Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 911 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/)
-   -   911 Rear Lens Seal -- Is there a trick to this? (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/246087-911-rear-lens-seal-there-trick.html)

acapella8 10-14-2005 12:25 PM

911 Rear Lens Seal -- Is there a trick to this?

I have Wayne's book, and have searched (and found) few articles on replacing the rear lens.

Everything is easy but the seal.

What have others found to be best practice for getting a brand new seal (my first Pelican order a bit back) into the housing and the new lens to fit properly upon it?

I'm making it too hard I think -- but it's just not working for me.

-Tom

acapella8 10-14-2005 05:12 PM

Bump, because after 3.5 hours, I'm no closer to figuring this out....

boxster03 10-14-2005 05:24 PM

think I read that the new seal being a bit thicker than an old original that has been flat for 35 yrs might require a bit longer screw to get things started. check stoddard porsche and see if they can see the screw used and maybe there is one that is the same mm width but is a bit longer.

Is that the problem? getting the screw started?

acapella8 10-14-2005 05:27 PM

No, my problem is I cannot figure out how to get the new seal (much thicker) to stay adhered to the housing....

How should it be applied into the housing so it stays?

It's far too big.

The old seal of course, was dried out, shrivelled up and at least 50% the size of this new one.

boxster03 10-14-2005 05:32 PM

where did you source the seals? might try another order from another vendor (stoddards porsche) just to see what you get but could you use just a dab of silicone in a couple of corners to hold seal in place while you screw into place?

NY65912 10-14-2005 05:33 PM

Try just a tad of 3M rubber adhesive, black color.

Good Luck

nostatic 10-14-2005 05:42 PM

assuming it is the right size, it can be done without adhesive. It just requires a lot of patience to get it to seat on the rear lens housing. It is easier if you pull the whole housing out, plus that gives you a chance to clean out crap from behind there.

At least I think that's how I did it...it was a long time ago and my mind is fuzzy. Or fizzy. Fizzy lifting drink.

jester911 10-14-2005 05:43 PM

I assume you are speaking of the taillight lens seal.
To properly seat the new seal you need to completely remove the light housing. The top of the bumper will usuallly not allow the seal to seat. Also there is usually a bunch of debris that collects in there that needs to be cleaned out.

acapella8 10-14-2005 05:50 PM

Jester-, Yes -- rear lens seal -- Guys --- I think you've hit it with removing the ENTIRE housing!! I will go try this now -- thanks to all..... (missing the CWS because of the seals)

randywebb 10-14-2005 07:08 PM

you need to remove the housing anyway - every year or so to clean out the several lbs. of rocks, grit & crud that P AG's engineers designed the housing to catch.

jtratza 10-14-2005 07:37 PM

Must be taillight time. Someone posted on this this morning. Do a search because some else posted an excellent reply on replacement. I had the same problem with mine. I ended up gluing some of the seal on the new lense after taking the housing out (also a pain) and replacing all the screws and fastners.

steve911 10-14-2005 11:13 PM

I found that what worked best for me was to glue the seal to the housing (NOT to the lens itself). That sealed out any moisture. Prior to glueing the seal, I would get water in the housing. I think the factory used adhesive on the seal also, since I found adhesive on both housings when I changed the seals and lenses several years ago.

And yes, clean out all the 'stuff' that accumulates in there while you're at. You'll be amazed at how much crap is in there - enough to pave a small road...

carnutzzz 10-15-2005 05:06 AM

(Note I amended this task list this morning as I forgot a step when I posted previously- Step #2.5)

Yes, remove the housings to install new gasket. Here are the steps (assuming you've already removed lens):

1. Apply blue masking tape to all painted surfaces around the housing (especially bumper)
2. Drill out screws with titanium bit
2.5 Remove drainplug (mine broke)
3. Carefully pull housings toward you
4. Use compressed air to blow away 9 lbs of boulders and grit
5. Use water hose if no compressed air
6. Bend half of retaining clip enough so you can remove the "cage" and nut John speaks of from the fender tab.
7. Slide new #8 U-nut (find at any auto parts store) onto tab
8. Shine flashlight around inside body cavity and inspect for rust or debris.
9. Clean outside edges of housing of all old gasket.
10. Slide housing back into place and practice fit with #8 screws (checking U-nut alignment)
11. Unscrew and carefully pull housings toward you
12. Wrap new gasket around housings (helps to enlist a friend)
13. Slide back into place.
14. Screw into place watching for gasket binding on any surfaces
15. Remove all bulbs and inspect/replace.
16. Carefully screw-in new lens- not very tight! They can crack easy!
17. Remove blue tape.

Wash the car, take some pictures, and post. Have a beer, you deserve it!

acapella8 10-15-2005 06:49 AM

Carnutz, thanks so much for the list -- it looks detailed! -- am going to try it now...

acapella8 10-15-2005 10:47 AM

FINISHED -- thanks guys, so much. Ezpecially Carnutzz for the list.

The new lens and seals look GREAT!

I will post pics soon.

-Tom

carnutzzz 10-15-2005 11:51 AM

Wow man- record time. Glad I could help.