Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
durn for'ner

Valve adjustment

Done a few rather simple DIY projects so far and I was thinking of trying my first valve adjustment.

Thing is its not really needed yet according to manual (15k interval). I only have 5k since last (professional) adjust. But I would like to give it a go just to see if I can do it and learn more about my car.

Now the question: Getting prepared I dug threw a lot of old threads four to five years ago. Rather heart warming and funny reading the posts of the guys now regarded as proper experts, at that time struggling with their first valve adjust !

Several posts declared that the valves of the SC and Carrera are in fact incredibly stable and that a well done adjustment probably could hold for at least 30 or perhaps even 50 k miles.

Does that still holds true ? With a normal adjust interval - how often will any actual adjusting be required ?

Finally - what are the odds that the valves will be worse of after I have fiddled around for the first time after just 5 k miles - than if I leave it alone ?

Thanks,

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

If it was professionally done 5k ago, leave them alone. Learn to do it later.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Sounds like good prudent advice. Thanks !

Say, did your avatar read Kurt B previously ?

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Quote:
Originally posted by livi
Sounds like good prudent advice. Thanks !
Say, did your avatar read Kurt B previously ?
No, that would be the other Kurt. Not as suave and deboner as me.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
durn for'ner

I see.

Was curious since this "Kurt B" figured in some of the old threads I read from back when you where first registered according to the avatar.

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
My 2.7 went somewhere in between 40 and 50000 miles (don´t know exactly) before I did my first adjustment. It was silent and when I checked no valves were tight.
It must depend alot on how the car is driven.

With only 5k, leave it
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

durn for'ner

I guess I will, Magnus.

Would it be fair to say then, that mileage is the crucial factor not time - between adjustments ? Since I probably won´t drive more than 5 k per year, I could strech the intervalls to three years ?

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Cool SC Valve adjust.......

I just did a valve adjust on my SC. It had been a year and about 8-9,000 miles since the last one. I wound up adjusting 2 valves by about 1/8th of a turn of the adjuster screw! The rest were still right on the money.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

what kind of oil do you use, fred?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

HMMMM. Where I come from they call this a summer girl.
(Some are 15 and some are 16.)
"Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools." Colin Chapman, Founder, Lotus F1
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Unregistered

Wow, this thread went south in a hurry
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Makes me proud to be from the south... Oh, not that south huh.

Speaking on the original topic. I checked my valves last week, 2000 miles after rebuild. They were all fine and I don't expect an adjustment will be required for several years.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

i want one of those...

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCal911SC
This picture gives me deboner.

Before I first did my valves the car would always start up immediately...like with a split second turn of the key. After I did the valves (first time) sometimes it would crank and crank and crank....and then after giving it some gas it'll start. It's only been 5k miles...leave it alone.
'72 911 T Targa widebody VTK #111385 http://www.911vtk.com
Old 10-13-2005, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Thats it, thanks for your input. Question answered.

I´ll go adjust a summer girl instead..

Carrera '85
Old 10-13-2005, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy the tool and many extra blades.

Then pull off a top valve cover and go thru the routine just checking without disturbing what the wrench dialed in. Get the feel of fitting the tool and enjoying the insertion drag in there may be enjoyable?
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 10-14-2005, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Hey Ronin,

Thats exactly what I was planning - do a little "dry" checking !

Funny you should mention it - I was a little embarrassed to suggest it myself. Afraid you guys would go - Sure, man go ahead and while your at it grab your sons plastic water pistol and head out in the woods aiming at rabbits, going bang, bang !

Carrera '85
Old 10-14-2005, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
May Markus, you building up your Winter project list as well I see

I have sent you the Christmas list, would be great if you could have a look
Old 10-14-2005, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Markus,

The valves become very loud when an adjustment is necessary.

Any experienced mechanic can hear it when one/more valves need adjustment(s).

Another way to tell is to compare it to another 911 in terms of valve noise (one that you know has been adjusted).

I very much doubt that your valves will need an adjustment... learn it next time, it's not very difficult (heck, next to the oil change it's one of the easiest things). That's my advice.

Tilt the car left and do the right valves and the other way around to avoid an oil change if that is still good. (I only read about this, never tried it and always change my oil at the same time).

- Michiel
'05 Audi A3 Sportback 1.9TDI (not a bad daily driver) - gone
Old 10-14-2005, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Will do, Pål.

If it turns out I am not hundred percent sure of the translations I will e-mail the shop the English names and have him put together a hopefully good, competitive price.

Like said, does not hurt to check. I will let you know during this weekend how I fare.

Carrera '85
Old 10-14-2005, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Michiel,

I am not worried about loud, loose valves. I am worried about silent - too tight valves.

Anyway, my last question about intervals - is it accurate to go by driven miles or should it be done every other year regardless of how few miles its been driven ?

Carrera '85
Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: