Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How to start an engine out of car?

I need to know how to start an engine on a test bench. Trans is hooked up including starter, fuel etc. I can work out the starter motor side of things, getting the engine to turn over, but how does one induce a spark. I assume getting power to the coil????

66 912 coupe
Old 10-12-2005, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

not sure I understand this... you just do what you'd do in the car - run 12 VDC to the ignition system

It's just like an engine dyno setup w/no dyno....

Do you not have the ignition system?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Make sure it is secure - clamped down somehow-, use a well charged battery and it will run (have enough electrical power)for a lengthy time
Old 10-13-2005, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
I watched someone do this long ago.
He had the engine (V8) on an ordinary engine stand.
When the engine started, it flipped over and almost killed 3 people that were standing too close.
The monster would not stop, was upside down for a long time still running (fuel injection) and if not for the serious part, would have been funny.
I cannot stress the importance of bolting it down FIRMLY enough!!!
Think about it...the torque...perhaps 150 - 200 lbs, is going to twist that engine.
Whatever the engine is bolted to must be bolted to the floor able to withstand at least 500 lbs of torque to be safe.
Havs a fun time...
Bob
Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
For every action there's an opposite but equal reaction.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used User

I would think getting fuel to the motor would be the toughest problem. You need the fuel pump from the car, i.e., FI or carbs.

Porsche engines sitting on HEs should be OK to run briefly. Strapped to a large, sturdy pallet would be helpful. A V8 is top heavy to begin with, so I'm not a bit surprised that turned into a goat rope.

As always, keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

That's what I was going to say. When you bench test a starter (which is a 1-2 hp motor), you do it on the FLOOR with your foot holding the motor down. With an engine, the torque is going to be violent to say the least.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Uh, what about the oil tank and getting oil to the engine? I would think that part is every bit as important to the task as fuel/spark or securing down the engine.

Isn't it bad to attempt a cranking compression test without an oil supply?
Old 10-13-2005, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

how about NO
Old 10-13-2005, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Platinum Member

I think the answer depends on the particular engine, and why?

I once ran a carburated v8 by just supplying gas (gravity feed) and 12 volts to the starter and ignition.

A Dry-sump engine such as an early 911 would need an oiling system in place also. A later 3.2 or 3.6 would need computer, wiring harness, etc. and would probably not be worth the trouble. It may be easier to just spend the few hours necessary to bolt it into a car.

Why would you want to do this? If you are purchasing an engine out of the car, more information about its condition could be had by testing. I would do a compression & leakdown test, pull the valve covers, and look at the drainplug etc.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
You should also be a little concerned about venting exhaust gas. Just like a car, don't run it in an enclosed space.

As an aside, I saw the impressive engine dyno room at S-Car-go Racing. In the middle of the control panel is a huge red kill button. The label under the huge red kill button says, "Oh Sh*it!"
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

engine

Hello
we do it with a 912 engine !
this is the set up of Starting .
Ray
1971 914 barn find !
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Cool looking instrument panel you got there.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Crusty Conservative

Garage
I think this is from Wayne's files...

69 911 T Targa, 2.4E w/carbs (1985-2001)
70 911 S Coupe, 2nd owner (1989- 2015)
73 911 T Targa, 3.2 Motronic (2001- )
Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: