Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Winter Operating Temp, 85 911, 3.2?

Haven't driven my porsche through the winter months yet. I am already noticing lower operating temps. I usually warm the car up until it is steady at about the 2nd mark before running it hard. I found this information in a previous thread:

"Assuming you have the stock 3.2L gauge the bottom of the gauge is 60 deg C (approx 150 F), the next mark is 90 C (approx 195 F), the third and final white mark is 120 C (250 F), and the final, red mark is 150C (300 F). A normal temp for your car to run (in normal weather) will be between the first white mark up from the bottom 195 F and the 9 o'clock mark."

Anybody have any additional input? How long do cold weather folks usually drive around to warm up their p-cars?

-Matt

1985 Targa
Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Well, being from Sweden and trying to blow out the cob web as often the weather admits, my Carrera gets it fair share of cold winter driving.

During summer the needle sticks to the point right next to and under the first thin white line (90 C.) That takes usually about 10 - 15 minutes.

During winter it seldom reaches that level. More like 3/4 of the distance between lower thick white and first thin line. And it takes more like 20 - 30 minutes to reach that temp.

Carrera '85
Old 10-12-2005, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

In winter it is rare for my 3.2 to even get past 150 F unless it sits around idling for a long time.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
another round please

In cold weather, my 86 3.2 does not get to the first red mark., just a little below. I dont mind, 'cause it runs just fine.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Wider is Better

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by strupgolf
In cold weather, my 86 3.2 does not get to the first red mark., just a little below. I dont mind, 'cause it runs just fine.
My '87 acts exactly as strupgolf's. In the winter I follow the advice in the owner's manual and drive for 15-20 minutes before exceeding 4500 rpm or giving it WOT.

Old 10-13-2005, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: