Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

What year did the external cooler start in the 911

The reason I ask is that my 77 Carrera 3.0 has one put there is no place on the top of the headlamp casing to attach to the cooler. The cooler is ponly connected to the car at the bottom by one bolt that goes through the body into the cargo area. The cooler does has a connector type thing on it but again, there is no place to attach it to. The headlight casing looks like it has the original rust proofing on it and there are no holes taht would indicate that a bolt once went through.

Anyways, I am a bit concerned that the cooler is not adequately supported though it feels quite snug with that one bolt and the hoses attached to it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Old 10-12-2005, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The designed support should be okay for a '77 "trombone" cooler. Maybe not adequate if you're upgrading to a radiator style cooler. If by "external" you mean in the right front fender? Technically, the cooler closest to the engine is also "exterior". I believe on street cars, the front mounted cooler began with the radiator type cooler installed in the front fender of the 1969 911S. I don't have a clue about the race cars, but I'm sure it was much earlier than that...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

David,

The coolers have been in the RF fender since í67 (911R). They never are firmly bolted down but rubber mounted or with tabs that allow the cooler to flex and not get damaged from road vibration. I donít think they ever have been supported by the headlight/fender/bumper other than a single rubber mount tab.

The current best Factory cooler system seems to be from a í89 Carrera with a thermostat/manual controlled fan. There are also some wonderful aftermarket systems.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-12-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think mine is the radiator type, I know it is not a trombone. Maybe I can drill a hole for it?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Then, I'd suggest looking at the various radiator style coolers, and how they were/are mounted. Not trying to be nasty here. It's just that I don't have a digital camera, and if I did I wouldn't know how to use it and post pics...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks. It has been like this since I ahve owned the car (4 years). I will look at again over the winter.

Thanks,

David

Old 10-12-2005, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: