Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

R12 or R134

I was just about to remove my AC system and then I realized that the compressor is an aftermarket. Is there a easy way of telling if I have the R12 or R134 system? Because if it is a R134 system I'll just check it for leaks and recharge it. If it is the R12 system I'm going to remove it.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If the conversion was properly done there should be a R134a label and a high pressure cut out switch on the high pressure side (side with hose going to the condenser) on the system. In addition to that, the correct R-134a charging fittings will be of two different sizes (high and low pressure are different) and have a red and a blue cover or cap respectively on them. However, who knows? A "Dukes of Hazard type" could have filled it with Coleman stove propane. Pro A/C shops have this trouble all the time, hence their use of refrigerant sampling units. Perhaps you should have such a shop check it for you. Cheers, Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Sims
A "Dukes of Hazard type" could have filled it with Coleman stove propane.
I thought the only reason why they run around in "Daisy shorts"
was because they don't have a/c.

LMAO

Thanks for the laugh Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Thanks! It looks like it's an R12 system then, but I'll run it by a shop just to make sure.

Bill

Old 10-13-2005, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: