Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dumbest Question of the Year?

Ok guys,
Doing my first oil change on the car (ashamed to say that it has been a year and I havent put on 3000 miles). Warmed the engine up. Went to the dry sump bolt with a 19mm socket. Turned it counter clockwise to loosen. That thing would not budge. Put some oil on the bolt. Wacked it with a hammer. Eventually put an extension on my socket ratchet to make it into a breaker bar and the ratchet cracked in half. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Believe me Alexander, I can feel your pain ! For reference - read my thread on gear lube change.

I went at that plug for three days strait before it gave in. And the gear box filler plug its much worse located than the engine oil plug.

Took heating, oiling, knocking, several attempts with different homemade extensions. Three f#Ī%&% days !!

I canīt figure out any advice I did not try - so I have none to offer besides that of not giving up.

Eventually one have to leave to the shop of course... but give it a bit more spanking and foul language before that.

Good luck !

Carrera '85
Old 10-14-2005, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You're not alone!

-my first Oil change went in similar fashon! the PO's mechanic must have used an air wrench or some idiot kid to tighten the bolt!

-I ended up buying a big 2' extention, sprayed the tank and sump bolts with pentrating fluid, and then went to it. Constant Pressure seemed to work-as apposed to pulling as hard as I could!-plus you don't want to strip the bolt.

-FYI-make sure you have a big bucket ready -that oil comes out FAST!!-If you are a newbie mechanic-and probably good advice for all of us, put on safety glasses! you dont want hot oil splattering in your eye!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
You've probably already - but try PB Blaster?? And let sit, and reapply and let sit, and reapply....
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-14-2005, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bill is Dead.

A related comment: Use a good quality tool. Cheap sockets (china, taiwan, etc) can expand under high loading - allowing the socket to jump the points of the bolt and round the corners.

Once the bolt is damaged, the level of difficulty removing it increases. Snap-On has a remedy called a "salvage socket", which has internal teeth that bite into the metal when turning.

And although steady pressure is a good rule, sometimes a good impact will do the trick a lot faster. Just only use the impact for removal - never for installation. Again, make sure it is a good socket.

And never use an open end wrench or adjustable wrench on highly torqued bolts.

(comments based on my experience - others may feel differently)
Old 10-14-2005, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

careful with pb blaster... flammable if torch applied.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Ok guys, Its off.
I sure am relieved.
Used a 2' pipe with letting it soak with PB blaster for an hour.
Just needed a punch in the arm from you guys.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Vinyl guru ask 4 a quote

Garage
Make sure you use 10000 foot pounds of torque when ya put it back in....%^B

Old 10-14-2005, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: