Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Question Question about the Toyo RA-1 tire

My S0-3's are wearing out and I need new tires. I'm looking for max grip. The car is driven only in dry weather so I could care less about wet weather handling.

I've heard great things about the Toyo RA-1 but want to know if they'll hold up to street driving without wearing out in an absurd amount of time.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My experience is limited to racing them only, we have them shaved to 3/32" and they will last about 10 races(25 min races usually) of HARD driving on a Miata. By then they are corded. They are fastest right before they give up. They are an "R" tire and not intended for street use, but I'd have no problem running them on the street.

The down side would be fully treaded on a dry day, they will heat up fast, get really sticky and pick up gravel like you can't believe. They'll then heat cycle far more times in a day of stop and go short trip driving and cure and get hard. Brian
Old 10-12-2005, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've run them on the track and a little on the street, and I don't see the point if you're not running them on the track. If you are able to use the additional performance that they have over a max performance street tire (e.g. kumho ecsta MX) on the street, you have quite a driving style (that will probably get the attention of the local constables)
Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Perhaps more to the point, the RA-1s have enough grip on the track, at least when hot, not to be a great match for stock (late car) suspension, because it ends up rolling around and such. If you have stock suspension a max performance street tire might even be a better match on the track, and certainly the street.

Don't get me wrong, the RA-1s seem to be an awesome tire, but horses for courses...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i have a buddy (he sometimes post here) he runs them on the street. mostly because he was the total procrastinator, and refused to order street rubbers for his other set of wheels. from what i can tell, he toasted them quickly. but he did do a few AX and maybe 2 track events. but i can quote him (after our last canyon run); "i dont know if i could ever go back to street rubbers, that just doesnt seem safe!"

pm him, (dagness)

me, i would get another set of S03's
Old 10-12-2005, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Running R compound tires on the street are only good if you get them up to operating temperature. I can tell at the track that is takes a good 2-3 laps at maximum speed to get them to stick, and this is only on warm days. I can't see how these would give you much advantage over street tires for most normal driving. I currently run S03's for the street and Toyo's at the track. When I'm lazy, I'll leave the Toyo's on inbetween track weekends and run them on the street. They ride nice, have plenty of tread, and are lasting through 2 years of driving. I just don't push them hard on the street.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I should just stick with the S0-3's then.

As for the Toyo's, I also read that in order to get good performance out of them, you want to run at least 2 degrees of negative front camber, which I don't. I'm at about negative 1.3 or so.

Can any of you guys think of a street tire that has better dry road grip than a S0-3?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I run RA1s on the street with 1.5 back and front...no question they have more stick...heck they are wider tires in the same sizes. than the SO3. The SO3 is what I have ran for the last 3 years and been happy with for the most part.

If you want a dry weather tire (I'm running mine here in Seattle) and have a suspension that can take advantage of the RA1 I would give them a try.

Rather fragile for nails and flats but good tire wear for what they are. Heat cycling doesn't seem to be an issue. Be surprised if they actually heat cycle in normal street driving.

Nothing you can do to your car that will make the handling better than a good set of tires.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by 89911
Running R compound tires on the street are only good if you get them up to operating temperature. I can tell at the track that is takes a good 2-3 laps at maximum speed to get them to stick, and this is only on warm days. I can't see how these would give you much advantage over street tires for most normal driving. I currently run S03's for the street and Toyo's at the track. When I'm lazy, I'll leave the Toyo's on inbetween track weekends and run them on the street. They ride nice, have plenty of tread, and are lasting through 2 years of driving. I just don't push them hard on the street.
Ordinarily I'd agree with you whole-heartedly. But I've been running the RA-1's on my daily driver, and they stick like glue from the get-go. They ride really nicely, and last a long time. They actually seem to grip better as they wear.

Their only downside is the ultra-squishy sidewall. They flex so much, that you'd think something was loose in the suspension. They take a good number of heat cycles to be firm. Took me 2 track days before they felt stable. I didn't have them shaved though, so they would likely feel much better after 1 track day if shaved.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

which is your daily driver, Tyson, the '92? does it have stock suspension? just curious.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to smstcoach Send a message via Yahoo to smstcoach
I ran my RA1's on the street for a few months during the spring and summer while waiting for set of street wheels. They were shaved to 4/32. Some observations:
-They stick better than street tires at any operating temperature including pulling out of the driveway.
-I got about 3000 street miles and 6 DE days before I corded the rears. Fronts are still looking good.
-They tend to be a little darty on the freeway.
-In spite of the street use, they still got better and better at the track until toast. That would lead me to believe that they just don't get warm enough to heat cycle on the street.
-I got a fix-it ticket for "bald tires"

If my street wheels (ruf 17 x 7's and 9's) were the same size as my track wheels (fuch's 16 x 7's and 9's), I would buy a set for the street and when they wore down enough to be fast at the track, I would transfer them to my track wheels.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by KobaltBlau
which is your daily driver, Tyson, the '92? does it have stock suspension? just curious.
Right now it's my '69. I'm running 225/50/16's on 7's front and rear.

I agree with what smstcoach posted.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: