Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Fresh Air Intake

I just installed a fresh air intake in my '85 911. Well after I was done I noticed a hose not hooked to anything hanging there. It turns out that it hooks up to the factory air box. There isn't a place to hook up this hose to my new intake. Does anyone know what this is for? What should I do with it now? Plug it? Leave it hanging there? Tie it up out of the way? Any help on this would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to steviee7
I may be wrong but I had the same issue where it came loose from my box. I think someone mentioned that it goes to the charcoal canister. (I'm not sure where it's located or what it does but I think it's for emisions.)
I would think you could just leave it.
Hope some one else can shed some light on it.

by the way did the intake help in any way?
Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Correct it goes to the charcoal cannister located in the right rear fenderwell. A number of aftermarket mounting plates with a vacuum hose connection. Won't hurt to leave it disconnected.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

!

Thanks a lot you guys. I won't worry about it then. I'm just going to tie it up out of the way. That's why I love this web site for stuff like this!!!!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cigars and 911's -- Smile

Garage
Send a message via AIM to acapella8
I had to comment quickly, I love it when MY garage ends up looking just like another Pelican's -- can of PBlaster, Stabil, and Oil. I have the same order even on my shelf.... TOO FUNNY.
2001 Audi - A6 Quattro 4.2L-V8 (love the growl)
2014 Honda Odyssey for the soccer-team/accessories
Old 10-14-2005, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Be careful and check if it isn't the breather that (stock) goes into the air intake. If that's the one...it'll "vapor" the engine compartment and make a mess.

Either find a way to hook up to similar nipple..or have it dump into a washer bottle-type device....but arrange it so it has a liquid drain valve on the bottom and a vent on top.....the little vent on top should then have a mini version of the cone filter shown as for the normal, aftermarket-style air intake.

Wil
Old 10-15-2005, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

It is definitely the hose that hooks up to the factory air box. The aftermarket intake doesn't have a place to hook this hose up. I've driven the car a couple of times and it doesn't act like it needs to be hooked up. How does it make a mess? Does the canister purge out this hose and into the air intake? That's scary..

And to answer Steviee 7's question: After driving it a couple of times I can't tell the difference. Not even in the sound department.
This was just the first part of a bigger plan. Next I'm putting on a performance exhaust and performance chip. I'm also starting to backdate my engine compartment.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 10-15-2005, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: