Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Usurper

Forgive typo - 207 HP!!, lest rowdy Carrera types search me out!

Old 10-14-2005, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

No problem DARISC, but realistically, your mechanic is blowing wind up your skirt if he claims 225-230 HP for that engine. The 204 HP, 89.8:1 CR, ROW SC is a great, strong running motor. Assuming no emission's mods it will still go. The early US 3.2's were rated at 200 HP (real SAE net numbers).

Your car is probably slightly lighter than the 3.2s that you drove and, while it has the same cams, your's are indexed to move the power band up a little higher in the rev band. With the SSI exhaust, you probably pick up maybe 10 ponys over the euro exhaust with the factory premuffler, but it was sized for the smaller 911 motors. Also, bear in mind that the factory ROW premuffler has proven to be pretty effective on those 3.0 liter cars.

The K&N probably does nothing for you.

That's a great motor combo and I'm jealous. It just isn't anywhere near the wild cammed, mechanically fuel injected motor in the 1974 RS 3.0 (roughly 225 SAE net HP). It will be much the same as the greatly loved 1973 2.7 RS in power, with a much broader, more powerful torque curve.

Enjoy your great motor.

Jerry Kroeger
1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
Old 10-14-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 911teo

My car was a nice looking Carrera before... I didn't want to spend time looking for a perfect M491 which would have cost me more than the "surgery".
Will I get the money back? I don't think so... but as Kevin said you can do it for way less than 10k.

If your can afford it I say do it!
I agree, however for another 10K you could end up with an Original M491 and still keep your current car "Investment" intact wich looks great.

So in theory for 10K more you get 2 "Original" Porsche's vs 1 Replica without the 930 brakes. IF you ever decide to sell you woul always get yoru money back on the "Original" M491 at no loss and you would probably get most of your money back on the SC.

My 2cents
A jewel in the rough
2000 Grand Cherokee
Family Wagon with Jewels on board
Old 10-14-2005, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
IMHO if a car you want is easily available, like The M491 turbo looks, then you ought to buy one.

You should build one only if the car you want is unobtainable because of era, law or $$

or because you wish to put a very valuable speciman at risk as in racing.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

It really depends what u want to do with your car.
If you have financial stability and you think you can keep your car forever then here is how I see it....
The M491 will cost roughly $12-14k more than what you will get for your SC. It's still a 17 year old car and you are buying an unknown quantity.

12-14k will easily make your SC better than the M491.

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
nice doggie

Where in the heck are all you guys finding genuine m491s for sale? I've never seen one around here. Maybe they're all in southern California.

If you want a wide body go for it. I got my front fenders and rocker covers from a 930 that got rear ended. Rear flares are steel. Suspension is still SC, but can be modified over time. No regrets here. I liked my SC before, I like it even more now.

78 SC hotrod
02 Mini Cooper S
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

I greatly appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me. As far as the value of my car, I couldn't sell it for anywhere near the 35K I've got into it. W/O giving the long list, what I've done is cam grind (still stock - was pitted), clutch/flywheel,strut bar, 28mm torsion bars in back, bilsteins all around, 16" polished Fuchs 7s & 8s, tensioner upgrade, turbo tie rods, oil return tubes & a myriad of attention to details involving many parts. The engine had 178.5K when I bought it & the leak down averaged 5%. runs strong.

I probably could have driven the car 15K miles after buying it (the valves were adjusted just prior to my purchase), but I didn't want to be driving around in a car I knew I wanted/needed to do a lot more to to make it a really dependable, good, fun 23 year old daily driver in which I could feel like I was a (past middle age) boy racer in a really cool car!

So - If I were to find on old wide body (there are a lot around, but they're of the biological rather than the automtive type) it would probably be more than the 13.5K I laid out for what I have and would also probably cost as much or more to bring it up to the quality mine is at now.

I talked to Dave at Tre motorsports who said I could have what I describe for +/- 10K, including a good multi stage repaint at one of the shops they use (they'd have the car 8-10 weeks), and that includes alignment, spacers, etc.

Oh, what to do, what to do?! (like I don't appreciate the fact that I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I would even deign to consider such things!).

Watever I decide to do, I really enjoy the pics you've posted (they certainly look real good).

I'm a newbie and hope I'm not clogging up the board, but here's more pics of the possible patient (or victim in some of your opinions).

Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

I've been wanting to do this to my targa, actually make a poor man's speedster: cut the targa bar off, put a clamshell on, pull front quarter glass and window frames, turbo fenders/flares, no tail...

the big question is what to do iwth the suspension. I already have 1.25F and 1.5R spacers to fit 7x9x17 996 wheels so I think I would have to add a turbo suspension to pull the hubs out and then add the spacers.

the bodywork doesn's scare me, fitting up rear turbo trailing arms to a Carrera torsion bar tube... not so sure. thoughts?

the car, all 245K miles of her.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Original Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by DARISC
I greatly appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me. As far as the value of my car, I couldn't sell it for anywhere near the 35K I've got into it. W/O giving the long list, what I've done is cam grind (still stock - was pitted), clutch/flywheel,strut bar, 28mm torsion bars in back, bilsteins all around, 16" polished Fuchs 7s & 8s, tensioner upgrade, turbo tie rods, oil return tubes & a myriad of attention to details involving many parts. The engine had 178.5K when I bought it & the leak down averaged 5%. runs strong.
That's standard updates... I would put my money into "go fast" way before putting it into "look fast". And I have... muhahahaha!

You guys can argue about 180-200 or 220 HP... SSI this or that, K&N cleaners 7HP.... big deal....things don't start below 300HP with an SC.

Some guy earlier wanted to put a "look fast" 4 inch SS tailpipe end cap on his fake slant nose turbo.

Can you spell "rice"???
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered

Shaun 84 Targa, there are wheels like jack has that dont need spacers or you can have someone like Boothedesigns make the size you need, Kevin
Old 10-14-2005, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

Shaun
Kevin's right. Carrera trailing arms here, no spacers, 9.5x17 and 11x17 Lindsey Wheels... worked for me...

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-14-2005, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

thanks Kevin and Matteo, maybe January I'll be able to start the project.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Friends of Warren

In fact Mike Lindsey made my wheels to our specs. We measured the room under the fenders after the widebody conversion and gave the to him....
Great guy to work with. In fact I am thinking of getting a second set of Lindseys for racing tires...

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: