Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1985 Carrera Coupe

Garage
Is original Carrera 3.0 whale tail lid metal or metal & fiberglass?

This one is is mostly fiberglass (on a 1977) but I think that I've heard that the originals are metal. Is this the original or an aftermarket?

Art

Old 10-13-2005, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
There were different rear spoilers
* all f/g w/ a p/u lip bolted on

* stock metal w/ a p/u spoiler piece bolted on
Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Bill,

Off topic question; are those euro bumperettes on your rear bumper? Do they have the license plate lights?

Thanks for the help,
-Scott
Old 10-13-2005, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
are those euro bumperettes on your rear bumper? Do they have the license plate lights?
No

this is a pic of the stock C3 rear bumper w/ the stock small ROW pads, the stock licence plate lights have been removed from the holes visible in the pad sides.

The ones on the f/g bumper were some salvage yard lights from an older Datsun or Toyota econbox of some sort.

another option is BMW 2002 plate lights, I think TRE has them
Old 10-13-2005, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Ahh...thanks Bill. I didn't think those were Euro bumper pads.

I removed the US-spec bumper pads on my SC rear bumper. I guess I need to go visit the salvage yard in search of something similar.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Art;

The one you show in the photo looks original, as far as I can tell from your photo. They were fiberglass on top, bonded to a steel frame. The rear window wiper motor and linkage is also correct for a 1977. If you like, I can shoot a photo of one of mine to compare it with.

JR
Old 10-13-2005, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

1985 Carrera Coupe

Garage
Bill,

Thanks for the pictures. What is "p/u"? Polyurethane?

Art
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
1985 Carrera Coupe

Garage
JR,

Thanks for the post. Pictures would be very helpful.

Art
Old 10-13-2005, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

fiberglass

Mine looked like the green one, I thought it was aftermarket so I gave it away. Later I found out it was stock for 76 Carrera. I am still kicking myself. aircool
Old 10-13-2005, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Is this the original or an aftermarket?
It does look original, there were 3 different lids, not counting the p/u on steel version) incorporating the whale tail. 1 was for A/C equipped cars and had a separate grill for the A/C condenser air flow. The other 2 versions were like the white one and your green, one used a steel base the other was all f/g.

I'm not sure but I think that the steel base version may only have been used for rear wiper equipped cars. But like MANY Porsche things there are all sorts of exceptions

all 3 versions used the same separate p/u lip

yes, p/u is polyurethane
Old 10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

On my "original" 77 Euro 3.0 Carrera the factory tail is a metal frame & lid with a fiberglass tail bonded to it. The outer black edge is a removable rubber piece. I hope this answers your question.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Oly,

I finally was able to shoot a couple of pictures of an original 911 whaletail. This should be part number 911 512 010 07 and is on a 1977 Carrera 3.0. The second shot shows you the two types of fiberglass used in its construction. I only see one small difference with your picture of the green car.

For what it's worth,

JR

Old 10-15-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

1985 Carrera Coupe

Garage
Thanks for the posts and pictures everyone!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
1985 Carrera Coupe

Garage
javadog,

Thanks for the pictures. I think that the green one is OEM but it has at least two differences from yours:
1. window wiper power wiring routing
2. yours has black bumpers on the lid toward the back end

The green car had a repaint so maybe the painters lost the bumpers and forgot how the wiring was routed.

Art

Old 10-15-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: