Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Limbo

Garage
Mounting seats to the floor?

Hi everyone,

I bought a nice set of after market seats and after installing them I realized I can't put my helmet on (seats set to high)!?!?

How safe is it to mount the seats to the floor and what is a good method for doing so? Any suggestions and pics are welcome....

Thanks

Old 10-12-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm also wondering how safe it would be to mount seats directly to the floor.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
i would think its ok if you were to put some sort of plate/cleat/anchor on the bottom side of the car. kinda sandwich the floor between the plate and your mounting hardware.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

yes, you could use backing plates.

I've also seen people cut the rails off and reweld them on the sides lower.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

I have my Recaro seats mounted directly to the floor.

I am confused by your set-up. How would you mount the seats to the sliders?
Don't you need side mounts brackers like these

What make seats did you get?

These are mine bolted directly to the steel rails on the floor (I had to drill extra holes to get the right distance).

PS
This is an old picture and the side mounts were mounted back to front in this pic.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
911teo,

I currently have the seats mounted to the factory rails, they set to tall in this fashion. My thinking was to mount the sliders directly to the floor.

I even thought of using some 1 1/4" x 1/8" steel strap and mounting the seats to the strap and then mounting the strap to the floor with some large washers or plate on the bottom side of the floor to sandwich them together?

The seats are an SRD clone...
Old 10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Friends of Warren

Sorry... I automatically thought u had shells....

If I remember correclty the factory rails are bolted to the floor with 4 nuts and 4 gold plates. I don't see why there would be a safety issue by mounting the seat directly to the floor rails (by this I mean those 2 hollow rails that come up 1.5 inches off the floor. Inside these there should be the strap for the floormats plus possibly the wwires for the electric seats). You might have to cut some holes in the floor rails but apart from that it should be ok.

You should be able to gain 1.5 inches of clearence.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-12-2005, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What's that on the left, Jeff?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
Andy,

MUHAHAhahaha.....

That is a little piece that I got from Alan Fritze, I also have 993 exchangers that have rotated flanges and a large port CIS airbox without a pop valve. I have a new design oil pump that bolts to the drivers side rear of the motor and runs off the cam (ala 930 oil pump) to scavenge the oil from the turbo...... This new pump is perfect for the newer bigger turbos that everyone is installing and can be adapted to none turbo (3, 3.2, 3.6) motors for oil scavenging.... thus no gravity drain issues.

I am up in the air as to whether or not to continue with the project because we track our car more than anything else and I don't want to kill my motor with boost and heat....
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I made my own brackets for both sides. I posted a thread on it some time back. Here's a photo. These bolt to the factory location, but I dropped the rear of the seat down to the floor to lower CG and offer more room for the helmet.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure these are 1 1/4" wide like you suggested by 1/8".
Driver's seat is actually a bit higher than the passenger and I rotated it a bit towards the pedals for optimal seating position.
Use the old bracket as a template for the holes.

Doug
Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I made my own out of aluminum and mounted them to the floor. I used large seat belt mounting washers underneath the car.

2001 Xterra
1997 Jeep Wrangler "The Tick"
Old 10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

Doug

I think the problem here is that the seat already has mounting points on the bottom, as opposed to a racing shell that needs side brakets.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider79SC
have a new design oil pump that bolts to the drivers side rear of the motor and runs off the cam (ala 930 oil pump) to scavenge the oil from the turbo...... This new pump is perfect for the newer bigger turbos that everyone is installing and can be adapted to none turbo (3, 3.2, 3.6) motors for oil scavenging.... thus no gravity drain issues.

I am up in the air as to whether or not to continue with the project because we track our car more than anything else and I don't want to kill my motor with boost and heat....
Is the oil scavenge pump from a Turbo 3.6? if not, who makes it?

If you are careful you won't kill your motor, but it might take a year to get it running just right, not sure if that is worth it to you. I'd love to help
Old 10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911teo
Doug

I think the problem here is that the seat already has mounting points on the bottom, as opposed to a racing shell that needs side brakets.
Teo,
Got it! Maybe making adaptor plates from flat 1/8" stock is a good idea? I like the idea of using the stock mounting points. Why drill additional holes in your car if you don't need to?

Doug
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
It is a brand new pump that was designed and built by a friend of mine that is in the business of converting NA Porsche motors to Turbo.

I can get details of the pump and price points from him. I will of course ask Wayne before I post any info on where and for how much that these can be obtained for. They are very very nice and will fill a void for the guys that are upgrading turbos or converting their NA motors.

Any help would be great because this is new territory for me.....
Old 10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
Doug and Teo,

I would love to use the factory mounts in some way but after taking measurements of the seats, the base is too wide to fit in-between the factory rails. So I think my factory mounting rails will need to be removed and I will have to either fabricate new mounts or bolt them to the floor. I thought about bolting them in first to see how they worked and then if I liked it I could weld them in properly and undercoat it with some Wurth.

Last edited by Slider79SC; 10-12-2005 at 02:20 PM..
Old 10-12-2005, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hey are those the " trendgear " seats from Ebay ?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 10-12-2005, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Limbo

Garage
Todd,

These are made by Yonaka MotorSports, they are the Ronins in leather. Pretty decent for $600 a pair.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider79SC
Doug and Teo,

I would love to use the factory mounts in some way but after taking measurements of the seats, the base is too wide to fit in-between the factory rails. So I think my factory mounting rails will need to be removed and I will have to either fabricate new mounts or bolt them to the floor. I thought about bolting them in first to see how they worked and then if I liked it I could weld them in properly and undercoat it with some Wurth.
Can you remove the seat mount / slider mechanism from the seat itself and fabricate somethign new from there? Or narrow the mechanism? Does it need to slide? Obviously, I gave up the sliding feature to do mine the way I did. Seems a shame to waste what Porsche did and put more holes in your tub.

Maybe you could take a photo of the underside of the seat?

Doug

Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: