Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Car Bra fit - stupid question of the morning

I feel like a dumba$$. I'm embarassed to ask, but I've been scratching my head over this for a little while. This bra was on my car when I bought it a month or so ago. I took it off because I think it looks cooler w/out. . . a few good rock chips later, I'm trying to get it back on and am realizing I should have paid more attention to how it fit. It's one piece - you must take it off to open the trunk. What the heck?

Tom

Old 10-13-2005, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
MMMM...Porsche cleavage.

1984 911 coupe
Old 10-13-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
A good bra usually has 2 pieces; one fits right over the hood.
This may be a cheaper aftermarket one-piece-thing.
Keep in mind that, if you have a front oil cooler, the bra will prevent the cooler from doing it's job.
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I still run a colgan custom one piece...because they work best on the early (pre 1974) cars...
Old 10-13-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Tom,

Actually, you CAN open your "hood" without removing the Colgan Bra.

1. Unclip the top two clips, and let them "retract" with the built-in bungee. Leave all the other hooks in place - do not touh them.

2. Fold the top of the bra forward and down, using both hands, so that they clear the headlights, and the Bra rests on the bumper.

3. Then, grab the hood with one hand, and pull it up, while moving the Bra out of the way of the hood as it rises.

4. Voila, your trunk is accessible, your Bra is still in place, and when you go to close the hood and replace the top two bungeed hooks, you're back in business.

It takes far less time to do this than it does to write this.

By the way, have you noticed how the aerodynamics pushes the Bra down onto the hood, at speed, creating more cleavage? That Bra ain't going nowhere at speed!!!!!!
2002 Audi TT Roadster (Wifey's Car)
1992 Mazda Miata (Daughter's Car)
1991 Honda VFR750F Interceptor
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre
Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I've got it stretched on and it's snug - the holes line up w/the lights and license plate. My question is about the gap btwn the hood and the bra - is that really supposed to be that way? Maybe I'm in for a new 2-piece.
Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

cycling has-been

yes
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

You will find that after awhile the "bra will change the paint under it in hot sun.........I will take the chips.BTDT....there are also clear plastic things you can put on (cling on?) don't know the name of it ,,but you can not tell it is there .......almost

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Just say no to bras on Porsches. My SC has a horror story due to one and I can't tell you how many others I have heard about.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

We'll I'll be! I just assumed that the bra should fit tight - I know what you're all thinking, but I'm not going there least I get smacked upside the head by my wife! I think it looks a little hokey strung up between the headlights like that - maybe rock chips aren't such a bad trade-off after all - I'm due for some new paint in the next 5-10 years anyway.

Thanks for enlightening me this morning,
Tom
Old 10-13-2005, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Somatic Negative Optimist

Garage
I only use the single piece that fits tight over the lid and it comes off after every trip. I don't use the larger piece for the bumper because it's to complicated and, more important, it blocks the air flow to the front cooler.
If anyone has the single piece for the hood for sale, I would like it.
Thanx
Abstract Darwin Ipso Facto: "Life is evolutionary random and has no meaning as evidenced by 7 Billion paranoid talking monkeys with super-inflated egos and matching vanity worshipping illusionary Gods and Saviors ".
Old 10-14-2005, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I purchased a new 1 piece from Colgan awhile back for my Speedster and it fits terrible. None of the straps fit. I even took it down to Colgan and they said there was nothing they could do. Bill Colgan designed the 1st bra for a 356 using my 59 back in 1970 when his shop was behind the Crabcooker in Newport Beach. I know that if he was still alive running the operation he would have fixed it immediately.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I had a bra like that for my '67 912 that fit about the same. It will go on a lot better if you leave it inside a heated house overnight before trying to stretch it over. Mine worked great when I went on road trips, but I never left it on for more than a few days at a time.

Yours is fitting correctly for that model of bra.

One big problem with that bra, is that if you get in an area where there is a lot of stuff flying (which is why you put the bra on in the first place, since the headlights don't sag on most models ) you will find that little rocks and other such debris will end up on top of the hood, then slide down UNDER the bra. This creates a huge problem as the wind moves the bra slightly and the debris works its way into your paint.

Your car will be less happy with a rock stuck under its bra than some lanky lass on a brass pole is with a $5 stuck in her G-string!
SCWDP member #0034
'67 912 Restoration/Mod - SOLD
'80 911SC Targa -
Old 10-14-2005, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I don't know why I feel I have to respond again (it must a personality defect !!!!), but most everyone is right.

The Colgan Bra, which is what is on your car, is a great Bra, and has served me well for over 30 years of 911 ownership. But there are a number of caveats:

1. You can keep the Bra on the car, in the garage, if it is not wet.

2. Never leave it on your car when wet (it will "milky" the paint when the wet Bra sits in the sun and the resultant "steam" affects your lacquer paint.

3. After any trip of any length, and certainly when the leaves are falling, be sure your remove it and shake out any debris the has fallen between the Bra and the hood.

4. Re-read my last post - the aerodynamics while driving will push the Bra a little closer to the hood, and yet will create a nice up-ward stream of air to help deflect any sand, small rocks, insects, etc from your windshield. In fact, I never have bugs on my windshield, though there are a lot of bugs on the Bra at the height of the bumper. But these can be cleaned off with a moist towel.

5. As Rick Ward said, instant cleavage - NICE.

6. Ands finally Colgan's service is superb. They have re-stiched one or two seams for no charge, they are fast with their response, and they are a class-act.

Use your Colgan in good health!!!
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre
Old 10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

As far as I'm concerned, Andras nailed it...I've run nothing but Colgan one piece bras for decades. I run with the bra on, stow it in the trunk when at the event. Following the rules he outlined, never a problem. The following pic shows a hood with original paint. Guess that is evidence enough. I rest my case.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

for reference..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Tom,

I haven't used a 1 piece before, but i don't think you have that on right. It looks like the sides where the clips attach are too far from the fender. I would think that he clip should not be visible from the outside. My 2 piece has similar/identical clips on the side and they are totally enclosed inside the fender when attached. Could it be on in-side out? it looks like the edges of the bra have the padding facing outward, where I think it should be against the car, so try to turn the whole thing around?

- I agree with you, I don't think the bra should sit so far away from the hood, Maybe it needs to be pulled downward?

-I bought a colgan 2 piece this year before our trip to Hershey, it's a pain to put on, but I was very impressed with the fit after it was properly aligned, and while I'd never use it for daily wear, it worked great on a long trip to prevent chips..

-Good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Take that back!-After looking at the pic that was posted while I was typing, maybe you do have that on right!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Oh my God, here I am displaying my personality defect again!

Tom's Bra is, indeed, on correctly. There is only one way to put these on. That's the beauty of Colgan Bras, they are idot-proof.

Keep the faith, Tom. You are doing it right (just ask your wifie).
1982 Honda VF750S Sabre
Old 10-14-2005, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks for the discussion guys.

pwd72s - I love your car. Wanna trade? My dad had one just like it - same color and everything. He sold it soon after marrying my mom a looooooong time ago. Oh what might have been.

I guess I need to do a run w/it on sometime. I took it off while driving my car home for the first time and haven't really thought about it until I started seeing chips on my hood and front bumper. I'm planning a few hour drive in the next week or two and maybe I'll throw it on - I like saving the windshield from all the bugs!

Andras Nagy said, "Keep the faith, Tom. You are doing it right (just ask your wifie)" - - Unfortunately, my wife and I haven't had much talk about bras lately with a 3 yr. old and a 6 mo. old (who hasn't figured out that nighttime is for SLEEPING) around. Sorry - that was probably too much info.

Tom

Old 10-14-2005, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: