Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Usurper

Turbo Look Conversion Of 82 Sc Coupe

I plan to keep my four month old 82 SC Euro spec. coupe forever, having spent a lot of money rejuvenating the mechanicals, including wheels & suspension to make it a reliable daily driver. It's my first Porsche - Love it!!

I also love the 930 turbo body and would like to convert my SC to that look. I have Fuchs 16", 7s & 8s,
which I understand would be the minimum sizes for the correct look. I'd want the flares & whatever other body parts associated w/the conversion to be steel, not fiberglass.

The body is rust free, solid & undamaged. I realize a lot of bodywork labor is involved in fitting, welding, finishing, etc. as well as the mechanical work re spacering the wheels, alignment & whatever else would be needed. I realize as well that to do it right I would have the whole car repainted to finish the project.

I'd be having professionals do all the work.

Will any of you more experienced Porschefiles out there hazard a guess as to what I will pay to have a primo conversion such as this done? I know it won't be cheap. I live in Southern Cal.

I'm into the Porsche mainly for the driving experience more than having a "pretty" car(I do keep mine washed & waxed though) but can't get that fat boy look out of my mind.

The car already has a factory installed turbo tail & front air dam.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Go to body pros in orange county. Either in Santa Ana or Garden Grove
Old 10-13-2005, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

unless you have the front turbo fender, the front air dam is not a turbo air dam. It probably a turbo air dam lookalike or replica for a narrow body car.

I would look for a nice turbo look 911 rather than try and replicate a 930 turbo. The turbo look 911 have everything that a turbo would have including suspension mod except for a turbo motor.

Nice color - Platinum Metallic, one of my favorite color for a 911.

Last edited by ruf-porsche; 10-13-2005 at 02:58 PM..
Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I agree; buy a 911 that has the Turbo Look M491 option. There are too many important things different. It isnít just fenders & wheels. It IS a 930 Turbo without the turbo engine.

Some of the important differences are:
Torsion bar tube.
Rear trailing arms with tapered roller bearings.
Big brakes.
Different front suspension and mounting points to the chassis.
And more. Many canít be retrofitted without building the 911 from new again.

And most important Ė built by the Porsche Factory!

As you said, you have your SC now almost how you want it as a daily driver. Drive it and spend the next year finding the right Turbo Look 911. This gives you the opportunity to define for yourself exactly the years, colors etc. that are acceptable to you. With cash-in-the-bank, you are in a position to snag the right one when available. You might possibly find a bargain. Write out your PPI instructions now.

In the interim, enjoy.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-13-2005, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I tend to agree. That's a beauty of a car right there. Don't hack it up- let someone else enjoy it and find one already done by an accomplished pro, or by the factory.

Now, if it had collision damage and major bodywork was needed anyway, that's a different story. But to throw away all that nice paint and existing bodywork? Dunno about that.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

I really apreciate your feedback. I probably will never sell the car because I've put 20K into it over the 13.5K I purchased it for. I wanted everything done right all at once and while some might wince at that kind of money thrown at an old SC, I knowingly chose to do it and have no regrets; the car is what I expected it to be after all the work was done. Being a Euro spec. car, it has the turbo oil cooler. While I realise the 930 had bigger brakes & other differences, I could choose to upgrade whichever I chose. I probably won't track the car other than a few times to learn its limits (I come frome twin turbo RX 7, C5 hardtop world of 50/50 type wght distrib.) so the current brakes will probably do me. The car as set up w/the factory Euro spec compression, SSI/Dansk 2 in 2 out exhaust makes maybe 225, 230 hp. I believe the original 930 made 238 or thereabouts, so my SC is pretty brisk as she is (I don't miss the C5s monster hp/torque at all and really get irritated w/turbo lag in all the turbo cars I've driven w/the exception of my RX7, which had twin turbos that spooled up sequentially).

I don't, however want to spoil a very nice looking Porsche as it sits, so will look closely at examples done in light of your warnings.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
I agree; buy a 911 that has the Turbo Look M491 option. There are too many important things different. It isnít just fenders & wheels. It IS a 930 Turbo without the turbo engine.
I agree, plus in the pictures I have seen of your '82 it is "too nice" in the body department. I also am against doing things just for looks (especially heavy bodywork), but it's your $!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Nice car, man.
How about finding a Turbo-look in Platinum to match your gorgeous SC?
How cool would that be, huh?

Wayne
Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It can be done and done very well by numerous shops, especially in so cal. Anziano's has done many. However, it is expensive, and will cost at a minimum $10,000, with paint and all, and probably more like $15,000. You would be better off selling yours and buying am m491 or one already converted, or even keeping yours as-is and buying a converted one as well and having 2. You could then always sell one if need be and lose very little money. If you convert yours and then need to sell for some unexpected reason, you would probably get none of your money back.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Original Owner

Take half the money of a "turbo look" conversion and put a turbo IN that sucka!!! 200 HP is for girly men as they say in Cali. Now 300+ in an SC, now we're talkin!!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Supercharge it!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
If you have the wide body urge, just follow some of the mid to early cars around on a run.
Some of those guy's would just love to have the kind of rubber you can get under an SC.

Let's see some more pictures of your SC, How's it look inside ?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DARISC
I wanted everything done right all at once and while some might wince at that kind of money thrown at an old SC...
No one here is going to wince at that. Many of our Porsches are 'gold-plated.'
Old 10-13-2005, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Disregard my former statement if you get behind Jack O.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Looks like a fun book -- any details on the background?
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

I decided a long time ago that im gonna do with my car as i please, trust me when I say there are some truely nice cars that will bring the big bucks stuffed away, most of us have ordinary cars, some are cleaner then others, even the guys that keep them truely mint will NEVER get what they have back out of them. so I say do as you please

my car was a 1982 black targa when i started, now its what ever i say it is,
steel turbo conversion, c2 bumpers, 3.6

soon to have a roll cage new suspension and what ever else i plan to cut up,
if you have the dough do what you please but do it right, i think you can do the conversion in steel for way under 10k, but im sure there are people that will argue the point, mine was under 5500, but i shopped, and did some work, regardless just enjoy it, Kevin
Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Friends of Warren

I say go for it...
I did...
The M491 option is over-priced in my opinion...
Anyway in regards to cost here is a summary of what you pay
- Steel flares: $250f - $350r. They are difficult to find though as it seems the rear ones are in back-order
- 930 rockers.. classifieds for $250
- suspensions: $2,500 for a total revamp
- brakes... u could get Carrera brakes for $500... they will be enough for 230HP
- labor.... $4,500-6000

Some pics of mine under the knife

And the finished product...

My car was a nice looking Carrera before... I didn't want to spend time looking for a perfect M491 which would have cost me more than the "surgery".
Will I get the money back? I don't think so... but as Kevin said you can do it for way less than 10k.

If your can afford it I say do it!

Warren RIP

www.impactbumpers.co.uk
Old 10-14-2005, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

DARISC I have Turbo body Parts you may be interested in if you make the move - My car is currently in Vista having a cage installed - I sent you a PM.

Thanks

Rich
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DARISC
I The car as set up w/the factory Euro spec compression, SSI/Dansk 2 in 2 out exhaust makes maybe 225, 230 hp.
Realistaclly, probably closer to 200 to 205 HP SAE net. The orignial number is DIN and translates to apprioximately 195 HP SAE net. The 74 RS 3.0 made 230 HP DIN (Approx 220 SAE net) with S cams, better pistons, MFI and an exhaust similar to an SSI. You're no where close to that spec motor.

Regards,

Jerry Kroeger
1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
Old 10-14-2005, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Jerry,
The SAE & DIN numbers are what I've read & been told. The mechanic who brought my car up to snuff and has 30 years + experience on Porsches told me the SSI's muffler and K&N probably upped the HP by "maybe 20, 25 HP" (his words, when I asked him, half seriously, what number I could use for bragging rights. I do know that the low end torque feels greater than three friends stock Carreras that I've driven, and that I steadily pull away from all three in 3rd & 4th. My understanding is that their cars (all 915 trans cars) made 107 HP stock (don't know if that's SAE or DIN).

Thanks for your input (and forgive my defensiveness re my little SC screamer!).

Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: