Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Headroom

This is not a very sophisticated question, but which car do you have more headroom in, a targa or coupe? It would be in78-85 model year SC or Carrerra.

I sat in a Carrerra coupe today and the headroom seemed fine but I sat in SC targa a few weeks ago and it seemed cramped.

Obviously the easiest way would be to go sit in both but I don't have that luxury.

Or is the simple answer that they are both exactly the same?

This may seem like a strange question but when my head rubs against the roof it really bothers me.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Targa has more headroom
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

.... Than a sunroof coupe.

But a non-sunroof coupe has much more than a sunroof coupe. Targa headliners will sometimes get loose and make it seem cramped/rub on your head when a glue-back will give you a bunch more percieved headroom.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Great. Thanks. That was the answer I was hoping for because the Targa is the direction I am leaning. Does a carrerra have more headroom than an SC?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Carrera and SC, all things being equal, have the same amount of headroom. Some model years in the SC Carrera line up had different heights in the seat mounts which can make quite a difference.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jorian
Carrera and SC, all things being equal, have the same amount of headroom. Some model years in the SC Carrera line up had different heights in the seat mounts which can make quite a difference.
Yah, so all things are not necesarily equal

My understanding is that the early Carrera 3.2 raised the seat rails a little, like 84 and 85 (not 100% sure on the years), then they went back down to SC level. As I understand it SCs are all at the same height.

these can be cut and rewelded to a different height if need be. If a good welder does them it's not destructive, though be awere there are fuel lines in the tunnel. With this technique, I have seen a fellow at least 6'4" with a helmet on top of that fit in a sunroof coupe for the track. I think he had a little lower profile seat too, like a recaro Speed or recaro sport seat.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Cruiser

".....My understanding is that the early Carrera 3.2 raised the seat rails a little, like 84 and 85 (not 100% sure on the years)........"

I've read that the 84-85 as mentioned are 1.5" higher! I think it also depends on the type of seat. A sport seat has a more of a cavity in the horizontal surface than a regular seat which feels more like a bench seat in comparison.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

My car has sport seats which sit nice and low. A friends' SC has regular seats which offer no support and sit extremely high.

Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Wow, Jorian, 1.5" is a lot, I didn't realize it was that much.

What you say is true, some aftermarket reclining seats are even better than the factory (late) sport seats, and the racing shells even more so (but harder to get in and out of!)
Old 10-13-2005, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

My '88 targa had the lowest option power seats (4 way) and had tons of headroom for me, 6'2".

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: