Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Just watched the race from yesterday's broadcast... was very impressed. It was one of the few ALMS races that I didn't fast forward through to get to the "good parts", as it was ALL GOOD!

I also thought the commentators were very excited by the Spyder, and spent a fair bit of time discussing it in what was a very "busy" race; lots of championships being decided, lots of great racing, etc. They were also openly amazed at how well it was keeping up with the P1's.

They also made some very interesting comments about how Penske doesn't show his cards unless he has to. They seemed to think that they purposefully "screwed up" the refeuling schedule in order to obsfucate the fuel consumption rates of the car. They also went so far as to say that they thought the car wasn't performing as well as it could have... it was only going as fast as it had to go in order to finish like it did.

All in all, it was one of the best races I've seen in ALMS, and I'm REALLY looking forward to following the Spyder in next year's season.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
It's too bad but politics and racing have always been tied together. Porsche had all of it's racing bosses here from Uwe Brettel on down. I know that they were trying for a finish, they told me as much. They did not want to try for an outright win, the drivers said they had no chance as they were down in speed by a second a lap or so during the race. They were running in 2nd for a short time as they went through their pit cycles.
Orders are being taken for the first batch of customer cars, delivery is being promised for sometime in late 2006. One of the
major GT2 teams has an order in for 2 cars, I asked them what price they were quoted and they said they didn't know the price but price was not an issue. Let's just say some teams are better financed than others.
The 2006 GT3 RSR car is exactly the same car as this years car, Porsche told one team who was interested in placing orders for next years cars to consider keeping what they had as there were no changes significant enough to require a new car. I thought that was interesting. There is no word on whether there will be a new car after that.
I spoke with Alwin Springer for a bit, I told him he looked pretty busy for a retired guy. He just smiled and said, "Hey, I slept in 'till 9am today, that's retired!". He seems quite happy to not have all the responsibility on his shoulders but he's in the middle of everything anyway.

Good race, the Penske Porsche drivers were quite pleased afterwards as was the team, the other LMP2 teams were not as happy. The LMP2 champions were pitted next to us and I saw them doing a mad scramble just at dusk, one guy ran out of the trailer with a new starter, don't know what happened there.

Great weekend for racing, I was not happy with the Speed World Challenge GT race either, Cadillac had an agenda, it was to not allow a Porsche on the podium. They got what they wanted.
Mad Max Papis was delerious with the win (as he always is) and stated on the podium that this was no longer a Porsche track, it was a Cadillac track. I hope he gets to eat those words some day. When Cadillac finds their funding with GM vanishing, we'll see who wants to drive a Cadillac.

97 C4S
'04 330i
'08 Cayenne S
'07 4.8 X-5
Old 10-17-2005, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Unregistered

I wonder how well that "old man's car" driven by Max would do against a GT3 RSR, instead of a 911 cup car?
If they were running an RSR instead of the cup car, it would take a whole bunch of corvettes to block it.

Last edited by sammyg2; 10-17-2005 at 10:25 AM..
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered

Could somebody explain to me how a four door sedan can compete in a "GT" series? That's just dumb...

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
GM = Money = "Welcome to the racetrack, how many cars did you bring!". That's a bit simplistic but ALMS and other race organizations have to fill grids, money and cars talk. I think it's amazing the Cup cars can do as well as they do up against V8 power and huge factory budgets. You should see how many people Cadillac brought, I made the mistake of letting all their team members up on the podium to celebrate with Max etc. I won't do that again, there must have been 25 guys up there.
From now on, you better drive a Porsche if you want your team on our podium (he he )

97 C4S
'04 330i
'08 Cayenne S
'07 4.8 X-5
Old 10-17-2005, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

OK, let’s talk about ’06.

It strikes me that the combination of Pelicans in attendance or participating (with ears & cameras), the current timing & scoring technology, perhaps some volunteers with access to the track TV feed and Wayne’s help – we could have a wonderful on-line semi-live Porsche Forum. The entire Porsche world can attend; well at least those who go to Pelican BBS.

All I did Saturday during the event was monitor the live T&S, read the pit notes and listen to the live on-line radio while writing about MFI and 901s and tend to the green chili.

This Forum has the talent and manpower to make something happen. Come on techies, what can be done?

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Unregistered

All it takes is money. A better question is, why did Pontiac allow a Cadillac to win in a series that Pontiac bought and paid for? Must have been some serious inter-company budgetary consideration. Next year there will be a GTO up there for sure.

I feel like Mel Gibson in consiracy theory, the racing politics are dirtier than the money they race for. Now where did I leave my foil hat?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
My guys do the Trylon (the position tower and message board) so they get a live timing and scoring feed directly from the race
officials which they patch into their computers and it shows up on the tower. Somehow, that feed might just get accidently sent directly to a Pelican feed, you never know....
Also know the video guys. This could get interesting.

97 C4S
'04 330i
'08 Cayenne S
'07 4.8 X-5
Old 10-17-2005, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Regarding the GTO, that could happen but Pontiac and TRG (Kevin Buckler) would have to switch back to the ALMS- which is always a possiblity. Kevin has that GTO running pretty well against the Cup cars is Grand Am, he could do well in Speed World Challenge against the Cup cars there as well. Looks to me like GM is spreading their money around as far as possible, they've got ALMS GT1 covered with Corvettes, Grand AM with the GTO and the GT series in Speed World Challenge with the Cadillac. Money talks indeed. Another thing that talks is TV rights, whoever has the best TV package often gets the best cars....

97 C4S
'04 330i
'08 Cayenne S
'07 4.8 X-5
Old 10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
It will be interesting to see what happens with the GM racing program in the next season or two. I see today that they posted a 1.6 BILLION dollar loss for the 3rd qtr. and their credit rating has been lowered to "junk" status. Hmm, maybe the Cadillac will be next in that regard...

I say, continue to invest in the C6-R in GT1 and put the SWC caddy back as a luxo-cruiser where it belongs (after all, does anyone really spend the $58K required for a "performance" version of a Cadillac?) and go from there.
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-17-2005, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Unregistered

We kinds got off on a tangent, I was inferring that grand-am is another way to pronounce Pontiac, but I don't see that as being a problem with ALMS.

As much as I beaotch and whine about the state of road racing in the US, I will say this: at least I don't have to get up at 4:30 AM to watch the races

I decided early in this season that I would continue to follow ALMS closely and say to heck with Grand Am.
They probably don't care tho, I'm sure they got a GTO or cadillac owner to take my place.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Registered

I'd love to see the RS Spyder against those Daytona Prototypes! How do you say "spank" in German?!?

PART OF MY SOUL: '86 911, '76 912E, '06 Cayman S, '90 911 C4, '74 911, '78 911 Targa, '01 Boxster, '70 911T, '99 Boxster (#2), '72 911T, '88 911, '99 Boxster (#1), '84 911 Turbo Look, '73 911 Targa, '88 944
Old 10-17-2005, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, probably off on a tangent but, the BS GM tactics in the SWC race, and then Max's comments following rubbed me the wrong way. My point was simply that GM might do well to spend less on both the Pontiac, I mean, Grand Am series and the Cadillac, I mean SWC series and let the chips fall as they may.

All of that being said, there were 6 hours of damn good road racing televised on Sunday afternoon - long live Speed Channel!
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-17-2005, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by ozz
All of that being said, there were 6 hours of damn good road racing televised on Sunday afternoon...
...well, there were FIVE good hours of racing on Speed...I wouldn't call the 5:00 - 6:00 hour "racing" by any stretch of the imagination...

....blood...still....boiling....

Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Unregistered

Come on Doug, tell us how you really feel
Old 10-17-2005, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered

AAAAAAUUUURRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

...hey, I feel better.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with ya Doug but, Archer worked is a$$ off as did several others during that race. So, how about - damn good road racing other than the unsportsmen-like GM antics to win the mfg title?
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-17-2005, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I enjoyed it(GT), I would have just enjoyed it more if there were less full caution yellows due to nudging and pushing techniques. But maybe this is all part of the racing?
We are all sore as we would have all like Porsche to win but to be nudged almost off the track sending him from 2nd place to 9th place in a matter of seconds kinda sucks!
There are some who might say it's unsportsmanlike and others who might say 'nice guys finish last!'.
I am just shocked how many cars can be trashed in a matter of minutes- and I'm sure they are not cheap!
Ben
1987 930 - sold 2018
1984 Carrera 3.2 RSR look
Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
I'm all for a little bumping here and there and don't consider that unsportmen like but, when you have a car that has been black-flagged and will be in for a stop and go penalty anyway (Gilotti's vette) set up what amounts to a pick, opening up the inside to let the Caddy by??? That's not just nudging and bumping in my book - and as a result, I think Henzler finshed 22th not 9th.

But - then again, maybe Gilotti just got in too hot and pushed up the track into Henzler. Ya, that must be it.
74 911 IROC
98 Panoz GTWC
Old 10-17-2005, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

A few that I took on Saturday and doctored up a little:

Old 10-17-2005, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: