Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Kroggers
What is a 1990 3.6 from a 964 worth these days?

I am looking at a 3.6 for sale close to me and am very interested. The owner is asking me to suggest a price, but i have no idea what is a good deal these days!!! He has told me that the engine had done 75000Km before it was removed from the car about a year back. I can not see the engine running, but he ensures me that it is all in good working order!?! What would you do, and what sort of money would you suggest, if at all???

Old 10-14-2005, 01:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

hello mate

I saw that for sale too - I already have one so dont worry I'm not after it.

there was a 993 3.6 on a few weeks ago that didnt even make its reserve of £1k, heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4577048771&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have been watching 3.6's for a while over here and they typically go for £2k-£4.5k depending on condition and story behind it.

The engine I found was not out of a wrecked car which I think is the best option - I'm not sure Porsche designed them to take sudden impacts at high RPM.

I'm near Reading in the UK so if its close I would be happy to go and check it out for you - lemmie know, good luck otherwise.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Hay jevvy, that would be cool. The owner did not give me to much info (claims he does not know about cars etc....) He is located in Watford, not to far from you. My family are in Rickmansworth, so if I get the engine, storage is not a problem until I can get it shipped over to me here in Sweden...
Old 10-14-2005, 01:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Be very careful.

Get a better story, or walk away...

Is it on ebaY?

If so, someone in the UK Porsche community will almost certainly know the vendor!!!!

At the very least, make sure the numbers on engine and box tally...and ring the cops too..

Kind regards
David
Old 10-14-2005, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi
Hi there
I had another look at the user who posted the engine in the link I posted above and he has a 964 and 993 breaking for spares - the 964 engine only has 38K miles on it so I would give him a shout and see what he is thinking as far as prices, his engines may be better too since you can see that car they came out of:

user

keep me posted..

Last edited by jevvy; 10-14-2005 at 01:46 AM..
Old 10-14-2005, 01:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

oh yeah, forgot to say that unless the early 964 engines have had the head gaskets sorrted you may want to check out how much this costs - I know it put me off these engines

if its already done then its not a problem
Old 10-14-2005, 01:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

durn for'ner

Hey, Pål !

You planning on a transplant ?

Like mentioned, I would be very careful / suspicious picking up an engine in a box. Although it could be perfectly fine - it will cost your shirt and half your pants if its a lemon.

BTW, I thought your economy was taxed with your winter front suspension project ?

Put your Christmas list together and I will check and compare the total numbers for you.

Carrera '85
Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
coolcavaracing.com

Garage
Hi Markus, I am not really planning a transplant at the moment (funds will not really permit that at the moment), but it is always good to keep your eyes open for a good deal

Christmas list is coming together nicely - look out for an email next week my friend

Old 10-14-2005, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: