Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
Pelican Praise - Chicago Area Dealership (long)

Had to share this praise for our hosts...

I've been a P-Car owner 2 months exactly, and I've learned alot through Wayne's Book and the forums to enable me to:

Successfully install rear fuse block
" " fix brake light problems
" " change oil 1st time
" " lower front end
" " install new hood/eng compart struts
" " Diagnose Heating problem

I've had a nagging electrical problem with a bad ground related to an aftermarket install of an cheap-a*s alarm system - badly installed by a previous owner to me. Really it's been the only problem the car has ever had, but 'twas nagging me enough to resolve.

Last week, on a final attempt to diagnose myself, I swapped out a front blinker relay - in doing so I left the battery connected when I was playing with the relay. (Lesson learned = always disconnect the battery on an old Porsche -- always)

Well, what I didn't know was the fuel pump relay was affected by the bad ground - and that was the reason for my non-start!

$ 75.00 5 mile tow to dealership
$220.00 2 hour Labor to diagnose starting problem
$ 28.00 Front Fuel Pump Relay (red) that was blown

Priceless = when you learn the tech @ the dealership is a Pelican

Here's the positive of the whole story. The dealership hires out to a guy who specalizes in the older P-Cars, apaprently that's all he does is the older ones.

The dealership put him on the phone when they finally got a chance to look at the car -- his name is Frank C. and he's a Pelican. Frank asks me all sorts of detailed questions about my 78SC, noting that it was a Euro model etc. He's really taking his time, making sure I understand everything going on for at least 10 minutes on the call.

Here's another cool part -- He convinces me not to have the dealership work on all my "complaint" list, but that I should visit this place online. I stopped him before he could get it out with "....Do you mean PelicanParts.com? And their forums??...."

"Yep, the best most helpful place online for all your P-car needs!"

He's saying this while on the phone from the dealership too!

I wont reveal the name of the dealership (or his last name) because he might get in trouble, but just wanted to say that Pelicaners are everywhere --- and they always seem to be most helpful -- even when they didn't have to be.

My tow and visit to the dealer could have easily run to $1000 or more w/o much effort. This was kept to under $300, and I double-checked the list of parts I'll be ordering from Pelican probably this weekend.

It's good to have Pelican friends.

-Tom

Ps: Chicago-area GruppeB guys are cool too -- Matt Smith (not knowing me from Adam) helped me the first week or so after I had the car, and gave me a turbo hood shock, and much advice and let me pick his brain for several hours a few weeks ago!! Thanks again Matt!!

2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-14-2005, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: