Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
wuf...wuf!!!

I also ask how you replicated the factory look touring rear bumpers?
Great job!

Doug
1973 viper green 911 hotrod
1971 white Sports Purpose 914-6 conversion
Old 10-13-2005, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
I don't like it!

I love it! The color, the body, flares, wheels.
We need more pics please.

"It smelled like German heaven"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySt9SeZl9s
Old 10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
What's not to like. 72' Coupe, Silver, RS flares, Sport seats...timeless classic.

My 71' project is going on two years and your way ahead of me. Alright I was sidetracked by a 72' Coupe and a 73' Targa along the way.

Anyway, kudos for stickin with it.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 10-14-2005, 12:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
The rear bumpers were a nice challenge. Not only does the RS bumper bend out to meet the flare, but it also is about a 1/2 " longer. Where the bend takes place, I cut off the end of the bumper and added 1/2" of metal to it for length and welded that back on an angle. I was carefull to make the cut just forward of the bumper-to-fender bracket to avoid further complications.
Because the passenger side bumper was rusty toward the tail end, I bought another used bumper and was able to use the front of the old bumper. I cut a piece off the old bumper a 1/2" longer than what I cut off the "new" bumper and grafted it to the "new" bumper. This saved an extra weld line (and all the grinding associated with it).
If you have two sets of bumpers, it really makes it easier. Not only can you use the end, if you need that extra 1/2" you can cut it from the donor bumper because it will have the right contour. So don't throw away those rusty bumpers if the forward part is in good shape!
The first photo shows the "new" bumper partially cut at the bend. The next two show the "old" piece tack welded to the "new" Because there is an angle formed, two triangular pieces need to be welded on, one on top and the other underneath where the two contours of the bumper meet. Edit: The donor bumper can be cut so as to avoid the need for the upper triangular fill piece, but the bottom filler is still needed.
Of course, body filler was used to smooth the appearance. I ain't That Good!

Last edited by Mike O'Meara; 10-14-2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Great job on the bumper, I wanted to do that, but was overwhelmed with everything else that needed to be done on my car so I went with the fiberglass rear bumper. Maybe I will keep my steel bumper and follow your instructions some time in the near furure. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Porsche Less Member

Send a message via Yahoo to k9handler
very nice!

2019 Can Am Renegade 1000R XC
Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: