Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

so how bad do 84 - 88 Porsches rust

I've just recently bought an '86 Carrera. I checked Carfax and it came up all ok's. I had it PPI'ed too. But I think it is here where I think it went wrong. Not that getting the PPI was wrong, but the who did the PPI is what I am beginning to question. They did a compression check and it came up 160 even all around. That was good. The engine doesn't leak and doesn't smoke. Its the body Im concerned about.

My question is how much rust is typical on an 86 Carrera. The car has been repainted, but it is only a "C" job in my opionion and I am concerned b/c I don't know If what I am seeing is a paint job covering rust or not.

Let me tell you what I know. If I look in the wheel arches there doesn't seem to be any rust. The bottom of the door is smooth and no bubbles. The edge of the door and along the bottom of the leading edge isn't smooth, kinda like a bad touch up job on the leading edge. There are a few spots on this leading edge where the paint has come of, like a nick, and I can see metal, but no rust. I look in the weep holes in the door their is no rust. Pulled the carpet back and no rust. Openned the door and looked toward the front fenders, flat red paint (my car is guards red) and no bubbles or rust. If I feel on top of the fender lip in the wheel arches with the textured surface their is no rust just a litter dirty. The textured fended edge texture is all there, it has come off in some spots (rock chips?) and I can see metal but no rust. On verious parts of the car there seems to be areas of touch up paint - I dont know if its covering up rust coming through or if the car go nicked and just touched up. I pull back various pieces of trim and cant find any rust, except for the very leading edge where the door seal tucks under the piece fo metal at the sill. Like I said the car has been repainted as evident with the overspray on all 4 wheel arches. However the left side of the car the paint seem a little oxidized. How long does this take to happen? One area that has definately rusted is the engine tin, but no rust where the tin meets the body. However, none of the oil line bracks, fittings, or accerories have rust. Behind front left headlight there is no rust. Behind the right front headlight the very edge of metal (the lip that is covered up by the trim ring has a little surface rust (seal was getting old and split when I took it off) and the srew mounting bracket at the bottom is rusty, though not al the way though. The back bumper gurads - forget about them, they are totally cruncny, though the cars acutal bumper is good and the paint is intack and shows no rust.

Im thinking of taking it to a body shop to have an evaluation done to it (though too late - already bought it.)

On the plus side the car drives strong and has had a rebuilt tranny and a/c system doesn't rattle when it goes over bumps. Though there is this on anoying squeek I need to find.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Am I over reacting, is this normal for an '86. I don't live in an area to get good comparisons. I thought getting the PPI would have told me this stuff but I guess you live and learn!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Will program for food

Garage
Pics would help... Then the knowledgeable foks can chime in.
98 Jeep Cherokee
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well the Carreras are galvonized, but that won't stop rust entirely. How old is the paint job? It sounds like this car may have sat outside a bit more than most, and maybe the paint got faded enough to where a PO thought a quickie paintjob would be a good idea. If there's rust, it WILL eventually come through. But that usually happens pretty quickly, so if it's an older paint job, I'd say you're pretty much ok.

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Appears that you have an '86 Carrera with a decent body on it.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanks for the quick replys, Ill try to get some pics as soon as I can. You've releived a bit of the anxiety for me
Old 10-12-2005, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Generally speaking, your car is very resistant to rust. Everything you've described sounds good.

One area you didn't mention is the front suspension pan underneath the battery. If that battery spills due to a crack or an overcharge, the acid will get down underneath the battery tray and settle into the front pan / tank support area. If it wasn't caught (mine wasn't) the metal will rust under there, necessitating a pan repair or replacement.

I had to have my pan and tank support replaced because of this, so my advice would be to take that huge battery out and look down in there. Any sign of rust needs to be dealt with pronto.
1984 911 Carrera Cab
2007 Cayman
Old 10-12-2005, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have a spot on my '88 that suprised me, but apparently isnt all that uncommon.

Pull the rocker panel covers off and take a looksee. If you reach forward from the rear wheelwells, theres a spot there that can collect a lot of debris. mine appeared to dam up moisture pretty good and a spot rusted through.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

redcoupe86, I didn't read anything where you actually found rust on the body itself. Am I missing something?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 450knotOffice
Generally speaking, your car is very resistant to rust. Everything you've described sounds good.

One area you didn't mention is the front suspension pan underneath the battery. If that battery spills due to a crack or an overcharge, the acid will get down underneath the battery tray and settle into the front pan / tank support area. If it wasn't caught (mine wasn't) the metal will rust under there, necessitating a pan repair or replacement.

I had to have my pan and tank support replaced because of this, so my advice would be to take that huge battery out and look down in there. Any sign of rust needs to be dealt with pronto.
I didn't specifically look there, but I looked around the battery area and didn't see any signs of rust, just looked like the rest of the trunk. I take a look though. Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by KobaltBlau
redcoupe86, I didn't read anything where you actually found rust on the body itself. Am I missing something?
No, your not missing anything. My concern was if the repaint was covering up some rust I couldn't see or visually inspect or feel.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The rust you hear about so often on these boards is from 911's that were not galvanized. Porsche started partly ( not all body pieces ) galvanizing there cars around 1976. The body on your car is fully galvanized. While these later cars can still rust this is not a problem area like with the earlier cars.
Now the Motor sheet metal and everything else that was not galvanized can rust. Cars that are located in harsh climates where snow and salt is used are more prone to rust.

You probably just have the new owner jitters
Old 10-12-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

probably not. My '81 was repainted with a very quality job and I don't believe there is any hidden bodywork or corrosion. These cars are just old enough to have tired paint. Sure, there can be surprises, but SCs and Carrera 3.2s should not rust notably unless there is an accident.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob's Flat-Six

You probably just have the new owner jitters [/B]
I think your right. I thought I checked the car out good. Went and saw it twice (it was 3.5 hours away) and had the PPI done to it. But it seem that you can never see everything I guess and every little imperfection afterwards getts me "jittery" as you say. I just have to keep telling myself that its a project car and its not suppose to be perfect. It is 20 years old!!

Thanks alot you guys, I have no one hear to help me out with Porsches - you guys are great!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I think the most common spot for rust on 911s (up through 993s I believe) is at the bottom corners of the windshield. Water can get in the seal and pool up in those corners, eventually causing rust. If the windshield seal wasn't installed correctly or is old this can happen. I caught it on my car early and repaired it.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a 80 Sc. You want to see some rust?

Front left bumper support bracket rusted out. Cut it out and removed.

Front left shock tower area were the fill tube for the windshield washer is clamped and retains crap. cut it out and replaced.

Drivers side door jamb up toward the top buy side window rotted.
Need to cut out and replace.

Same on the other side, only behind the strike plate.

Kidney area on pass side rocker.......

Given the right conditions and these cars can rot just like the rest.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Galvanizing does a nice job of inhibiting rust but it seems that many 911s up to the 993s still develop rust when they live in a humid/wet climate. Also, if the car was ever located in a coastal town where the air is salty, rust will be more likely.

I recently spoke to John Paterek, a very well respected Porsche restroation guy in NJ, regarding rust and he pointed a few things out to me. The windshield area, the doors, inside the fuel filler compartment, and at the bottom of the rear window (on 993s I'm told) are places to look.

Carefully lift up the rubber windshield seal and look all around it for rust. Apparently it's common for the paint (and zinc coating) to be scratched during installation of the windshield at the factory.

When you open the door, look down at the rubber/plasting molding that runs along the inside of the body, where the bottom of the door would sit when closed. Peel back (carefully) the rubber and you may find rust under this molding.

Rust may form under the aluminum molding that runs along the top of the door, on the outside. This piece can be pretty easily removed by putting a flat, blunt object (like a butter knife) under the end of the molding and prying it up. The little clips in this molding scratch the paint when they're installed which removes the anti-rust coating around the holes.

People always talk about how important it is to get a PPI and have your leakdown test done. I think it's equally important to have the car taken to a body shop in addition to a mechanic. You often read "and it's galvantized so you don't have to worry about rust". That may be true in some climates but not in places where it's wet and the car in question is 20+ years old.

Time and Relative Dimension(s) in Space
Old 10-12-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
How bad do they rust? Pretty badly!!!!

Easy repair though.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron.G

Given the right conditions and these cars can rot just like the rest.
No question about it.
The galvanization is just another barrier under the paint. Once the rust gets started for whatever reason, It's started.
I think Porsche gave a ten year rust warranty starting about 1978. They knew it had limitations.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

RedCoupe86,

I have a dark blue 86 coupe, and recently had a little work done as detailed in previous posts. Nothing too bad, and easily caught in time before it could get hold.

Windscreen was replaced due to a crack, and at the time they simply 'cleaned up' the surrounding metal that had started to 'brown' a little due to the original seal beginning to let moisture in.

The left sill area had a small amount of surface bubbling which was patched - kidney bowls (i.e. forward of the rear fender well) were OK.

Front o/s headlamp bowl had stone chip that had started to rust so easily repaired.

Have a good look in the usual places (or buy Peter Morgans excellent Carrera Buying Guide) but it sounds like you have a good rust free example.

1992 964 C2 Manual with RS Suspension etc.
1973 911T Narrow body Hot Rod with 2.7 Carrera engine and loads of period modsl - SOLD
1986 Carrera Coupe Sport with Stainless Silencer and SW Chip (256 fwbhp) - SOLD
Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I may have missed whether this is a coupe, but if it is, and it has a sunroof, blow out the sunroof drain tubes that terminate at nipples inside the two little holes directly above the rear engine lid.

Also, pull back the rubber atop the door jamb, between the body and the quarter window. Don't be alarmed, but there will probably be at least some rust there.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: