Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Oil change intervals for track car....

Forgive me if this has been covered before. My SC sees about 4K-5K miles per year, but that will include about 20 track days. I use Castrol 20/50 and change it every 3k miles or after every four tracks days, whichever comes first. Does this sound about right?

Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
I would say it depends entirely on how hot your oil is getting on the track. The only real way to tell is to have an oil analysis done, the only safe bet other than that is to change it as you have been. I run synthetic as it holds up better to high heat, not sure if you're 20/50 is Dino or synthtic, assume Dino...
Old 10-14-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have pretty good cooling on my SC and never got above 212 deg. on the hottest DE days. This weekend and the the DE in two more weeks will be significantly cooler.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

On my 2.4MFI engine, generally after a two day DE. The gas in the oil syndrome is pretty severe on this powerplant some reason, and I have gone through it. Castrol 20-50W. YMMV
Old 10-14-2005, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think I'll throw in some Techron or BG44K this weekend and change the oil after the DE.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Re: Oil change intervals for track car....

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee
Forgive me if this has been covered before. My SC sees about 4K-5K miles per year, but that will include about 20 track days. I use Castrol 20/50 and change it every 3k miles or after every four tracks days, whichever comes first. Does this sound about right?
I think this sounds about right. If you want to be sure, do an oil analysis with a sample near the end of this interval (but sample before you put in the BG or whatever). The advantage of the analysis is you can see if there are any major problems with the engine and possibly make improvements via oil or oil or fuel additives.

I was using 20w-50 valvoline VR-1 and had 5 track days on the oil (and about 5800 miles) in the analysis I posted on the below linked thread. The oil experts recommended I switch to Red Line 10w-40, but I had already put in Mobil 1 15w-50. I do think that a very high quality synthetic in a 10w-40 may have some benefits even for a track car used in hot weather, but if the castrol is working for you, stick with it.

Oil Analysis Results

to get a free oil analysis kit, go to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html (no affiliation)
Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I have a Blackstone kit sitting on my kitchen counter. I'd like to use Valvoling Racing, but it's just too hard to find for my frequent oil changes. Castrol is ubiquitous. MAybe I'll switch to something else when it gets hot again. My engine is recently rebuilt and does not leak at all.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

RL - I changed my SC after every other event as well. With the low oil temps you have I wouldnt think twice about it.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Great thread ...Thanks, Rick.

I'm using Kendall GT1 in 20w/50 and wonder the same thing. The Kendall has got a "good rep" among track folks so I use it, but hate the thought/cost of changing so frequently. Will try an analysis at the next change. But has anyone any experience with a track-only car running Kendall? TIA

Edward
Old 10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Oil Analysis is the right thing to do to determine any drain interval for any car. It can be argued that it is even doubly important for track driven car because of the extended time at high rpm and high temperature. Most cars are fine under such conditions and exhibit no more wear than any other street driven car but the only way to be absolutely sure is through oil analysis.

Rick, my bet is that through oil analysis you will find that you are wasting your money of you change it more often than once per year.

Don
Old 10-14-2005, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Don, if you've followed all that I've been through with this SC on PP BBS, then you'll agree that any price of oil is cheap insurance.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee
Don, if you've followed all that I've been through with this SC on PP BBS, then you'll agree that any price of oil is cheap insurance.
10-4, I didn't realize you have been through a "journey". I did notice you mentioned that you had a ]n oil analysis kit already. That is the right thing to do.

Don
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I change my Mobil 1 15/50 once a year (usually 8 track days).
1980 Porsche 911SC w/ -22mm/28mm Torsion Bars | Custom Valved Bilsteins | 22mm/21mm Carrera Sway Bars | Elephant Poly/Bronze Bushings | Carrera Brakes | AJ-USA Brake Cooling | Carrera Oil Cooler w/ Fan | Elephant Strut Brace | Oh, and no ABS or PSM or A/C
Old 10-14-2005, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I change my 2.5L race motors oil almost after every race weekend. Since my 2.5L's oil does not get over 210 degrees, sometimes I go two race weekends (just recently).
I also open up the filter to check for metal flakes. Everything looks great. I use Chevron 20-50. It has good zinc content. Best of all you can get it at Costco cheap .
911ST Race Car/2.5L SS Race Motor #02
1972 911T- Numbers matching- Restoring to stock
2011 Porsche Spyder Wht/Blk/Carbon Fiber Buckets/6-Speed (Sold)
2016 Elan NP01 Prototype racecar- Chassis #20, #02
Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I followed the same procedure as Chad. Change the oil, inspect the sump and cut open the filter. I would have done oil analysis if it had been easily available. The issue isnít the oil. It is draining out contaminants and catching some problem in time to prevent a catastrophic failure.

On race engines I threw out lots of perfectly good rings, bearings, rod bolts and more with 25 hour rebuilds. The alternative was unacceptable.

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
you're supposed to change the oil?

it leaks...I add...I figured that was close enough.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by nostatic
you're supposed to change the oil?

it leaks...I add...I figured that was close enough.

Nah,
Just set the MFI rich, it will compensate for the leaks. Hehe

Best,
Grady
Old 10-14-2005, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Grady Clay
Nah,
Just set the MFI rich, it will compensate for the leaks. Hehe

Best,
Grady
if I get the money to rebuild my 3.0 as an SCRS engine, I'll do just that
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

If you are using dino-oil, I'd change if after every DE event - cheap insurance.

I used mobil 1 on mine and I still change mine after every event. Though my turbo seems to run hotter than a NA car.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by hobieboy
If you are using dino-oil, I'd change if after every DE event - cheap insurance.
That is what i do. If the filter has been in there for less than 2k i just leave the filter (drain it though) and change the oil. Cost less than $20 and the car will appreciate it.

The Roach
Old 10-14-2005, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: