Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

That was fun. I remember all this silliness.

The results will be up HERE soon.

Lets have a Pelican discussion about TV/on-line Forum coverage. Daytona & Seabring aren't far off.

Best,
Grady

Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-15-2005, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

That was GREAT !

Thanks for keeping that one going! I liked that real-time race tracker link too, that was cool !

So whatta ya think Grady ? RS Spyder going places....? I liked your comment about trying to stay "out" of LMP1, My mind wasn't geared toward that when I started reading the thread... I was looking for outright victory, but they really may have been shooting themselves in the foot with a much better performance. Is that what you were alluding to ?
Old 10-16-2005, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

Can't wait to see the Speed coverage today !

Next year should be interesting once Penske get's their operation rolling ...
Old 10-16-2005, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

OK, I’ll speculate on race strategy although I may change my mind after looking at the pit notes and watching the race today.

When Sascha Maassen took on tires under a yellow ˝ hour into the race I at first ascribed this to the team just wanting a careful look at the tires. In hindsight that also gave him fresher tires for the time when all the P1 cars would pit. That left him in 2nd place right behind the leader – ready to jump in the lead. I’m sure we will see the pass attempt today. Porsche could have had the best of “having lead” the race and politically dismissed it to the P1 cars pitting.

The telling point was when Lucas pitted for fuel with three minutes to go. I don’t think he needed fuel after only 70 minutes and not going the last three minutes seems out of character.

So, what is the point? Porsche has been bit soooo many times for just doing it right. That is showing up with some of the best equipment, engineering, teamwork and preparation. Too often the other teams lobby the race organizations to penalize Porsche for simply being good at the job. (Read Donahue’s Unfair Advantage.)

Put this in the context of it being possible (likely?) that the Spyder can (will?) be a P1 simply with a turbo engine and adding some (how much?) weight. Note the location of the exhaust for the NA engine. You can bet that if Porsche has to add ballast to make weight, the chassis is already provisioned to accept a tungsten belly pan, a la F1.

I think Porsche wanted to win P2, but not by too much. I think they wanted to run first for a few laps while they could explain it away.

Now comes the politicking for next year.
I wonder ….

Best,
Grady

BTW, look at the cavernous amount of space in a Carrera GT – just where all the turbo plumbing could go. I hope we get some good images alongside the engine in the RS Spyder.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

OK, the race is on SPEED
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Slick track and lots of marbles...

"It smelled like German heaven"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySt9SeZl9s
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Here is an excerpt image from late in the race for your critical review.

© 2005 ALMS

Note the swept antenna (yellow arrow). The three lights (red arrow)
forward of the rear wheel are the “Position lights” indicating to
the spectators that the RS Spyder is in first place - naturally.

The wing settings green arrows) appear aggressive which makes
sense at a slow track. The mixture (blue) looks rich, which is
conservative; on the other hand I don’t have any basis for
comparison. Note the rubber marks on the front fender. I find
it interesting there isn’t any upward inflection to any.

I think the live radio commentator on Saturday got overly excited
about Sascha locking up the front tires at the top of the hill
before the Corkscrew. That is a very difficult place to try and
out-brake someone because the car is so un-weighted. That
wasn’t a pass attempt.

Best,
Grady

PS, the original cropted image is 3.2M so you can see incredable
detail. The one posted above is 39K.
Here is the original on-line 6+M image that
would make a great Erich Strenger Porsche poster.
G.

Last edited by Grady Clay; 10-16-2005 at 12:49 PM..
Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Watching on SPEED...great racing.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Went to the race yesterday just to check out the RS Spyder. Loved the sound of the engine - not at obnoxiously loud and throaty as the Corvettes or Panoz; I had earlplugs and still have ringing in my ears 18 hours later! Attached are a couple of pics.

My new screensaver!

Space age cockpit! Note track diagram.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
The heat is on!
http://www.americanlemans.com/Gallery/48/481016200512217640.JPG

"It smelled like German heaven"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ySt9SeZl9s
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

I watched the race yesterday. What a great race all around. Very entertaining and made for great TV. Let's hope all of the races next year are of this quality! (I've already got the schedule in my electronic calendar. )

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-17-2005, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Designer King

Congratulations to Penske and Porsche for a great debut!

BTW "BOO" to GM and Cadillac for their tactics in eliminating Wolf Henzler from second place during the last 2 laps to take the Speed GT crown for Cadillac.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.3:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rods; Bilstein B6; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I agree Paul!
Okay so we are all rooting for Porsche out there. But it seems a shame when an assumed radio comm. advise goes from one team to another to block the Porsche car based on the fact that they share the same base engine!.
The whole race seemed a case of nudge here and block there rather than to see who could drive fastest around a track.
I understand there will always be race tatics. But this seems more like Nascar where they are cliping the rear ends of cars to send them spinning off the track like 'bumper cars'.
Seemed like bad sportsmanship or maybe I am just a sore loser!

-Is this what GT racing has become? or has it always been like this?

Reminded me of a F1 at Monaco (about 11-12yrs ago)where Nigel Mansell was leading the race buy a huge margin (over a minute) and had a flat tire!. He limped back to pits and re entered the race about 30 secs behind Senna with about 10 laps to go. He caught up senna achieveing track record fastest times with each lap, with 2 or 3 laps to go, but Senna just zig zagged across the track blocking him from any chance of a pass. Well Monaco is such a narrow track that basically whoever gets pole could do this from the drop of the flag and you may aswell not even bother with the race!
Senna won the race but I felt inside that Mansell was by far the best driver!

rant over
1987 930 - sold 2018
1984 Carrera 3.2 RSR look
Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulporsche
BTW "BOO" to GM and Cadillac for their tactics in eliminating Wolf Henzler from second place during the last 2 laps to take the Speed GT crown for Cadillac.
OH I WAS SO P*SSED!!!! I'd be FURIOUS if I were Porsche...I'd even tell the teams to pull out of next year's series. THAT WAS COMPLETE AND TOTAL LACK OF PROFESSIONAL RACING!!! ...it wasn't even racing! WHERE WAS THE OFFICIATING?!?!?!?

...must...calm...lower...blood....pressure....

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-17-2005, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Unregistered

Grady, I could not agree more, you nailed it.
I hate the fact that Porsche has to play games, but it is becoming more and more evident that Porsche is handicapped by the other team's chip on their shoulder. Porsche can't be as good as they are capable of being without making themselves an even bigger target. Deep down most people don't want Porsche to suceed and if they do too well they will be slappped down. Same as the 917, same as the indy car, same as Grand Am over the last two years, it goes on an on.

I even noticed that the commentators were relatively subdued in their comments on the Spyder. They mentioned it because they had to, but I got the impression they deep down they didn't want Porsche to do well.
Way too many people associated with racing have the underdog mentality to an extreme where it causes them to see Porsche as an enemy. As flattering as it is, I still don't like it or think it's right. It reminds me of the way people started rooting against M.S. and Ferrari in F1, they won too much, they were too good, so they got slapped down.

If Porsche does take this car into P1 and kicks butt as many of us suspect, I wonder how long Panoz will let them play? I envision 3 or 4 RS spyder cars out there taking the podium every time, the loosers complaining, and the rules getting changed so the spyder is outlawed. Deja Vu.
It's funny that they let Audi win so many times, but I wonder if ALMS or the FIA forced Audi to get out and make the R8 cars go privateer.

I also have speculated many times how much of the engineering that went into the R8 cars came from Audi, and how much came from Porsche. Do you have any insight into that subject?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Registered

Consider, however, that the ALMS and IMSA are in different times now...they're struggling for car count. Since Porsche has already stated it plans to run a season of "testing" and then sell to customers, I would think ALMS would bend over backward for them. Many people consider the 80s as the heyday of prototype racing...with all of those customer 962s. To have customer RS Spyders racing each other (and potentially for the victory?) should be a good thing. As for P1, I got the impression we'll see a couple more Xytec chassis, along with the Audis and Dyson cars next year...and maybe more beyond? Also consider the participation of the Maser in GT1...not for points but for the sake of racing (and to help fill the field and show diversity). All in all it doesn't sound like an organization that's going to pull the rug out from under Porsche anytime soon....

Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Unregistered

Doug, I hope you are right.
But if the RS does dominate, the other teams will either jump on board and run the same car or they will complain and threaten to quit.
For some reason promoters don't like excellence, they want equality.
I suppose there is justification from the fan base but it detracts from real racing.

If you win once, you get an atta boy. If oyu win twice, you get penalty weight or smaller restrictor plates. If you win too much, you make enemies. If you dominate, they will change the rules so you can't play anymore.

Whatever happened to do your best, and if someone else is faster then step up and try and build a better car? It's easier be mediocre and complain than it is to be the best.
It's also easier for a chebby to cut off a Porsche than it is for a cadillac to make a clean pass. That was sooooooo wrong. One more reason to not want a corvette. I don't need a reason to not want a Cadillac, I don't think i will ever get that old. Plus I am so sick of hearing that led zepplin song on their commercials. I hit the mute button every time
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
it was pretty cool being there and seeing it 1st hand.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Registered

Sammy, I understand what you're saying and agree with you on all counts...especially the idea of improving yourself instead of complaining about how good everyone else is. (...well, that's sorta what you're saying.) Let's hope this progresses...well, progressively and doesn't fall into another "but what about me" racing series.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by sammyg2
It's also easier for a chebby to cut off a Porsche than it is for a cadillac to make a clean pass. That was sooooooo wrong. One more reason to not want a corvette. I don't need a reason to not want a Cadillac...
....blood...still....boiling....

Old 10-17-2005, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: