Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Piece meal upgrades?

So I've been thinking about all the work that needs to be done on my 930 turbo. My goal is to upgrade the suspension first and then move to the engine power. The problem is total cost ( Of course. Call it the wife factor ). How about piece mealing it? Maybe do a little at a time. In what order to approach it?
Ultimately I do want to upgrade the torsion bars, sway bars, shocks and bushings. Is it feasible? Or should I start a cookie jar savings and then do it all at once? Help me guys my fever to do something more to my p-car is nearly unbearable.

2004 BMW M3
2007 Range Rover Sport
Old 10-12-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

Wife factor - I know it well...

Okay, probably what you first need to do is define what relationship you want with your 930. Always consider that these cars, turbo or not, are incredibly capable automobiles, and in many cases, might already exceed the driving capacity of many enthusiasts.

1) If I were back in the position of new ownership of a 911, with the understanding of what I want from the car, I would first take it to the track and see what I can and cannot do with the car.

2) With my abilities (and the car's abilities) defined, if I wanted to initiate any modifications, I would first have all parts that can wear, checked - such as bushings, for example. I'd also have the car aligned and corner balanced.

3) I'd begin to lighten the car. Take out all the stuff you won't use on a continual basis, like a/c, rear seats, the spare, for example, to lighten the car.

4) Then more track work/more driving.

What essentially is the strongest street legal race car ever produced defines the 911 in all their variants. I'm of the solid belief that these cars need an extremely small amount of modifications for all but the most serious types of competition. Unless you stumble upon an incredible deal for some very nice modification parts, I would avoid doing so altogether because, as with hopping up any car, one thing will lead to another with the 911/930, and before you know so, you've plugged thousands and thousands into a car that may have never initially needed the effort.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: