Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

PMO fuel pump advice

I appear to have a dead fuel pump on my 73 with PMO's(track car, RS spec 2.7 liter), I am going to check voltage to the pump and pull off a fitting to check if flowing but so far it appears to be the pump. The car has a old Bosch MFI fuel pump (580-980-009) to a 2 micron marine fuel filter to a PMO regulator etc. No return lines/dead headed. I searched the archives and found some great threads on systems but wonder what fuel pump the experts would put in this car if they were going to replace. I have a Holley Blue in my track spares

Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

call Richard Parr...

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to slammed1000
the holley blue pump will be more than enough for you car. if you can stand the noise, these are by far the cheapest and best fuel pump for carbed applications. this is what i am running on my current set up....
Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Hey Richard... PMO recommends the Mallory 4110 pump.. I've had good luck with Mallory products in the past... I'm planning to use PMO's on 3.2 short stroke engine ..with a mallory pump, with a return regulator.Dan

82SC with 95 993 engine
2004 Ford Powerstroke
Old 10-11-2005, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

BTW, the Mallory pump can be purchased from Summit Racing for $159.95. Dan

82SC with 95 993 engine
2004 Ford Powerstroke
Old 10-11-2005, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

So far, on my dead head system, I've had good luck with an Airtex pump. They make them in different pressure ranges. I use the 4 psi model; from tank to pressure gauge ends up at 3 psi. No FPR required. KISS.

This is my spare (existing Airtex in car since '98)

Sherwood
Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I am using a Holley Red mounted in the smuggler's box in my RSR Clone.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Noise..is this going to bother me? The car is 90% tracked, once it starts up it is barely muffled so I am thinking noise is relevant? Anybody have this issue in a track car?
What about running aeroquip fittings. I just redid all the fuel lines last year but I see more and more folks moving to aeroquip/Earls AN stuff.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

The noise is a non-issue in a track car, or a loud street car. You can hear it when it switched on, actually kind of reassuring.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Cool

I used this one you can get them at Summit racing. The regulator is 0-14 psi . This is the only way I have seen this regulator sold. As you are using the PMO regulator you could just get the pump. Mines a pure track car and its nice to Hear the pump running so that you know that the gas is going back to the carbs. Of course once the car is started I Never hear the pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=fuel+pumps&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

Brand:
Holley
Product_Line:
Holley Blue Electric Fuel Pumps
Free_Flow_Rate:
110 gph
Maximum_Pressure_(psi):
Inlet_Size:
3/8 in. NPT
Inlet_Quantity:
Single
Inlet_Attachment:
Female threads
Outlet_Size:
3/8 in. NPT
Outlet_Quantity:
Single
Outlet_Attachment:
Female threads
Quantity:
Sold individually.
Notes:
Includes regulator.

Fuel Pump, Electric, Rotor/Vane, Blue Logo, External, Universal, Aluminum/Polished, Regulator Included, Kit
Old 10-12-2005, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Richard -

I'm not clear from your post if you are using a deadhead or return style regulator. You say it runs "from the fuel filter to a PMO regulator etc. No return lines/dead headed" The only PMO regulators I've seen are return-style?? Anyway, I run a 3.0 with 46mm PMOs and FWIW have used both a Carter and now the "recommended" Mallory 4110 and had intermittent problems with both until I changed from a deadhead regulator to a return style. In fact, if you talk to Mallory tech support they will tell you not to run those pumps with a deadhead reg (ask me how I know).

RE: fuel line, I tried the Aeroquip socketless lines and fittings (6AN) and have been happy with them. Easier and faster to work with than typical braided line fittings, the fittings are reusable and, the hose is lighter and not as abrasive as braided and, is less expensive. It's worth a look.
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-12-2005, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Another option is the Bosch rotary pump. Similar style to the MFI but puts out about 4psi at the pump. Mine measures about 3.8 at the carbs when dead head terminated due to line loss. Runs great.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts and suspension setups.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ozz
RE: fuel line, I tried the Aeroquip socketless lines and fittings (6AN) and have been happy with them. Easier and faster to work with than typical braided line fittings, the fittings are reusable and, the hose is lighter and not as abrasive as braided and, is less expensive. It's worth a look.
do you have any pics of those lines/fittings on the car?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

I just installed some braided fuel lines. Refer to this thread.

Sherwood
Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Dave,

I'll try to get a few pictures of the Aeroquip lines tonight and post them here - Gary
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I did check the fuel pump, it is a goner. I have another old Bosch, hooked it up and it runs but sounds ..unreliable. So I will go with the Holley. I notice the Holley says to mount vertically, I was hoping to modify the mount that exists in the 73 (back by the drivers side heater box). Anybody with pictures of one done that way.?
After reading all the threads and talking with Richard Parr at PMO I ordered his regulator and am going to replumb with a return line and -AN fittings
Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Here are some pictures of the Aeroquip socketless fittings and hoses. The fittings look similar to the typical braided line fittings but, to assemble, just cut your hoses to length, lube the barbed end of the fitting, gently clamp the fitting in a vice (or similar) and push the hose on until it bottoms out on the fitting. Quick and easy. The jacket of the hose is abrasion resistant and seems pretty tough and is avialbale in a couple of differnt colors.

74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ozz
Here are some pictures of the Aeroquip socketless fittings and hoses. The fittings look similar to the typical braided line fittings but, to assemble, just cut your hoses to length, lube the barbed end of the fitting, gently clamp the fitting in a vice (or similar) and push the hose on until it bottoms out on the fitting. Quick and easy. The jacket of the hose is abrasion resistant and seems pretty tough and is avialbale in a couple of differnt colors.

Yeah its great stuff I used it for years for oil lines. It has the same strenght as the braided lines with none of the hassle. I never had a problem the hose.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Gary, that's great to hear.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: