's another vote to look at tires, brakes, bushings, suspension, tie rods, and fluids, before looking into a Steve Wong chip, premuffler, and sport muffler.
85 911 Factory Turbo-Look Targa (Gone)
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Anything to do with safety (ie brakes) and handling should come first.

I just had the entire brake system replaced, new tensioner update, turbo tie rods, complete tune up and 4 wheel alignment. IT IS LIKE A WHOLE NEW CAR!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The exterior is Summer Yellow and I believe the interior combo is original- Linen Mahogany was the fancy name.

04 Pilot "The Pilot"
Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Leave the suspension alone. You'll learn better control with a sloppy suspension. Things to do:

Brakes!!!
Replace rubber lines with steel braided
Replace fluid with ATE blue
Cooling ducts
Replace pads with Hawk blues (only for the track)

After your 1st or 2nd DE (or should I say, after your hooked), think about:
A good seat
Harness bar
5 piont harness

Then after the first sesson should you think about mods.
87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 10-12-2005, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
When I bought my 87 I had turbo-tie rods installed, the engine tuned up and an alignment and corner balance. I drive it every day and have nothing but fun.

In the future I plan for a Steve Wong Chip, Pre-muff and high flow muffler.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by armandodiaz
Leave the suspension alone. You'll learn better control with a sloppy suspension.
I do not necessarily agree... especially at the race track. With shot bushings and shocks the car will not give the proper feedback. Did I brake too late? Did I miss the apex? Turned in too early?

I think the better the suspension set up the better.

On the other hand I second everything you said about brakes and cooling and fluid.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
I should explain myself better:

Top of the list:
Don't fix what ain't broken

87 944na - Old Daily Driver, now 944 CUP
03 Chevy Avalanche- Support Vehicle
70 Olds 442 W30 Conv- Gone but not forgotten
http://www.diazracing.com
adiaz@diazracing.com
Old 10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: