Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   Headroom (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/245894-headroom.html)

The Donkey 10-13-2005 10:35 AM

Headroom

This is not a very sophisticated question, but which car do you have more headroom in, a targa or coupe? It would be in78-85 model year SC or Carrerra.

I sat in a Carrerra coupe today and the headroom seemed fine but I sat in SC targa a few weeks ago and it seemed cramped.

Obviously the easiest way would be to go sit in both but I don't have that luxury.

Or is the simple answer that they are both exactly the same?

This may seem like a strange question but when my head rubs against the roof it really bothers me.

Thanks for the help.

VincentVega 10-13-2005 10:42 AM

Targa has more headroom

KobaltBlau 10-13-2005 10:44 AM

.... Than a sunroof coupe.

But a non-sunroof coupe has much more than a sunroof coupe. Targa headliners will sometimes get loose and make it seem cramped/rub on your head when a glue-back will give you a bunch more percieved headroom.

The Donkey 10-13-2005 10:51 AM

Great. Thanks. That was the answer I was hoping for because the Targa is the direction I am leaning. Does a carrerra have more headroom than an SC?

jorian 10-13-2005 10:56 AM

Carrera and SC, all things being equal, have the same amount of headroom. Some model years in the SC Carrera line up had different heights in the seat mounts which can make quite a difference.

KobaltBlau 10-13-2005 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jorian
Carrera and SC, all things being equal, have the same amount of headroom. Some model years in the SC Carrera line up had different heights in the seat mounts which can make quite a difference.
Yah, so all things are not necesarily equal :p

My understanding is that the early Carrera 3.2 raised the seat rails a little, like 84 and 85 (not 100% sure on the years), then they went back down to SC level. As I understand it SCs are all at the same height.

these can be cut and rewelded to a different height if need be. If a good welder does them it's not destructive, though be awere there are fuel lines in the tunnel. With this technique, I have seen a fellow at least 6'4" with a helmet on top of that fit in a sunroof coupe for the track. I think he had a little lower profile seat too, like a recaro Speed or recaro sport seat.

jorian 10-13-2005 11:34 AM

".....My understanding is that the early Carrera 3.2 raised the seat rails a little, like 84 and 85 (not 100% sure on the years)........"

I've read that the 84-85 as mentioned are 1.5" higher! I think it also depends on the type of seat. A sport seat has a more of a cavity in the horizontal surface than a regular seat which feels more like a bench seat in comparison.

jorian 10-13-2005 11:36 AM

My car has sport seats which sit nice and low. A friends' SC has regular seats which offer no support and sit extremely high.

KobaltBlau 10-13-2005 12:39 PM

Wow, Jorian, 1.5" is a lot, I didn't realize it was that much.

What you say is true, some aftermarket reclining seats are even better than the factory (late) sport seats, and the racing shells even more so (but harder to get in and out of!)

masraum 10-13-2005 12:45 PM

My '88 targa had the lowest option power seats (4 way) and had tons of headroom for me, 6'2".