Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bilstein Sport Insert For Boge Strut Questions

First question: Is it true that the sport inserts are made for lower ride heights than the HD's? This has been mentioned a few times, but I have not seen any hard evidence.

Second question: At what ride height (ballpark) would the Bilstein Sports start to bottom out on the internal bump stops? Remember, these are for the Boge struts. Only on the shocks for the Bilstein struts can you remove and shorten the bump stops.

I've recently been told that I'm close to bottoming out the shocks on the bump stops, but my front ride height is in the 25 1/4" neighborhood. I've seen lower ride heights posted without this problem. The main problem seems to be bump steer (which I have non of). I do have the spacer kit installed though.

Thanks.

'87 911 Carrera 3.2 Coupe
Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Jack French at Bilstein told me the shock shaft is 1cm shorter on the Sport rears compared to the HD's. Fronts are the same length.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Todd. That seems like some hard evidence.

One down, one to go. If the fronts are the same, then anyone with Bilstein inserts (Sport or HD) on Boge struts can answer the second part: Who has lowered the front of their car enough to hit the internal bump stops and what was that ride height?
I should not be hitting them at 25 1/4", should I? I also have 22mm front torsion bars which should help, no?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have sport and HD inserts for boge, tried sports first and then figured I needed HD's. I messed around for weeks with ride hight font back left right. Indexing the front bars, stock, and test driving after every adjustment. The very first time I set the car down after putting the sports in it was very low, cutting the tire low. But still not bottoming that I could tell, just crappy ride. I had it in the 23, 24 range. today its around 25 with Hd's.
It seems weird someone would tell you you're close to the end at 25.25.
I'm not buying it.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
24.75 with Sports and no problems. Here with 6 & 7 x 16 street wheels. 7 & 9 x 16 track wheels fill out the wheel well considerably. Required rolled lips on both sides. Never have bottomed out. I say go for it.

Andrew
'88 Carrera Cab 3.2 Diamond Blue Metallic - ERP Polybronze Bushings, ERP Monoballs, SW Chip, Bilstein Sports, 930S Steering Wheel, DAS Rollbar, Sparco 5pt Harness, Hunsaker Sport Seats, Dansk Pre-Muffler, MK 1in-1out Exhaust, Magnecor KV8.5 Wires
'86 944NA, Sunroof Delete, Track Rat, Full Cage
'72 914 1.7 Guards Red / '02 Audi S4 Light Silver Metallic
Old 10-11-2005, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I'm running B- sports in Boges' and 24"/24" with a bit of front rake. Not bottoming with 22/30 t bars and carrera sways.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks fellas, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

My regular wrench couldn't do a track tech, so I took it to another local guy. He definitley seems to know his stuff, but this caught me off guard. I just wonder what made him come to this conclusion. I can't imagine there is anything drastically different about my car that would casue this.

Funny part is he said it was actually sitting on the bump stops, which would mean that the front suspension would not compress at all, right? Which is not the case, because if I push the front end up and down, I can get it to squat below static ride height.

Wierd.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: