Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

oil drip trays

What do you folks use to catch oil drips under leaky vehicles in your garage? I notice in a lot of museums they have large, very shallow metal trays.... like huge cookie sheets. Does anyone sell these? Or do you just have them made at a fabricator? Any other ideas for catching drips? Thanks.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Longhoods Unite!

Send a message via AIM to PhatRedHead Send a message via Yahoo to PhatRedHead
wife's or mom's (my case) cookie sheets!! just don't tell her!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

In my old Army Chinook Helicopter unit they used what looked like giant cookie sheets to catch all the hydraulic fluid those suckers leaked out. Whenever I had a car that leaked oil I flattened out old cardboard boxes and used them. Cardboard can suck up a huge amount of oil. Then just threw them away. At the present time none of my vehicles leak oil, even the British ones!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Any auto parts store will have the big "cookie sheets"
Old 10-11-2005, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

old pizza boxes - their life cycle is:

- carry pizza
- dawg chewie
- oil drip catcher
- refuse

Or you can rebuild an Al engine and put an end to the whole problem.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I second the use of card board boxes. I also lay newer ones down when working under the car - to protect the floor and keep myself a little cleaner. Toss when yucky.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I used to work in a bakery when I was a kid. They had some giant cookie sheets there. Maybe
www.bakerycookiesheets.com or something.
I found some drip pans from an outlet store but the bottoms had ribs and they are a ***** to clean. Find something smooth.
On the other hand having oil drip on the garage floor is something cool and unique to 911 ownership.
1970 911T Coupe, 1979 911SC Targa Euro, 1971 Honda CT70 HK Trail 70 (the ultimate in two wheeled transportation)
Old 10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Cardboard boxes work great. Heavy enough to stay put when a gust of wind hits it and readily available.
The Roach
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Some customers have discovered a secondary use of these. They act like a trough and allow oil to drip from one end or the other - no arbitrary dripping. This allows you to use a less expansive drip container ...... or smaller cardboard.

Our host carries these, btw.

Sherwood
seinesystems.com
Old 10-13-2005, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I have duct taped square cardboard to my garage floor, after vacuuming, of course. the 911 sits in the same spot daily so it keeps the mess from tracking around the garage into the house. I keep a clean piece as well for laying on when working on it. Go to your local TV store and check with them. they should give you a couple of big hunks.

Wayne
Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dantilla
Any auto parts store will have the big "cookie sheets"
I got mine at Parts America and I've seen them at Pep Boys. They are usually around $15.
1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

for that you can buy a pizza and then use the box...

fill it w/kitty litter if you want.

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-13-2005, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I got mine from a resturaunt supply store. They are 2'x3' and they were around $15 each if I remember right. Get as big as you can to cover bigger areas.
1965 Triumph TR4A
1961 Land Rover Series 2 88
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Most local auto parts stores around here sell a carpet like roll-up material. It works, just gets a little stiff from all the heat after the first year or two.

George, Architect
Old 10-13-2005, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: