Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil Pressure

This is the first time I have used the Forum, so please excuse any mistakes.

My engine has just been pretty much completely rebuilt (911T 1973 CIS US spec). This included a complete strip-down, new pistons and liners, bearings and seals and top end overhaul. The oil used is Penzoil 20-50. My worry is the low oil pressure and irregularity of the oil level guage. Upon starting the pressure is about 75 and the oil level is 0. Within about a minute the pressure drops considerably. The engine struggles to warm up above 185. By this time the oil level guage is full but the oil pressure is all but 0 at idle and just below 60 at about 3,000 revs. The pressure also drops quickly as the revs drop. If anyone could tell me if I have a problem, I would appreciate it.

Another mystery is a quiet clicking sound from the dashboard, enough to be irritationg. It's as if the hand brake warning light is still flashing or the indicators are still on (the indicator mechanism may be on its last legs as doesn't really click in place when turning in one direction). Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Sean Briggs

1973 911T CIS
1973 Ferrari 246 GT
1964 Lotus 7 Series II Cosworth 1500
2005 Audi A4 Avant Quattro
Old 10-12-2005, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
Hi there Sean, and welcome to the Pelican family...

Your description of the oil level and pressure levels are correct to the user manual, and how it should all work - do some searches here and you will find lots of info on this
But I am sure that some of the longer running members will give you some more detailed answers then another new member like me can

BTW, it is customary to post some pics of your car as a new member
Old 10-12-2005, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

first, welcome. second, if your car never gets above 185F you should be happy. also, the oil level guage, if working properly, will not read true untill the car is up to opperating temperature. your situation sounds normal to me and i would not be concerned - i would love it. i went through a lot of b.s. to get my car to stay 180 or below in the heat.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Welcome to yet another European Pelican !!

From what you describe about the oil pressure and level, I concur - sounds normal.

Carrera '85
Old 10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Guys
Thank you very much. Photos shall follow shortly.

1973 911T CIS
1973 Ferrari 246 GT
Old 10-12-2005, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sean,

First things first, at OIL Change please for God's Sake get that Penzoil crap out of your engine Castrol 20/50 is the way to go !!!

Second, the oil pressure issues that you are talking about are fine, that is how these cars work. Always check your oil level manually and never trust the gauge. Remember only when the car is at running temperature.

Thirdly, I think that annoying ticking noise is your clock, mine does the same dang thing. So, see if you can narrow that noise down to the clock. Mine does it every minute, it is like a hollow click noise???

Forthly, if that is a word...........we need pictures of your new Porsche!!!

Good luck,
Rodney Nelson - '72 911T (Undergoing Full Resto), '82 SC (Grand Prix White) Sold, '86 951 (Guards Red) Caught Fire, '71 911T (Tangerine) Sold, '72 911E (Grand Prix White) Sold, '86 951 (Black) Sold, '79 SC (Grand Prix White) Sold, '71 911T (Irish Green) Sold
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd agree with the Penzoil comment. Get that stuff out of there. In my engines, I found it left WAY too much crud in the engine. I think it has a lot of parafin in it. Castrol is good. So is Valvoline and Kendall.

My CIS mileage counter ticked, but I don't think your car has one.

Oil pressure at idle is largely immaterial. Once warmed up, your engine should make roughly one bar of pressure (about 15 psi) for every one thousand rpm's. Sounds like your engine does that.

Always check oil level manually, with the engine running, on a level surface, with the engine warmed up (that is, after at least 20 minutes of driving).
Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rodney and Superman
Thank you for your comments. Good news about the Castrol, I understand it is much cheaper that the Penzoil here in Poland and easier to source. I shall change it next week, no point in waiting.

I now feel like a plonker, the clock has not moved since the car has been back on the road (it was previously) so it is probably stuck! I assumed it was fuse and had it on the list to check.

Do have electronic pictures of the Porsche, need to speak to management to deal with this as I am hopeless with computers! Thanks again.

1973 911T CIS
1973 Ferrari 246 GT
Old 10-13-2005, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: