Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Details on Scruffy's chassis reinforcements (Please, Tyson?)

With all this talk about one of this board's favorite 911s, Scruffy, I wanted to see if I could get Tyson to put down some information in one place on the chassis reinforcements he has tried on that car, and what worked and didn't. Maybe James could even take a few pictures once he knows what to look for.

I remember something about a tube going down through the smuggler's box area... some creative stuff as I recall.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
bump, Ive asked and wondered about this without any info I can use. I know that TRE would do the work but I live far far away.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
911 driver

I second the request for more info on the reinforcements.
I remember there was a description in an old thread here at the BBS, but no pictures. Tubes going from the front struts to the center tunnel in front of the shifter(?)

Come on Tyson, tell us more about it

EDIT: Here's the old thread: Targa to Cab conversion people

Last edited by Ove; 10-14-2005 at 09:30 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That's the one I was thinking of, Ove.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Schmidt
The next move was a drastic one. I wanted to eliminate as much twist as possible. This has the most benefit to handling for the reasons you stated above. My solution was to tie the upper strut mounts to the center tunnel (Right next to the drivers feet.) with 1" tubing. I cut holes in the trunk floor, reinforced the center tunnel, and welded in the tubing. (There were many many obstacles to overcome, including some serious throttle pedal rearranging.)
James, is there any chance you could get some pictures of this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Schmidt
But, I still had that annoying cowl shake, .... After the diagonal bracing was installed, it was GONE!!!!
Tyson, what suspension were you running on the car at the time?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
PRO Motorsports

I've got to get to work, so I'll have to go into more detail later. The diagonals that I put in the front had to be removed for rules reasons, so they aren't there anymore. It's not possible to do them on a power brake booster car either.

If I were to do it again, I'd make a structural sheet metal box where the ceneter console would be, then diagonally tie the upper strut mounts to meet the upper attachment point of the console at the trunk floor.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks - if you can show any diagrams of what you did AND what you'd do next time, etc. I think many people would like to see it -- there are 341 vies already!

Also, did you put new spot welds into the unit body in between the ones that are already there?

- Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 10-14-2005, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

PRO Motorsports

I'll have to get back to this later, since I can't post pics from this computer. Long story, but I've got to get my camera software on this computer before I can really post anything meaningful. (computer fried, and lost all my saved pictures too.)

I also don't have the photoshop or cad-cam skills, so I'll need help with that.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you for being willing to do this, especially considering your last 24 hours or so. Maybe you could just make sketches and someone could scan them for you if you don't have the scanner. If you have any photos still of course that would be great too. CAD etc probably isn't necessary on this one, I'm curious about the general ideas

Cheers,
Old 10-14-2005, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Tyson thanks in advance. Im still looking for where you might strengthen a tub. I plan a cage that extends to engine area ( actually talked to someone at TRE about you guys making a cage to ship to me ) but that wouldnt cover the 'extra' welding areas.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

hey, what do you "once I know what to look for"...? ;-) maybe I do and just dont want to share?
1955 356 Pre A Coupe ‘old red’
1956 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mjshira
hey, what do you "once I know what to look for"...? ;-) maybe I do and just dont want to share?
Hey, I was sure you would want to share with your pelican bros!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Sports Purpose 911 Driver

I will let Tyson explain them all. We took out one bit of em because it made the car too tight. I will be able to see what our latest efforts produced when I put the roll bar back in.

1955 356 Pre A Coupe ‘old red’
1956 356A Emory speedster build in progress
Old 10-15-2005, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: