Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any good ways to bend oil lines?

It's always something... I need to modify a '74 cross under oil line for clearance issues. I tried wailing on it with a vice and mallet, but found that really didn't work. Part of the problem is that the pipe is curved. The pipe is 7/8" in diameter.

Any suggestions for how to do this cleanly, and economically? I've started to look at electrical conduit benders, but they don't work with 7/8" tubing. Also I'd like to get a smaller radius, I think around 4". It would be great to find a solution that would allow making custom oil lines.

I do have access to a press, which might help, if there are jigs that could be used to produce different radius bends in odd shaped pipes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Juan

SM #34, '04 GT3, '73 911s, '70 911 2.7L PRC Toyo Spec #11
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Designer King

This is just a wild stab at it, but why not try something flexible inside the pipe and just a little smaller diameter, like a hose or a spring. Theoretically, this should prevent the pipe from crimping during the bending process. Then you could bend the pipe over a form of the desired diameter.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 10-13-2005, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Heat is your friend, too. Some pack the inside with Sand.
Let us know how it works out.
Doug
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

"I tried wailing on it with a vice and mallet, but found that really didn't work. Part of the problem is that the pipe is curved. The pipe is 7/8" in diameter."

Juan,
Errrr. How does it look after the beating? Does its appearance after recurving matter?

There might be other alternatives such as a partial path using flex hose which might save you some aggravation. A rigid line can only bend so far. Hose allows easier matchup with the next oil fitting. Take relative movement/vibration into consideration as a rigid tube connected between moving parts isn't recommended.

Doug's suggestion of sand might be something you can explore. Cap both ends so the sand prevents tube collapse, then you can try a plumbers helper to nudge it into the shape you require. A 4" radius, however, is pretty tight. BTW, the minimum bend radius for 7/8" (~AN16) flex hose is around 9-10".

Hope this helps,
Sherwood

Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: